Join Early Retirement Today

should I buy a new car now
Old 03-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

should I buy a new car now

I think the best way to approach this is to look at the maintenance and repair records for your present car, plus the cost of gas, insurance, dealing with having no car (renting?) when it's in the shop, and any other costs of owning it. Figure out how much this averages per month.

Then do the same for the specific car you wish to purchase, including the purchase price of course.

Compare the two amounts. Then factor in the part that has nothing to do with math: the extent of your desire to get this particular new car.

After doing all this, the answer to your question should be pretty apparent. (hint: for me it usually reveals that I should buy the new car).

Sure, the economy might affect your decision, but I think that the specific cost comparison that I described can tell you so much more than a nebulous economic prophecy.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Never?

Try buying a 1 -3 year old Toyota Tacoma. Cost as much as new which is why I twice bought new ones. Present one is 12 years old with 118k on it and still worth 14-16 grand. I paid $27000 for it in 2009.

Yes, pickup trucks are a whole different animal. I have bought a few, but my needs/budget at the time dictated 8-12 year old ones.

Had a friend once who bought a brand new Golf GTI R (they only make 5000 of them every 4 years). He kept it and drove it for 8 months. Then sold it.

For $5k more than he paid for it.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

How about stepping up to a luxury vehicle coming off a 3 year lease? We have purchased two Mercedes that way both now with 70,000+ miles and literally zero issues.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Yes, pickup trucks are a whole different animal. I have bought a few, but my needs/budget at the time dictated 8-12 year old ones.

Had a friend once who bought a brand new Golf GTI R (they only make 5000 of them every 4 years). He kept it and drove it for 8 months. Then sold it.

For $5k more than he paid for it.

finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Never?

Try buying a 1 -3 year old Toyota Tacoma. Cost as much as new which is why I twice bought new ones. Present one is 12 years old with 118k on it and still worth 14-16 grand. I paid $27000 for it in 2009.
This. For a lot of popular cars, like Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus, the demand is high enough that the savings on used models hardly seems worth it.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
This. For a lot of popular cars, like Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus, the demand is high enough that the savings on used models hardly seems worth it.
Yes We have a Subaru Outback as well. It holds it's value pretty well here in NH but the Tacoma is incredible.
We have been married for 36 years and have purchased 8 brand new vehicles in that time. Guess we were blowing the dough before we should have. Oops.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Step up for me, I don't have a car that recent with that few miles.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #48

Get a newer used car / 3 years or less.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife loves minivans and we’ve bought 6 of them, some new, some used. I prefer to buy new as we keep them till 180 to 210,000 miles and in that length of time, the difference between used and new gets pretty small as a yearly delta.
jeffmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #50

New car - you've done more than the right thing with the TSX - btw, I thought 2004 US Accords had passenger airbags.

We just bought a 2021 Subaru Ascent - interesting and someone different car, but does everything really well, and the price is more than competitive compared to Pilot, Highlander, etc.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

I’d say get anything where you don’t mind if the resale value falls off a cliff in 5 years or so. ICE is on the way out, though this will take its own sweet time. Once battery electric is more affordable than ICE and possibly has lower insurance than ICE, expect the price of ICE vehicles to crater.

When that starts is a good question. “Change happens overnight” estimate would be 5 to 10 years.

I’m not in your situation - Have a 2013 and a 2018 vehicle, these will both last until electric and possibly heavily automated cars are here.
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
It is in pretty good shape, but has needed some relatively expensive stuff in the past few years: a/c compressor, rear calipers and rotors, alternator, new set of tires coming due this year.
To the OP - None of those items are major repairs (AC compressor debatable). Those aren't make-or-break items like an automatic transmission or a head gasket or lost engine compression etc.

For me, I drive newer cars now. Not because the old ones can't be fixed but because I just don't want to deal with car issues much.

If you want a new car go for it - that new car smell !

But I suspect that your old car still has some miles in it.

It's a personal decision that only you can make.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

According to Consumer Reports, reliability for the 2004 Acura TSX is 1 out of 5, meaning not reliable. In the past I have sold my car when the maintenance and repairs cost more than the car was worth. I kept my 2006 Acura MDX past that point and the problems and costs just kept coming. Finally ditched it and only then thought to look up it's current rating on reliability - it was similarly bad. And I bought it because in 2006 Acura's were considered and rated as reliable, but that has changed.

