Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #2101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVFIRE View Post
Paid off my mortgage on 12/31. Looking forward to 2020!

Congratulations, that must feel great!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #2102
Recycles dryer sheets

Last month, we passed $1M in invested assets (combination of 401k, Roth, HSA and taxable accounts), picked up our second comma!

We also have $220k of shares in a small privately held commercial REIT (two strip malls) that have yielded about $20-26k/year for the last 4-5 years, paying our mortgage and then some. So our overall net worth has been over 1M for while, but it’s still gratifying to see.

We think we’ll get another $2-300k until trying to pay down the mortgage ($116k), with goal of FI(+-ER) at $2M in 7-8 years. I really feel like we’re getting momentum!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #2103
Recycles dryer sheets

M
Share your FIRE Milestones
Old 01-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #2104
Recycles dryer sheets

No comment.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #2105
Confused about dryer sheets

Reached 500k in my taxable account.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #2106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRR1865 View Post
Reached 500k in my taxable account.
A cool half a mil. Congratulations!

Old 01-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #2107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Happy New Year! We hit our personal goal of reaching $3 million NW by the time DH hit 50, which was last month! [emoji322] Our NW is at $3.1 million. DH will keep working to at least 55 to keep padding the nest egg.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #2108

Attained two milestones this year. Total amount of dividends and interest for the year exceeded $180,000. That is a 22% increase over last year. Total investable assets exceeded $4.5 million for the first time.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #2109
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi everyone new to the site-love it!

Our milestones on New Years Day:

Real estate equity $1.7M
Business valuation $ 4.2M
401k/IRA/Stocks etc $1.2M

Looking to retire in 3 years.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #2110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did the annual end of year net worth calculation and after five and a half years of retirement my net worth increased by 22%.

Despite my prodigious and unsustainable spending I've reached a new high.

Which is good and sufficient reason for my recommendation to...wait for it...

Blow That Dough!

Have fun -
Old 01-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #2111
Recycles dryer sheets

Just completed my January update. We just hit $570k NW or 26% of what's required for us to be FI. Given recent change to highly aggressive asset mix (89/0/11) and if current market conditions persist, should be FI in 8.5 yrs. I know these conditions won't last but one can dream, right?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXFIRE2034 View Post
Just completed my January update. We just hit $570k NW or 26% of what's required for us to be FI. Given recent change to highly aggressive asset mix (89/0/11) and if current market conditions persist, should be FI in 8.5 yrs. I know these conditions won't last but one can dream, right?
It is good to know you are aware that these conditions probably won't last. Stock valuations appear high, but interest rates are low. So who knows what will happen?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #2113
Recycles dryer sheets

Ended the year with 1M (almost to the dollar) in Retirement accounts. Net worth around 1.25M right now. A couple more years to W**k... so here's hoping for some more records in the Stockmarket!!
Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #2114
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #2115
Dryer sheet wannabe

I paid off the remainder of the mortgage as a Christmas gift for DH last month. This is the first time we have been debt free in our adult lives! Now we are using the money we were paying on the mortgage to help max out our 401Ks/457 plan/IRAs/HSA with catch-up contributions this year. Plan is to retire in 4-5 years!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #2116

14 years ago I came across this website and set a FIRE number, accounting for inflation

Today for the first time my assets (ignoring tax due in April) reached 90% of that original target FIRE number. Yay!

Unfortunately... I'm changing the target number! I enjoy HCOL cities and I'm bad at spending money, so the new FIRE target is 50% more than the original. That'll support an after-tax SWR that's about triple my current spending. It should be enough of a buffer to stop my brain from making excuses for not spending money on things I enjoy
Old 01-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post
14 years ago I came across this website and set a FIRE number, accounting for inflation

Today for the first time my assets (ignoring tax due in April) reached 90% of that original target FIRE number. Yay!

Unfortunately... I'm changing the target number! I enjoy HCOL cities and I'm bad at spending money, so the new FIRE target is 50% more than the original. That'll support an after-tax SWR that's about triple my current spending. It should be enough of a buffer to stop my brain from making excuses for not spending money on things I enjoy
Welcome to the forum. Why not introduce yourself in the Hi, I am section so we can get to know you better? You can tell us as much or as little as you want about yourself.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Welcome to the forum. Why not introduce yourself in the Hi, I am section so we can get to know you better? You can tell us as much or as little as you want about yourself.
I'm not too chatty. Been lurking here for over a decade, after all

There aren't many places where it's socially acceptable to celebrate accumulating wealth, so I'll probably post the occasional milestone here

My goal is to grow my nest egg so that by sometime in my 40s it could support renting anywhere in the US without worrying about how much money I spend every day on restaurants, classes, the arts, etc. Currently in my 30s and single with ~65x my yearly post-tax spend saved across taxable and retirement accounts. I want to double my spending by the time I declare FIRE, though, so I've still got a ways to go!
Old 01-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #2119

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Did the annual end of year net worth calculation and after five and a half years of retirement my net worth increased by 22%.

Despite my prodigious and unsustainable spending I've reached a new high.

Which is good and sufficient reason for my recommendation to...wait for it...

Blow That Dough!

Have fun -
Off topic but...

We all know Robbie and we all know his slogan "Blow that dough". Can I suggest we go with just "BTD" from now on?

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 01-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #2120
Full time employment: Posting here.

One digit increase at the hundred-thousand digit. Like many people here, reached an all-time high. Although I have to say I'm getting nervous with the things I've been reading about the Fed and their latest "not QE".
Closed Thread