Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Short Term Bucket Money - part of AA?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Short Term Bucket Money - part of AA?

Like many people here I have an asset allocation that I periodically adjust to keep it in the area I have chosen. Also, like many I have some buckets (CD's, MM funds, short term assets) where I keep dollars I will need in the next 3-5 years.

These bucket dollars are used to ensure that one can temporarily ride out market down turns without having to 'sell low' in order to finance one's chosen lifestyle.

My question is this - Do you include this bucket money in your AA or do you ignore it for purposes of balancing your investment AA?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Previous discussion on this topic:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...not-41585.html
Old 11-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I absolutely include it as part of my asset allocation. I keep a certain percentage in cash for the same purpose as you. I currently don't own any bonds, so my cash percentage is relatively high at about 35 %, with stocks/funds and real estate making up the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It is part of my AA (a rather large part).

It is kept in CDs and a MM account.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buckets are meaningless IMHO.......and AA makes them so.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I do not include it as my AA, because I don't use it as part of my rebalancing calculation. I also do not use it as part of my withdrawal calculation. I have assets above and beyond what is in my retirement portfolio, and none of them is included in my AA, because they aren't part of my long-term retirement investment.

There is no rule that says your entire nest egg MUST be included in your AA or withdrawal computations. Nothing wrong with using a subset - it's simply more conservative.

My retirement fund is the only portfolio that is managed as an asset allocation, and the only one rebalanced as I withdraw. It's a significant % of my investments, but not everything.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps I should not used the term 'bucket' because people will think I am using the bucket method advocated by some financial planners. I am not.

I simply allocated a lump of cash to be used to supplement my pension income until SS begins at age 70.

The purist in me says this money should be part of the AA regardless of what it is allocated towards. The other side says, since I plan on spending all of it over the next few years it's already earmarked and should not be considered with other investment assets. A third side says to use the variable percentage withdrawal, put any money not spent into a very safe place, and don't worry about the ups and downs of the market.
Ahh.... first world problems.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The way I compartmentalize my investments is by goal and time horizon and the investment strategies are different. If something is earmarked for a short term expense, then I don't think it makes sense to treat is as part of a long-term investment.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

These bucket dollars are used to ensure that one can temporarily ride out market down turns without having to 'sell low' in order to finance one's chosen lifestyle.

My question is this - Do you include this bucket money in your AA or do you ignore it for purposes of balancing your investment AA?
I'm not sure there's much practical difference between having an extra bucket vs just running an AA with a slightly higher percentage of (safe) fixed income. If the market tanks, your equity portion will be lower than the setpoint and you will be withdrawing from the fixed income portion anyway.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Part of AA. I also calculate portfolio performance including any and all cash sloshing around in cash sweep accounts or unused in a checking account or CD.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Part of AA here as well. I track cash like equities/bonds to provide data for rebalancing.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Part of AA here too. I tried to keep it separate when I first retired but it was more confusing than I like. So I just changed my AA from 60/40/0 to 60/34/6 (equities/fixed income/cash). The 6% of cash represents ~ 2 years pf living expenses less 2 years of taxable account dividends (which i take in cash and effectively reduce my withdrawals).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I count this as part of AA, but I am not retired. I do think in terms of buckets because it adds a time component and sets spending priority for the AA....I'm just not quite sure how I will refill the buckets (e.g. rebalance) once I am retired.

So by my way of thinking, once you set this allocation to x-y years (as opposed to using x-y percent), it is in a bucket that you will spend down first. I then calculate the percentage required for x-y years and set my other allocations. If the percentage is more than 4%/yr, I have a problem that needs to be resolved.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Its part of my overall AA as its part of my overall assets.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aa bucket money