Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #2361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sooooo close to our previous one-day major milestone, but not quite yet. One more good market day, though, and I'll start feeling better about "involuntary retirement"!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #2362
Full time employment: Posting here.

My son's Fidelity accounts, Including all his money, checking, 401k, Roth, taxable, just crossed the $100,000 mark.

He is 23, and graduated from college and started work in June 2019.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #2363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
My son's Fidelity accounts, Including all his money, checking, 401k, Roth, taxable, just crossed the $100,000 mark.

He is 23, and graduated from college and started work in June 2019.
Congrats. He is on his way to ER.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #2364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Double-comma club if you add up all my investable assets, but only just barely.

Including my home, I reckon I'm over $1.3M.

I plan on semi-FIRE before I reach $2M, but we shall see. Man plans, God laughs.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #2365
Recycles dryer sheets

I have $1.3M in home (paid off) and lately crossed $1M mark in savings (both pretax and after tax). Feel really poor, as property tax reached $14K and keep climbing and market hit records where substantial drop is possible in near future.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #2366
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped tracking my expenses.

Have been tracking income, & expenses for 40 years. My goal was to reach point where I have enough money. Made it, now onto the next goal.
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:49 PM   #2367

In late September, we closed on our first retirement home, a 3/2.5 with a pool, in a gated community on Hawaii Island. Two weeks later, we actually moved here. Still w$rking remotely, but ever so close to RE. We took on a mortgage for the first time in 7 years, but with an interest rate below 2.7%, I don't feel so bad (and the house has already appreciated more in one month than two years' worth of interest payments).
Old 10-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Great View Post
I have $1.3M in home (paid off) and lately crossed $1M mark in savings (both pretax and after tax). Feel really poor, as property tax reached $14K and keep climbing and market hit records where substantial drop is possible in near future.
Do you live in CA? Or Hawaii?

I don't pretend to be able to predict the market...but I do dial back my equities whenever the market approaches an all-time high.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #2369
Confused about dryer sheets

Retirement starts November 1. 58yrs old. Have $3mil now with lump sum pension to be paid in December of $1.548mil. House and real estate value $600k. Still have a high school aged young person. One in college. Married. Thoughts ?
Im primarily concerned about Sequence of return risk. What am I missing ? Thanks
Katoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #2370
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Do you live in CA? Or Hawaii?

I don't pretend to be able to predict the market...but I do dial back my equities whenever the market approaches an all-time high.
In California, SF Bay Area. I know it may sound stupid but I like this place. And besides that, I'm still working and potential employers are all around. The downside it is expensive, even with paid off house to live here.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #2371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoslake View Post
Retirement starts November 1. 58yrs old. Have $3mil now with lump sum pension to be paid in December of $1.548mil. House and real estate value $600k. Still have a high school aged young person. One in college. Married. Thoughts ?
Im primarily concerned about Sequence of return risk. What am I missing ? Thanks
Why don't you start a thread on what asked. You will get some great information and knowledge from folks that can help you and answer your questions.

You have done great but this thread is more on your milestones. Not on what you may need before you retire.
Good Luck.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #2372
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoslake View Post
What are you missing: Any indication of what your expenses are. Not mut we can do to advise you until we know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Why don't you start a thread on what asked. You will get some great information and knowledge from folks that can help you and answer your questions.

You have done great but this thread is more on your milestones. Not on what you may need before you retire.
Good Luck.
^^^^ What Street said!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote