Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #2061
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
There are a lot of folk in Northern California who would disagree with that statement (the "nicer" part) and, of course, it depends on exactly what part of NoCal you are comparing with what part of SoCal. I lived in LA for 20 years and have now lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and appreciate both, for different reasons.
Well to each his own. I can’t state strongly enough how much I dislike NorCal.

The homeless situation up here is out of control.

Thank goodness my commute is 1.7 miles. The traffic here is deadly. I feel for all the super commuters.

I will happily leave NorCal to all people who love it
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #2062
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived in Sonoma County (40 miles north of SF) for 3 years and loved all the hiking opportunities! Point Reyes, Marin County Open Space, Mount Tamalpais...so many world class spots and majority were well maintained, free and stunning!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #2063

DH gave his notice last month, and is retiring at the end of the year.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #2064
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
DH gave his notice last month, and is retiring at the end of the year.
That is great news! I hope you two have something fun planned for the new year.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #2065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That is great news! I hope you two have something fun planned for the new year.
Thank you G - His last day we are running to the airport and catching a plane to Washington to visit DS, DDIL & of course the little Princess - DGD.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #2066
Dryer sheet wannabe

250k in my 401 at the close of day. First number since 100k that has been like “niiice”. Onwards and upwards!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #2067
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New highs, new milestones.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #2068
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
New highs, new milestones.
Yes it’s great to watch. Hope it keeps chugging along.
Milestone in Retirement
Old 12-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #2069
Recycles dryer sheets

Milestone in Retirement

I'm retiring from full time work on Dec 17 and will work part time starting in January. My department had a "Good luck in your next Chapter" party for me on Friday afternoon. The party was pleasant (it was held at the boss' home) - and I said nice things about department.

That said, I feel 20 lbs lighter knowing that any part time work I do for them now is mostly completing projects and consulting.

I think the admin has allowed the loudest voices to set policies instead of hearing all input. Also - there is a distinct preference for the younger, "just get it done" mentality with less focus on details or its impact on the customers. I feel like the "old grumpy guy from Sesame Street" but I will no longer be concerned about the direction of growth (or lack of).
Old 12-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #2070
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
I feel like the "old grumpy guy from Sesame Street" but I will no longer be concerned about the direction of growth (or lack of).
Which one? Statler or Waldorf?

Long time friend/neighbor (though I moved this year!, so no longer neighbor) and I used to go to a neighborhood bar to watch local football sometimes. Same folks there all the time. One of the bartenders nicknamed us Statler and Waldorf...

Our long suffering NFL team, the Cincinnati Bengals, were the source of many of our grumpy comments...
Retirement milestones
Old 12-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #2071
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement milestones

Thanks oldphd.,
I am Waldorf !!

Old 12-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #2072
Dryer sheet aficionado

Finding myself back over 5 million investable assets again. Who knows if it’ll last (I’m FIRE’d, so it’s not endlessly growing)... someday it’ll go down way below that, but if things go well, maybe it’ll grow a bit too. I have this crazy idea that if it goes over 5.4, I can funnel some of it into a vacation house.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #2073
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am parting with a chunk of my investments to give my younger son a large down payment on a house. When I told him I was going to do it, the tears rolled down his cheeks and he had to walk away to collect himself.
He has never asked for anything, and I am happy to give him some of his inheritance now, when he needs it.
I changed the beneficiaries on the account to give the balance to my other son. Previously they were 50/50 beneficiaries.
We have nowhere near the $ 5 mil another poster has, but our expenses are basically covered by SS and small pensions. I use my RMD to gift all 4 sons, charity and to pay taxes.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #2074

Woo-hoo! Hit $2.5M in investments, $3M NW today! (Even though it's just psychological, each round number helps me feel more like we're FI, and we plan to RE after the kid finishes college.)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #2075
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ how many years down the road will retirement be till kid is done with college??
Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #2076

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ how many years down the road will retirement be till kid is done with college??

This is their senior year of high school, so about 4.5 years from now work will really feel optional! (It kind of is now, but we want to travel a lot, and be able to spend freely, and have a big margin for recessions/corrections.)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #2077
Recycles dryer sheets

As of this month DW and I are completely debt free. Two months ago we bought our new house with cash and just sold the old one and the equity was about 4 times it's loan balance. We also have ample retirement funds that should last us for the rest of our lives, no matter how long we live. Life is good.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #2078
Recycles dryer sheets

12/15/19 = $830k, all time high.

looked back at my post from mid 2013, it was about $250k. Hope to hit $1 mil within two years. only $3k left on mortgage. I think I'll cut back a bit on the contribution, enjoy life a little and just coast towards the "magic number". Work is ok, not too stressful, doing something I'm proud of.

I heard 2nd 500k comes much easier than the first, seems to be true.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
12/15/19 = $830k, all time high.

looked back at my post from mid 2013, it was about $250k. Hope to hit $1 mil within two years. only $3k left on mortgage. I think I'll cut back a bit on the contribution, enjoy life a little and just coast towards the "magic number". Work is ok, not too stressful, doing something I'm proud of.

I heard 2nd 500k comes much easier than the first, seems to be true.
Nicely done. Annual planning shows us getting OUR first half shortly which is cool with me since we are from the dreaded Xennial Generation, me w/o a degree, and DW a social worker over here defying all odds by merely LBYM and being smart with our dough. We have enough left on the mortgage that I will be happy when it finally starts with a 2 sometimes in 2020! Debt at all time lows, equity at all time highs, investments at records, made some pretty decent milestones this year. Work is interesting. If I could tell y'all the bureaucratic BS that is happening you would be shocked. I'll write a book about it someday, but all I can say is it's literally legendary, been all over the news etc etc heh. 2020 work plan looks solid, I'll try to tune the noise out. Done w*rking for 2019, god bless bnkr hrs. Doin' some travelling for the holidays, and next milestone is end of January when I can file Cap Gains forms along with taxes Was informed the books look record setting so bonus should be in order in Q1

The milestone of the year was refi to 15yr. I dropped the closing cost and paid down to close @2.75% over my bday in July!
Incredible...IN Jan balance will be back to where it was pre refi rolled in closing cost so we will plow ahead with excellent low interest rates.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #2080

I ran my numbers this morning, and it looks like I've hit a few milestones.

1) All time high for investible assets... $1,940,565. That is no big deal, itself I guess, as lots of people are hitting new peaks with the way this market is going.

2) I have a gain so far this year, of $401,149 (just appreciation, reinvestment of dividends, etc, NOT counting any extra investments). First year I've ever seen a year where I've popped over $400K like that. Of course, the year isn't over. And the downturn at the end of 2018 helped a bit. Still, it feels nice!

3) I've "made back" the down payment I made on my house last year, and then some. I peaked out in late August of 2018, with $1,934,699. My investments actually eked out some slight gains in September, but I also cashed out around $169,000 for the down payment, which brought my overall investible assets down by a good amount. So, that $1.934M was sort of a psychological barrier to me.

Of course, all these little milestones could get wiped out in a moment's notice, but for the time being, it feels nice.
Closed Thread