Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #2041
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mint says I am worth 1.6 mil but almost 800k is in my house.

Milestones I count 401k and Roth hit an all time high of $720k yesterday and I owe 29k on my house.

House will be paid off in 10 months, Retirement starts in 12/13 months.

The count down has started.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #2042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

November 1st 2019 has been the highest my portfolio has ever been. When I retired I was just hoping to stay about the same amount in my portfolio through the years, but it has exceeded my expectations. I have a lot to be thankful for.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #2043

DW and I are planning to use the constant % of current portfolio balance withdrawal strategy when we're both retired, and plan to go with 4%. As of 11/1/2019, we reached a point where a 4% withdrawal + DWs expected pension would allow annual discretionary spending that would represent a little more than 60% of total spending - offering a nice buffer.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #2044
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw two commas for the first time today!
Old 11-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #2045
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a fun milestone. Congrats to you!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #2046
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
That's a fun milestone. Congrats to you!
Thanks! I'm sure it'll dip below that fun line multiple times before the total gets high enough to stay, but seeing it for the first time is so exciting.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #2047

Well I'd better get in here quick before the market drops lol

First time saw the savings/investment accounts cross the 800k mark. My YTD rate of return is 18%. Last year it was -9%.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #2048
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
November 1st 2019 has been the highest my portfolio has ever been. When I retired I was just hoping to stay about the same amount in my portfolio through the years, but it has exceeded my expectations. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Same here. I have been setting sporadic records ever since I retired a year and a half ago. Still worry a little about sequence risk but.....

Feel much more comfortable about blowing the dough now.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:11 AM   #2049
Give me a forum ...

I total the RE investment NW monthly. Like many others, hit a new all time high recently in spite of funding 2.5 years of RE. Also hit a new $million multiple. Likely to blow some soon. It goes against the saver's muscle memory big time, but what is it for anyway?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #2050
Give me a forum ...

Multiple daily highs recently too, but only up ~5% since retirement, so still very conscious of SORR.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Mint says I am worth 1.6 mil but almost 800k is in my house.

Milestones I count 401k and Roth hit an all time high of $720k yesterday and I owe 29k on my house.

House will be paid off in 10 months, Retirement starts in 12/13 months.

The count down has started.
That's great! Keep it going. It will feel nice when you get the house paid off. Will you downsize in house after retiring?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:06 AM   #2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
That's great! Keep it going. It will feel nice when you get the house paid off. Will you downsize in house after retiring?
No plans to downsize. Even though the house value is high I would have to leave California and move to a LCOL state to see any money.

Plan has always been to keep expenses low in retirement by having no house payment. As I age if I need more funds I will always have the option to sell.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #2053

Quote:
No plans to downsize. Even though the house value is high I would have to leave California and move to a LCOL state to see any money.

Plan has always been to keep expenses low in retirement by having no house payment. As I age if I need more funds I will always have the option to sell.
Similar situation here - house is a large percentage of networth, but since it's paid off, it allows for a low expense place to live in a nice part of the world. If TSHTF, we can sell, and buy or rent someplace cheaper. In the meantime our investments give us plenty to live off of.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #2054

Quote:

Plan has always been to keep expenses low in retirement by having no house payment.
I'm not sure where in Northern CA you live, but starting housing values range from low $100Ks to over $1M, depending on where you are (SF, Sacramento vs. small towns). Chico and Redding have reasonable prices, if not reasonable weather, for example.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #2055
Recycles dryer sheets

With yesterdays stock market close we hit an investable net worth of just over $4 mil. I am sure it will dip below that point at some time, but at least I can say I made it at some point.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #2056
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
With yesterdays stock market close we hit an investable net worth of just over $4 mil. I am sure it will dip below that point at some time, but at least I can say I made it at some point.
Wow, that is really impressive...Congrats
Old 11-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #2057

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I'm not sure where in Northern CA you live, but starting housing values range from low $100Ks to over $1M, depending on where you are (SF, Sacramento vs. small towns). Chico and Redding have reasonable prices, if not reasonable weather, for example.
We rent in Castro Valley,Ca. Home is Orange County,Ca. Can’t wait to move back to my paid for home in 12 months.

SoCal is still nicer and cheaper all the way around than NoCal but it is true there are cheaper places to live in California.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #2058
Give me a forum ...

In three and a half years into retirement our investment (not Net Worth) as of today has grown to over 1m more then the day I retired. Like the rest it has hit an all time high but I know it will dip back down again then back up.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #2059

Not a financial milestone, but a personal one. We just celebrated out 12th anniversary. We were both widowed, and met each other on a grief recovery website.
I am hoping to make it to our 25th. I will be 94, and DW will be 89
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_1588xN.1409744346_lh8m.jpg (405.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #2060

Quote:
SoCal is still nicer and cheaper all the way around than NoCal
There are a lot of folk in Northern California who would disagree with that statement (the "nicer" part) and, of course, it depends on exactly what part of NoCal you are comparing with what part of SoCal. I lived in LA for 20 years and have now lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and appreciate both, for different reasons.

Closed Thread