Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #1541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhin View Post
This is my first post and next to last day of work. I have been lurking around on many threads and have learned a ton. I am not really RE, I'm 62 but feel 24 and don't plan to start SS until 66 or maybe 70, if the market cooperates. I hit $1.1M IA this week and am ready for FREEDOM!
Davhin, what was your first day of freedom like? I too will be 62 when I retire and will wait for SS until 66. I am already planning that day!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #1542

Paid off the mortgage today! Right on schedule, fifteen years after signing the loan docs, but it really feels great.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #1543
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats cathy63!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Paid off the mortgage today! Right on schedule, fifteen years after signing the loan docs, but it really feels great.
Congratulations!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #1545
Recycles dryer sheets

I just reached one year of being FIREd (I'm now 62), taking monthly draws from nest egg. Not in two comma club but my net worth is more than it was last year. Still not feeling comfortable BEING retired, but it actually only just got started as I was major caregiver to mom. (She died in July at 95.) Feeling a bit disorganized in my bereavement. I am determined to sit still until January before making some "Here is what I am going to do with my life" sort of plans. The house and garden look a lot better tho!
Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #1546
Full time employment: Posting here.

OHjosh - that's certainly quite a bit of change in your life. Congratulations on one year of FIRE and best wishes on your bereavement process. Waiting a year before making big decisions is probably a smart move.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #1547

We hit the 2x 2 comma club today in invested assets and savings.
About 3 weeks ago I reached the two comma club in only my personal 403b invested assets, but today--including DW's 401k & IRAs and savings--we hit the 2x 2 comma, at least briefly.
20 years ago the goal was 1300k, which I figured would allow us to retire relatively comfortably at 66 with Social Security; we're 10 and 14 years ahead of schedule.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #1548
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Rob. Does 2x2 mean u and ur wife both have invested a mill? Great job!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #1549

Yes; that's it. It'll be a long time before another milestone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Congrats Rob. Does 2x2 mean u and ur wife both have invested a mill? Great job!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #1550
Recycles dryer sheets

Total investments (retirement accounts + taxable brokerage account) just passed $500k. Onward and upward!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Yes; that's it. It'll be a long time before another milestone!
There's another milestone that you/DW might hit soon, given that you're in the 2x2 comma club.

It is:

1. NW => Total Lifetime SS (W2) Income.

2. An alternative (for those with substantial Pensions, annuities, etc.) is:
NPV of (All Investments + Guaranteed Income Sources) => Total Lifetime SS Income.

As an example, assume 'Total Lifetime SS Income' (which you can get from the SS website) = $3.0 MM

For method #1, take your current NW & compare to $3.0 MM
For method #2, take current NW + NPV of guaranteed income streams (you choose the discount rate) & compare to $3.0 MM

I can't claim credit for this "milestone"; I read it from another poster (can't remember who). But, I think it's very cool to have "accumulated more equivalent NW than the total income you've had over your lifetime" (in a manner of speaking). BTW, I know the 'time value of money' is not accounted for but, for this milestone, I'm OK with that.

Check it out and see if you're close.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #1552

Keep at it. The first 500k is the hardest. (12 years ago, for us.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0bL0blaw View Post
Total investments (retirement accounts + taxable brokerage account) just passed $500k. Onward and upward!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #1553
Recycles dryer sheets

My 40K finally hit a half mill Monday. That only took 28 years.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
My 40K finally hit a half mill Monday. That only took 28 years.
That's sure to be a good feeling. I know it was for us. If history is any indicator the next 500 will not take nearly as long.

Fine Print: past performance is not an indicator of future results.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #1555
Recycles dryer sheets

Crossed $2 million in investments today. Along with some rental properties and a paid-off house, our ER plan is taking shape. Trying to stay motivated at my day job - some days are really difficult!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #1556

Now have over 2mil under advisement with 7 clients. Unfortunately not all is mine, and managing others money isn't as gratifying as managing my own, but people trust me so I'm legitimized.

As odd as it is, I've found it most unifying to analogize money to a horse race, horses, the jockey's that ride them, the stable's they live in and the nurturing they get.

It's easy to compare Strong Horses, Large Horses, to Large Growth Stocks like AAPL for instance.

And that you wan't at least three horses in the race equally balanced, a small, med and large horse (SmallCap, LargeCap). And that these US horses are fairly stable and consistent etc.

Easy to explain trimming the fat, for the losers, and rebalancing the winners to keep the horses running the same race at a similar pace. So easy to compare rabalancing this way.

The first horse I advise they pick is from VUG, VB, VBK or VOOG. Once they understand the differences between those its easier to explain the rules of the horse race.

One observation that surprised me, Overwhelmingly new clients have the same mind-set. They finally start "trusting me" when the market is at all-time high's and has been running a fast paced race for a while. I tell them please, stop this way of thinking, I advise you to put more horses in the game when the pace of the race is slower and the market is on a down-turn, instead of thinking, gee valuations of these horses/stocks are at an all time high maybe NOW I should pay for some horses and get in the race. NO NO NO, get in the race when the horses are cheap man!

I always tell them golden rule of investing, put as much money as you can in, as often as you can, and keep it in there and protected for as long as you can. That's KG's Golden Rule to investing. A penny invested today is 7c in 30yrs lol
Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #1557
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been retired for 8 years, but I still have FIRE milestones to share.

Last week, thanks to Mr. Market, my portfolio reached its highest ever!! This, despite the majority of my spending money coming from my portfolio, and despite buying my Dream Home in 2015. It's almost as though my Dream Home was free.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #1558
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I always tell them golden rule of investing, put as much money as you can in, as often as you can, and keep it in there and protected for as long as you can. That's KG's Golden Rule to investing. A penny invested today is 7c in 30yrs lol
I like your rule except the *protected* word seems misleading unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Last week, thanks to Mr. Market, my portfolio reached its highest ever!! This, despite the majority of my spending money coming from my portfolio, and despite buying my Dream Home in 2015. It's almost as though my Dream Home was free.

So awesome!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

We didn't buy a house but sure have benefitted from the bull market since 2008.

Been FIREd for six years, taking all our money for expenses from our investments in the form of dividends and gains, and our portfolio is worth substantially more now than when we pulled the plug. As you said... almost like living for free!

The bull market won't continue indefinitely so we've "rung the register" and trimmed several positions in anticipation of future events. Our withdrawal rate started at about 3.5% and we've given ouselves raises each year. Currently living on 2.5% withdrawal rate so we're comfortable when a correction occurs.
Closed Thread