Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #2401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaitanylonger View Post
Just passed 1.3 million in savings/IRA/401K (momentarily) plus have about 1.3 million in real estate including my house/rental/vacation house. That makes my happy but what really makes me ecstatic is that I just got the results from my oncologist and am still cancer free after 1.5 years!! Still working at 60...not sure how much longer to continue. The odd thing is that when I thought I didn't have much time left, I wanted to keep working to help my family's finances after I was gone. Now that I have a better outlook, I want to escape...Decisions...
Congratulations! That's wonderful news to go into Thanksgiving with.

I vote for escape, personally! I am 2.5 years cancer free, and I will escape the j*b on 12/31.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #2402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post

I vote for escape, personally! I am 2.5 years cancer free, and I will escape the j*b on 12/31.
Outstanding! Congrats to you!
Old 11-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #2403

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Outstanding! Congrats to you!
Thank you so much!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #2404
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thank you. 2.5 Years is awesome. I am told that after 2 years for me, I am in the clear. Congratulations. Life is precious.

I would love to retire but have really great health insurance that I have benefited immensely from (about 1 million in coverage) over the last 2 years. If medicare at 60 happens, I am free. Otherwise I will probably leave at 63.5 (3 more years) and cobra my way to 65.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #2405

Quote:
Thank you. 2.5 Years is awesome. I am told that after 2 years for me, I am in the clear. Congratulations. Life is precious.

I would love to retire but have really great health insurance that I have benefited immensely from (about 1 million in coverage) over the last 2 years. If medicare at 60 happens, I am free. Otherwise I will probably leave at 63.5 (3 more years) and cobra my way to 65.
Thank you! Two years was definitely the first milestone, and after five years they say I can pretty much stop worrying.

I hear you on the health insurance, believe me. I was perfectly healthy my entire life - until the day I wasn't. My employer insurance paid out massive amounts of money - although nowhere close to a million! No early retirement for me - I will turn 65 on Christmas Eve, and I will retire on Dec. 31st. I've already made my first Medicare and Medicare supplement payments.

I think if the Medicare eligibility age is lowered, many people will retire at 60 - several of my slightly-younger friends and coworkers have already said as much to me. It would be a game-changer for sure.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #2406
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank you! Two years was definitely the first milestone, and after five years they say I can pretty much stop worrying.

I hear you on the health insurance, believe me. I was perfectly healthy my entire life - until the day I wasn't. My employer insurance paid out massive amounts of money - although nowhere close to a million! No early retirement for me - I will turn 65 on Christmas Eve, and I will retire on Dec. 31st. I've already made my first Medicare and Medicare supplement payments.

I think if the Medicare eligibility age is lowered, many people will retire at 60 - several of my slightly-younger friends and coworkers have already said as much to me. It would be a game-changer for sure.
Congratulations. Two incredible achievements, beating cancer and retiring (with healthcare)!! Slam dunk....Simply awesome.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you were perfectly healthy until you weren't. My story identically. I now have a different point of view on everything. Enjoy your victory's to the fullest....you've earned it.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #2407

Quote:
Congratulations. Two incredible achievements, beating cancer and retiring (with healthcare)!! Slam dunk....Simply awesome.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you were perfectly healthy until you weren't. My story identically. I now have a different point of view on everything. Enjoy your victory's to the fullest....you've earned it.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #2408

Quote:

I'll add my congrats. This week is my 12th anniversary of being cancer free.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #2409

Should I add car value to net worth?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #2410
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
Should I add car value to net worth?

Net worth is very simple: value of all assets - all liabilities

So, yes. Doesn't matter if the car is a 15 year old Toyota or a '71 Hemi Barracuda Convertible.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #2412
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonjam83 View Post
Update, DW and I just passed the 600k mark! Looking to lower expenses and increase our savings rate even more!

Just thought I’d share an update on our progress - my DW and I just surpassed 1MM net worth (primary residence included).
Old 11-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #2413

I just realized that I haven't posted my own update for a while (3 years) in this thread. Some of the milestones:
* Total networth to gross earned income ratio stands at about 9.5x compared to 6x 3 years ago.
* Savings rate (from earned income only) stood at about 56% of net earned income last year. This year looks like will drop to 50% due to one time expenses of setting up a new farm homestead. This may continue for few years.
* Total invested assets are closing in at 65% of the target.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #2414

Portfolio topped 3M for the first time today.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #2415

$450k today.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #2416
Dryer sheet wannabe

I hit $1.25M today. Started with 849k in January of 2016. I have not touched a cent nor have I contributed anything since December 2015. Five more years to 59.5. I never thought it would go up so quickly. Hoping this trend continues.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #2417
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just broke 1.5 million today. This is our magic number and I told my boss I’m outta there after bonuses come. 100 days to ER!!! I haven’t felt so calm and free for quite some time. I had a hard time deciding to leave a 200k/year job that I worked my a$$ off to get, but it’s the only thing that feels right. Looking forward to getting time with my 6 year old while he still wants to talk to me.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #2418
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Just passed 1.3 million in savings/IRA/401K (momentarily) plus have about 1.3 million in real estate including my house/rental/vacation house. That makes my happy but what really makes me ecstatic is that I just got the results from my oncologist and am still cancer free after 1.5 years!! Still working at 60...not sure how much longer to continue. The odd thing is that when I thought I didn't have much time left, I wanted to keep working to help my family's finances after I was gone. Now that I have a better outlook, I want to escape...Decisions...

Congratulations on all fronts!!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #2419

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdre View Post
Just broke 1.5 million today. This is our magic number and I told my boss I’m outta there after bonuses come. 100 days to ER!!! I haven’t felt so calm and free for quite some time. I had a hard time deciding to leave a 200k/year job that I worked my a$$ off to get, but it’s the only thing that feels right. Looking forward to getting time with my 6 year old while he still wants to talk to me.
You told boss about bonus or the $1.5M?
Old 11-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #2420
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
You told boss about bonus or the $1.5M?

Told him I’m leaving the company after bonuses get paid. Not the net worth. We are good friends and I wanted to give him as much heads up as possible. He’s hoping I’ll change my mind. I won’t. :-)
Closed Thread