I would get rid of it.
winyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I would get a top of the line Honda instead of Acura. Honda rates much higher than Acura at Consumer Reports for overall score and also reliability specifically.
I also have an aging TSX (great car) and Car and Driver or one of those auto mags says much the same thing. Basically the Acura is the same car as the TSX (especially an older TSX). Plus you can upgrade the Acura to be pretty close to the heated leather seat level of the TSX. Acura has dropped the ball lately; itís sad. Do NOT get MDX without test driving for several days first. After the TSX itís like driving an unresponsive marshmallow. Yeah, I sure like having a loaner too though lol.
Rusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would stick with Acura.
We're currently on Acura #4 & #5, a 2012 MDX and a 2013 RDX. The MDX was a replacement for a 2001 MDX that blew it's transmission (2nd time) at 215,000 miles. We're already up to 168,000 miles on this one.
The RDX was a replacement for a 2008 RL. I needed something easier to slide in-out with lower back problems. While searching for that car, I looked at the Honda CRX, (supposed to be the same car), but the CRX was smaller in the driver space, and much less quality of ride and features. The RDX was the right choice.
Other than the 2008 RL, we've kept cars for a 10+ years.
Another thought: We stopped using the Acura dealer service after the warranty period expired. We have a reliable local mechanic that is wonderful at less than 1/2 the cost. The last time I went to the dealer they wanted $75/hr service rates to diagnose the problem (which I quoted to them from the computer codes found out by taking the car to Autozone). I left them and never went back.
sroby2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Iíd say get anything where you donít mind if the resale value falls off a cliff in 5 years or so. ICE is on the way out, though this will take its own sweet time. Once battery electric is more affordable than ICE and possibly has lower insurance than ICE, expect the price of ICE vehicles to crater.

When that starts is a good question. ďChange happens overnightĒ estimate would be 5 to 10 years.
We've been told that EV's will take over for 40 years and eventually they'll finally be right. But I'm not worried because when they do take over then those of us still with an ICE vehicle can enjoy plummeting gas prices from lack of demand and also pick up good used cars for cheap from those who want to move towards EV.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

Buy the new car. You only live once and youíre risking your life and that of your momís driving a safety outdated car for three hour trips. I wouldnít overthink the timing of the purchase due to inflation or any other factors. You need a new car and it makes it the perfect time.
bjgola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Another thing to consider in buying a used vs. new car is what safety features you're giving up not getting the latest model. I just bought a new Subaru Crosstrek to replace a 2013 Hyundai Sonata which is really the first time I've bought a car when I hadn't used it at least 10 years or been forced to because of an accident. My new car has blind spot detection, adaptive cruise control (which actually drives itself, similar to Tesla), front and rear traffic alerts, auto-high beam, backup camera, and probably more i've forgotten about. My Sonata had none of them.

As we get older (this is a retiree site, after all) having these features are very important to have, at least for me. In fact, I attended an AARP webinar on how to use these new safety features and the instructor suggested leasing because you don't want to be stuck with a car when they come out with a car with a new safety feature that you really want (this was after I already purchased).
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:00 PM   #59

Having recently bought a 2018 SUV with 17k miles after researching 5+ models and test driving every one of them, I'll tell you what my best internet tools were, should you decide to shop.

For a given model, I first go to Wikipedia and understand the "generations" of the model, the major re-designs, and the "facelifts". Also might look at sales by year to see if the vehicle was trending up or down. Also, learn, or Google, the trim levels to see what trims come with what options. Come can get pretty complicated.

Then, I used to go to cars.com (see below) and search on the model and year range for the generation I was interested, and specify a stupid range from my zip code like 500 miles or more. Then use the filters, and cut down price limits, and mileage limits that are important to you. You can sort by price, mileage, distance, etc. Very useful to see what is out there. If you see things you like, pull in your distance to see if there are some near you. Depending on what you are looking for, you may or may not find them.

I was looking for a very particular trim and (trim) upgrade level, PLUS an option for towing package. Someone at a forum pointed me to autotrader.com as a better site with better search options. And I found that I could search on make, model, trim level AND upgrade, AND individual options (like towing). I started at 200 miles, then spread out to 400 and found EXACTLY what I wanted 390 miles away, for close to the price I wanted.

Rented a car last week, drove out, and drove my new SUV home. VERY happy with it.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Iíd say get anything where you donít mind if the resale value falls off a cliff in 5 years or so. ICE is on the way out, though this will take its own sweet time. Once battery electric is more affordable than ICE and possibly has lower insurance than ICE, expect the price of ICE vehicles to crater.
This is likely to happen with luxury vehicles. Tesla is already affecting resale values of cars like BMW and Audi. They are nearly forced to convert to meet European regulations, and don't want to sell a completely different range of vehicles in the US. Mainstream conversion in the US won't be quite so fast.

Unless I needed a dually diesel pickup to tow a motor home, I wouldn't buy a $70K vehicle with an internal combustion engine right now. As for buying a vehicle for under $40K, new or used, I wouldn't worry about it.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote