Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #1001
Recycles dryer sheets

We reached 100% on Firecalc. Our lifestyle wouldn't be very luxurious, but it's a nice thing anyway. Now I just feel like any additional income is just gravy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #1002
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Reached $2.4M NW due to rapidly increased home equity. Investment portfolio is at 1.86M, not much of an increase due to flat YTD market. Ready to call it an ER soon.
You mirror our NW. Will continue P/T till Spring and a miracle if I make it thru summer. Just spending some small sums to get a few mid-ticket items done and then off for good.

Biggest upset for me has been missing key fishing days on the few days I do work. Will take care of that problem soon
Old 10-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #1003
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
We reached 100% on Firecalc. Our lifestyle wouldn't be very luxurious, but it's a nice thing anyway. Now I just feel like any additional income is just gravy.
That must be a great feeling. Congrats!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post

We hit that mark sometime last year...and yes, it is for a controlled budget for us, too. It is a great feeling indeed!!! Congratulations!! Hubby has decided to continue to work a few more years to add some gravy to our projected retiree budget. The beautiful thing is that he loves his job, but if it gets to a point where he doesn't love it - he feels the freedom to walk. I think just having the freedom to do that has made him enjoy his job all the more, as he just doesn't let things get to him much now. The beauty of being FIRED.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #1005

Youngest son started work as accountant today. Middle son accepted job with IRS international division for after next year's bar exam. Looks like we've dodged rebounding children--and, even better, looks like we'll have one on each of the East/West coasts, and one in chicago, which are good places to visit. :-)

Clock is starting to tick faster as we get closer to late summer of '17--DW will interview a potential replacement in a few days.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
You mirror our NW. Will continue P/T till Spring and a miracle if I make it thru summer. Just spending some small sums to get a few mid-ticket items done and then off for good.

Biggest upset for me has been missing key fishing days on the few days I do work. Will take care of that problem soon
I am thinking to retire before this year ends. Got a couple of big ticket items out of the way myself. Fighting the urge to work a few more months to replenish cash spent on the said ticket items.

Training myself mentally fit for life without steady (good) income. It's easy money as one of my friends reminded me. But the easy money is taking the best year of my life, OMY at a time.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #1007

Yesterday, DW finally told her boss she was retiring at the end of the year. Our deal had been she would retire early, and I would go at the normal time. She had a terrible case of OMY, but finally, at age 57, has had enough. Her risk of stroke caused by stress just went down greatly.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 11-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #1008
Recycles dryer sheets

As of yesterday's close, my investable assets (401k, TSP, IRA's and Taxable accounts) crossed over $240k. Wife and I are both 33 and have 2 small kids. Proud of our accomplishment!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #1009
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
As of yesterday's close, my investable assets (401k, TSP, IRA's and Taxable accounts) crossed over $240k. Wife and I are both 33 and have 2 small kids. Proud of our accomplishment!

You should be! When I was your age I was broke and going through a divorce. I managed to get back on plan and still retired at 56. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #1010
Recycles dryer sheets

I broke the $8mm personal net worth threshold this week, with an additional $1.13mm for the kids education. If I can get up to $8.5 on this rally, I am going to sell some stock, pay the tax and hopefully buy more bonds at slightly better yields. If I can do that, I have no idea what I'll do! Maybe downsize and grow a beard, who knows...
Old 11-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #1011
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinCT View Post
If I can get up to $8.5 on this rally, I am going to sell some stock, pay the tax and hopefully buy more bonds at slightly better yields. If I can do that, I have no idea what I'll do! Maybe downsize and grow a beard, who knows...
Maybe change your forum name - with those numbers you aren't stuck anywhere.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #1012
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe change your forum name - with those numbers you aren't stuck anywhere.
Ha! That's what my wife says. Real estate market maybe firming so might be able to sell my oversized McMansion pretty soon- what a mistake and serves me right.
Congrats to Hausfrau
Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #1013
Confused about dryer sheets

Congrats to Hausfrau

You should be very proud of yourself
Old 11-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #1014
Dryer sheet aficionado

My net worth dashboard on Personal Capital just crossed the $9.5MM mark. Had I perfectly timed my exit and re-entry into the markets recently I would probably be around $10MM (but had I stayed in would have probably locked in $400k of losses so not complaining.

$10MM net worth includes:
approx $1M of primary residence equity
$5M of investment real estate holdings (which is not at all liquid but NYC commercial real estate seems to be bulletproof for the time being and income producing...)

$3M taxable account
$520k IRA/401(k)
$120k cash

Still working but very seriously considering packing it in ...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #1015
Confused about dryer sheets

My wife and I hit the $2m NW mark last week.
I turned 36 two weeks ago, that was a nice birthday surprise.
We have 2 small kids, and are hoping to FIRE by 2/2/2022
Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #1016
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last week wife and I passed the $600k mark. Combining 401's, roths, cash and tax accounts. Im 32...shes 31. No debt! (we rent)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #1017
Recycles dryer sheets

Last month my son, who recently completed his degree in construction science at Texas A&M, started his first professional job with a major homebuilder. It's a major milestone for DW and I to have him gainfully employed.

By the way, if I may continue in the proud father role, he told us that his new boss embarrassed him a bit on his first day by introducing him as, "This is the young man I mentioned that had a perfect score on the Wonderlic test."

They use that problem solving/aptitude test during their hiring process, and apparently a perfect score is quite unusual.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #1018

My early stab at my 2015 federal tax return indicates I will no longer have a carry-over loss. As sad as it is to admit, I've seen that -$3,000 for as long as I can remember.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #1019
Recycles dryer sheets

Finished the first ten years of retirement from age 55 to 65 with the same real portfolio value as retirement day, due to no-COLA pension income. Are we finished with FI/RE and starting normal retirement?
That decade was the best years of my life, thank you E-R.org.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #1020

About one year ago I decided to put my business on the market and IF it sold, retire. If not, work until Jan 1, 2016 and do a "lock and walk"...In my situation, my business, if I got one year of income out of a sale, that would be a happy day.
Sept 18, 2015 closed the deal, but buyer wanted me to stay on for 2 half-days/week until March 1, 2016, so I am in that phase.
Not sure I qualify for "early", as I will be 62.5 years old in March. Started in my business 38 years ago. Signed a "non-compete", so I'm done.

I have a 97% chance of not having to eat Alpo in my last years. Me being me, I can't stop worrying about that 3%....
Closed Thread