Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I could connect to many wireless connections where I live but I choose to pay for my own and make sure mine is secure. Not securing a wireless
network is a good way to have a slow internet connection. I can guarantee someone close will connect. The default setting on most routers is not set secure. I will bet you 75% of the people that buy routers never take to time to secure them.

How To - Secure Wireless Router Set Up
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminded me of the super whammy mark III headache I got setting up my wireless router. (I'm a little challenged in that regard.) Took me hours. Fortunately, it hasn't done anything but work in the almost 2 yrs since.

I just went and looked at what I did and even dug out my notes. Yes, security is on and yes I changed the default name and password.

I also see that there are now five other wireless signals available but all are also "locked." So I guess there is no other signal I could mooch off of if my own crapped out for some reason.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I looked up my router manual online as suggested. The instructions say to type the IP address in the web address bar, which I did. I get a password screen. Its says to enter "admin" in the user name box and leave the password box empty and hit <next>.

I do that and nothing happens. D'oh !!!

It does say to enter the correct IP address if it has been changed from the default address, but I couldnt have changed it because I wouldnt have the slightest idea how to do it.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I looked up my router manual online as suggested. The instructions say to type the IP address in the web address bar, which I did. I get a password screen. Its says to enter "admin" in the user name box and leave the password box empty and hit <next>.

I do that and nothing happens. D'oh !!!

It does say to enter the correct IP address if it has been changed from the default address, but I couldnt have changed it because I wouldnt have the slightest idea how to do it.
There usually is a reset procedure (depress a switch while you power up or something), and that will set everything back to factory defaults. Just in case. Sometimes places will sell something returned by a customer, and they may have fiddled with settings.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #45

utrecht, I believe you have that backward. Leave the username blank and type admin for the password. ot
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still on dial up. For those of you who pay for their high speed connection and leave it open, when someone logs into your high speed can you guys see what site they go into?
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
utrecht, I believe you have that backward. Leave the username blank and type admin for the password. ot
It doesnt work doing it either way.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #48

Some use 'admin' for the username and 'password' for the default password -- without the quotes.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It doesnt work doing it either way.
Did you check the link i posted up a few that had router user/password defaults for a whole bunch of different routers?
No joy?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #50

I just got finished playing around with it some more. The default username and password are NOT what it says they should be on the website posted, but I finally used every combination of the standard words and got in, but couldnt figure out how to set up a secured network. It wouldnt accept my passwords.

After much frustration, I decided to buy a new router.

The new router software had me plug my computer directly into the router. I have a desktop and 3 laptops and all of them are wireless so nothing is normally wired into the router.

Anyway, I plugged my newest laptop (1 week old) into the router and ran the software for the new router. When I was done, all my wireless connections worked fine, but when I unplugged my laptop from the router, I couldn't for the life of me get it to connect to the internet. I had wireless internet on 2 laptops and my desktop and wired internet on my new laptop but couldnt get wireless on my new laptop.

Plan B.....return router and buy a better one.

Plan B went down in flames. The better router didn't work at all. I couldnt get anywhere. When I ran the software, it told me the computer was not connected...but alas it sure was.

Plan C.....go back to original router and forget about having a secure network. I got it hooked up and was explaining everything to my friend, I figured out why it wouldnt accept my chosen password. It only accepts letters A-F...very strange.

So I got the password accepted and got the secure network up and running. I logged onto the internet with my new laptop...entered the password (or security key or whatever they call it) and it worked perfectly.

However....neither of my other laptops will connect. I search for available networks. I see my network and try to connect but it nevers asks for a security key. It just denies me access.

When I try to connect toi one of my neighbors password protected connections, it asks me for a password (which i dont have of course)....but when I try to access my own connection, it never asks for a password....I just get denied access.

VERY FRUSTRATING !!!

So after 4 hours of work and 2 trips to Best Buy....Im back to the drawing board and still need to go back to Best Buy to return router #2.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

There are a few pitfalls with wireless routers. If you never give the brand and model, then you will get conflicting information.

- always plug in your system for initial setup. I prefer a desktop system at this point.
- follow the QRG. it will give you the IP address of router, and password. do not change the default router pass until you get things running smoothly.
- turn on router. wait for green. turn on cable modem. wait for green. turn on desktop computer. it should pull a private IP from the router, and you'll be on the internet.
- open your browser and enter router IP address or other connection string.
- change settings of wireless function. enter a new SSID, effectively naming your router, turn on the wireless radio function.
- now boot your notebook (not wired in). see if you can connect wireless. should be effortless since you have not turned on security in the router.
- shut down the notebook. still connected to the desktop, you can turn on wireless security, add in a wireless password.
- reboot the notebook, and when it discovers the wireless, enter password.
- enter a password for the router admin function
- enjoy

Note:
- passwords are case sensitive
- Windows sometimes doesn't work properly
- the router software sometimes is better than Windows, but can be problematic
- wireless technology in the notebook may be problematic, weak, directional, etc.
- you're distance from the wireless router is a factor. intervening obstructions and signals can ruin everything. see if your signal is stronger than all others.
- you have to take this in little bites.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

My ISP, speakeasy.net allows sharing of wireless and is even willing to provide email addresses to your neighbors. I do not share my connection. There are more details at http://support.speakeasy.net/cgi-bin...=030512-000240
millerjwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After much frustration, I decided to buy a new router.

Plan B.....return router and buy a better one.

Plan B went down in flames. The better router didn't work at all.

Plan C.....go back to original router and forget about having a secure network. I got it hooked up and was explaining everything to my friend, I figured out why it wouldnt accept my chosen password. It only accepts letters A-F...very strange.

VERY FRUSTRATING !!!

