Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #2321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Big milestone for us today - DW's first teacher retirement pension payment hit the bank!

It is a humble amount, but COLAd. Plus it has the double benefit of putting us now in the state retirees health plan and us now paying the retirees rate. Heretofore, we were paying the COBRA amount for approx. a bronze plan - $1384/month for the two of us (ouch! - that's gonna leave a mark....). Now the same coverage is $218/month deducted directly from the pension payment.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #2322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Big milestone for us today - DW's first teacher retirement pension payment hit the bank!.

Congratulations, that’s a big milestone! I’m sure I’ve said this before, but what’s almost as good is when the second deposit lands in the bank. That’s when it sinks in that “hey, these are gonna keep coming!!!”

Old 08-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #2323
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just dealing with a 401k rollover and realized my net worth has apparently hit a new high of $1.6M. With my wife's holdings that puts as a household at over $2M, which is neat. I expect that to drop a lot soon, but fun to pass the marker.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #2324
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-and-ski View Post
Nice recovery! Care to share the cause of the setback, so the rest of us can try to avoid it?
Divorce. Asset split took somewhat over half. Alimony liability was the rest. Between those two I saw an over 80% drop in NW. Alimony was complete in 2019. I owed child support too, but never counted that as a liability because lenders don't treat it as such. Last child support payment was this month, so it's gravy from here
Old 08-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #2325
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
Congrats! The first $1M is the hardest. If you (we) have any luck with the markets, your second and third should follow in about 5 years and 7 years, respectively! The snowball effect of compounding earnings and contributions make a huge difference in the rate of accumulation!
Thanks! I am quitting w*rk 3/2025 at the latest, so I doubt the third will happen.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #2326
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Divorce. Asset split took somewhat over half. Alimony liability was the rest. Between those two I saw an over 80% drop in NW. Alimony was complete in 2019. I owed child support too, but never counted that as a liability because lenders don't treat it as such. Last child support payment was this month, so it's gravy from here
That's interesting. I always struggle about plotting household NW, vs NW per capita. One person households that are retired spend less, on average, than two-person households of retired people. Two one-person households could shack up and combine their NW!
Old 08-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #2327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
I know your pain. Paid 577k in alimony between house value and alimony payments. Still retired at 57 y.o.
Good to see your recovery.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #2328
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-and-ski View Post
That's interesting. I always struggle about plotting household NW, vs NW per capita. One person households that are retired spend less, on average, than two-person households of retired people. Two one-person households could shack up and combine their NW!

I've used household NW while married and now remarried since late 2016.

DW did not bring many assets (also divorced), but she has since developed a great income, corporate benefits, and the same burning desire to RE. More importantly, we share the same concrete retirement goals. I am lucky.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #2329
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I know your pain. Paid 577k in alimony between house value and alimony payments. Still retired at 57 y.o.
Good to see your recovery.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #2330
Recycles dryer sheets

1.5M in investments as of today. Woot!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #2331

Not a financial goal, but a goal I set a year ago to a accomplish before retirement date. I saw below 200 lbs at this mornings weigh-in. It's been 30 years since I've been this light - 199.6lbs.

I started actively dieting in Sept. 2019 @ 265 lbs. The real incentive was my annual physical hadn't gone too well and my physician was talking about starting me on both blood pressure meds and a statin. He agreed to delay while I attempted lifestyle changes. My numbers then/now:

.......................... Sept 2019 .........Today
Weight..................265 lbs..............199.6 lbs
BMI......................32 (obese)......... 24 (normal)
Blood pressure .....155/95...............116/68
HbA1c.................6.0(prediabetic).....4.6 (low normal)

I dropped the first 45 lbs pretty fast in 3 months. The last 20 lbs have been a slow grind, although that's somewhat intentional. I'll find out the rest of my progress in a couple weeks at annual physical. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now, at 200 lbs I feel good as that's the weight I was in college. (I'm 6'4")

I retire in 7 weeks, and I'll be doing it at the same weight I started my career at
Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #2332

Nicely done, bada bing! To your health! <raises glass>

But if your cholesterol and/or blood pressure don't come down, don't feel bad. I had high cholesterol even when I was a physically active vegetarian at a healthy weight, it's sometimes genetic. My blood pressure is fine, but I've seen a few friends have it go from healthy to dangerous in a very short time in their 40s, and their degree of fitness ran the spectrum, so it wasn't due to a poor diet or lack of exercise.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #2333
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post

Very nice !! you deserve to dance
Old 08-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #2334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
Not a financial goal, but a goal I set a year ago to a accomplish before retirement date. I saw below 200 lbs at this mornings weigh-in. It's been 30 years since I've been this light - 199.6lbs.

I started actively dieting in Sept. 2019 @ 265 lbs. The real incentive was my annual physical hadn't gone too well and my physician was talking about starting me on both blood pressure meds and a statin. He agreed to delay while I attempted lifestyle changes. My numbers then/now:

I dropped the first 45 lbs pretty fast in 3 months. The last 20 lbs have been a slow grind, although that's somewhat intentional. I'll find out the rest of my progress in a couple weeks at annual physical. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now, at 200 lbs I feel good as that's the weight I was in college. (I'm 6'4")

I retire in 7 weeks, and I'll be doing it at the same weight I started my career at
Good job.
200 pounds should still get you through the Alaska winters.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #2335

1.2 mil networth ... paid off a lot of mortgage debt this year. $156K mortgage beginning of 2020, now my mortgage is $113K .. aiming to bring down my mortgage balance to $88K by end of the year. Want to pay off my mortgage before I retire in 3 years.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #2336
Give me a forum ...

Just did some checking on accounts etc. and I would say I'm worth more now, then ever before. Not talking net worth but portfolio worth since February of 2020. Always interesting that the DOW is still down ~2000 points but still value is greater.

I'm sure most can say the same thing.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #2337

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Just did some checking on accounts etc. and I would say I'm worth more now, then ever before. Not talking net worth but portfolio worth since February of 2020. Always interesting that the DOW is still down ~2000 points but still value is greater.

I'm sure most can say the same thing.
Yeah, same here. All time high, despite having sold off a bunch of equities in February. It helps that my wife still w*rks and so still contributes to her 401K.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #2338
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hit a milestone today, and boy does it feel great! Today's earnings pushed me over 1 million in invested assets. I am sure I will get to experience this many more times, but it's awesome to see it appear for the first time. Took about 3 years after initially hitting the same number in total net worth.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #2339
Give me a forum ...

^ that is exciting for sure. I wish you many more millions through the years.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #2340
Give me a forum ...

The last four weeks have been very good to us stock-wise - thirteen new highs for us in the market and eleven in net worth. If the market holds it's value for a couple weeks and we collect our rent we will manage to hit a million dollar mark before quarterly taxes knock us down a bit. That will be pretty exciting, since it will also be before we bump our net worth number up based on what the property tax man says our "true cash value" on the rentals and homes are. We also have the sale of our 9 unit college apartments rolling right along - so smoothly it makes me feel like we left a bunch on the table. We are carrying the contract and all contingencies have been met - we'll see about a thousand less/month as rental profit plus any appreciation, but it will reduce the maintenance load a bunch. Just looked and the last million took under 20 months. Holy snax!