So after 4 hours of work and 2 trips to Best Buy....Im back to the drawing board and still need to go back to Best Buy to return router #2.
If the password only accepts A-F (and numbers I assume), it is looking for a hexadecimal password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
There are a few pitfalls with wireless routers. If you never give the brand and model, then you will get conflicting information.

- you have to take this in little bites.
+1

You are in need of very specific info, but you have not provided any specific info. Do that and I'm sure someone can help.

Router make/model.
Internet provider name/type (cable, dial-up, satellite, etc?).
Computer SW for each you are connecting (Windows 98, XP, Vista W7, OSX, Linux?)
Computer internet connections (wireless or wired, built in card, or USB 'dongle"?)

You may have provided some of that in earlier posts, but re-cap it ALL in one post and it will be much easier for people to help you.

Don't assume that a more $ router will be "better" in terms of ease of set up. In fact, a more $ router might be harder to set up, as it will have more options.

I've set up a number of cheap ones and it was straightforward when I did it by a direct connection and logging into the router from the IP address they give you (and I really don't know much about routers). I've read many reports that the software setups they provide (usally on CD) are more of a hindrance than a help. I recc just logging in to that IP address through the browser and config from there. It really should not be a problem if you take little bites as target 2019 suggests.

-ERD50
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So I got the password accepted and got the secure network up and running. I logged onto the internet with my new laptop...entered the password (or security key or whatever they call it) and it worked perfectly.

However....neither of my other laptops will connect. I search for available networks. I see my network and try to connect but it nevers asks for a security key. It just denies me access.
Call tech support for the router. Be prepared to spend a bunch of time on the phone.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I have never had much trouble getting a router to work in an afternoon, though sometimes they fight back a little along the way. But I have always managed to get mine to work by myself by following the directions meticulously, studying definitions, and figuring out exactly what the next step is before I do it.

These days, they come with software which is a godsend.

One thing I would NEVER do is try to advise someone far away about how to set up their router far away. I really admire those tech experts who can do that.

Because of my slow, deliberate approach, the far away router owner would have taken 17897 steps before I was ready for the next step and I would have to undo all of that. Still, I can generally set up a router on my own in an hour or two if left uninterrupted.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Call tech support for the router. Be prepared to spend a bunch of time on the phone.
I disagree - it will be easier, faster, less headache, and he will learn something if he takes it in small steps as target2019 suggests. Even if he does get it working with tech support, he probably won't remember what he did and the next time he has to add a computer or something he'll be back on the phone for hours. This stuff really isn't that hard, but some of it it does have to be done in a very specific manner, "close" doesn't cut it.

Part of the "small step" approach is (for a short time only), get every computer connecting at the most basic level - with no password at all. Make sure you can actually access web sites from each and every computer this way first. When this is done, you have isolated password problems from basic connection problems.

Once step one is complete, you can password protect it, then power cycle each computer and check them one at a time.

The only real "problem" I've run into with several routers and a bunch of different computers is in the password setups. One thing I found is the encryption on my current router accepts a "passcode" when setting it up, which (IIRC) is a alphanumeric which then creates 4 hexadecimal passwords from that. My linux computer and windows visitors will log on using the alpha-numeric passcode, but it seems my Macs require the full hexadecimal string. But that is harder to determine if you don't first make sure you can log on w.o a password.

-ERD50
Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #57

I hate to say this, being a decades long PC guy, but am asking myself if Apple folks have these sort of headaches.

I have had some dark moments over the years trying to cope with installs and settings.

I am thinking as I get greyer and balder and stupider, (lazier) I may switch to an Apple laptop down the road, pay the extra
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Humm... I had seriously considered a wireless broadband setup for our next home until I got an e-mail from my cousin. His son works for a well known security software company. 'Cuz said that son insisted on a wired home network for his parents. Evidently wireless set-ups are difficult to secure even when you have a family geek who is in the business.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Humm... I had seriously considered a wireless broadband setup for our next home until I got an e-mail from my cousin. His son works for a well known security software company. 'Cuz said that son insisted on a wired home network for his parents. Evidently wireless set-ups are difficult to secure even when you have a family geek who is in the business.
Mine is secured tighter than a drum! Or, at least as secure as Linksys indicated it could be. But, only because I didn't have someone else at the keyboard messing me up. It was a piece o' cake with the software and digital manual that came with it.

I agree with ERD50 that securing it is by far the harder part. I think anybody could get an unsecured wireless network up and running pretty fast. But to me, that is cheating. The main (only?) task to me is getting it secured.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
I hate to say this, being a decades long PC guy, but am asking myself if Apple folks have these sort of headaches.

I have had some dark moments over the years trying to cope with installs and settings.

I am thinking as I get greyer and balder and stupider, (lazier) I may switch to an Apple laptop down the road, pay the extra
Well, I am surprised at all the comments at how hard it is for so many people. Even to say it takes an afternoon seems like a lot to me. I am using Macs, but I don't think that is it. My linux computer was as easy, and I've had windows visitors get on with no problem.

My experience is: Plug in the router and the computer sees it. Start surfing. Not hard at all.

Doesn't that work for most people?

Now, right after that is done, I go in and start messing with the settings to set up security, change the SSID (the network name that shows up on people's computers), etc. That can take a little while, and you want to verify each step, but the initial connection has always worked out-of-the box for me.

I suspect that some of the problems people talk about is that they started changing things *before* they even checked to see if they could connect. Then they changed something and may not know what they changed or whether that change had to be matched on the computers. Take it a step at a time. Reset the box to defaults and start over if you get lost.

While I am a bit of a techie, I am really, really ignorant on network stuff - I plug it in, it works and I get on with my life (after learning just enough to set up basic security).

-ERD50