Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
BTW, VA's don't have front loads, but I digress...........
Mine does. Cuz its extra special and never goes down. Principal and gains are always protected.

This plan even comes with a set of blackout glasses you can put on during those down market days, so that in the unlikely event of a loss of cabin pressure, you can put them on and not see anything bad happen.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Most 403Bs are invested in annutities through Nationwide, ING, TIAA-Cref and Principal. That's the reality..........
I don't know about the rest of the US but the Texas State Teacher's Association gets "contributions" from the insurance companies put on the approved list for 403b "investments." I told my wife not to bother signing up for that trash. I've heard there is a way to bypass the approved list and go with Vanguard. I also heard it was a lot of paper work. The small amount my wife would have contributed was just saved after tax.
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Alright then, how about I split the commissions with you from all the rubes good customers that I sell 5% front load, 1.75% ER mutual funds in a variable annuity inside an IRA to?

2B's head just exploded for a second time.
Naw, I know you're just kidding. You have a higher level of ethics than to sell people junk like that. If you needed the money, you'd be a pimp instead.
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Most 403Bs are invested in annutities through Nationwide, ING, TIAA-Cref and Principal. That's the reality..........
How do you know if they are actually annuities? I know Nationwide doesn't show your money as being in shares in your account, but rather in "units". Those units seem to have a strange relationship to actual shares of the underlying funds they supposedly are part of.

Sometimes they are worth more, sometimes less, and it's not consistent from one of the "funds" to the next.

Does this mean it's an annuity? The way they describe it to customers is that Nationwide owns large blocks of shares in the funds they offer, and they simply break you off pieces of their shares rather than buying more shares in small increments on the open market.

Is this FUD?
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPigeon View Post
How do you know if they are actually annuities? I know Nationwide doesn't show your money as being in shares in your account, but rather in "units". Those units seem to have a strange relationship to actual shares of the underlying funds they supposedly are part of.

Sometimes they are worth more, sometimes less, and it's not consistent from one of the "funds" to the next.

Does this mean it's an annuity? The way they describe it to customers is that Nationwide owns large blocks of shares in the funds they offer, and they simply break you off pieces of their shares rather than buying more shares in small increments on the open market.

Is this FUD?
Anytime you see the word "units", it's about 99.99% likely it's an annuity..................

Interesting that crooks like Principal Financial Group are the largest 401K and 403B providers in the US, and are represented by a bunch of folks that are only glorified insurance agents.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

At megacorp, our Fidelity 401k always had a "unitized" fund for the company stock, but the rest was mostly Fidelity mutual funds. Now they have re-rolled the whole plan and most of the choices are labeled "co-mingled pool-not a mutual fund that mirror some known fund or index, which I think means they don't have all the regulations (and compliance cost) to qualify as a mutual fund........and guess who benefits from the savings..............
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
I like my FA and I think he is trying to make me money, .... I did not have the heart to tell him that I was looking to dump him. I will have to work on that.
Crispus --
No offense intended, but I think you're looking at your FA as your friend rather than as a member of your professional financial advisory team. Just think about it -- was he worried about you when he called to decline your printing services for his daughter's party?

The sums of $$ you're talking about represent your future, your retirement, your security. I'd forget all the talk about his crystal clear pool, his newly remodeled kitchen and his feelings...BOOT HIM TO THE CURB, BEFORE YOU LOSE ANOTHER DIME!

But that's just my two cents, FWIW.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Crispus --
No offense intended, but I think you're looking at your FA as your friend rather than as a member of your professional financial advisory team. Just think about it -- was he worried about you when he called to decline your printing services for his daughter's party?

The sums of $$ you're talking about represent your future, your retirement, your security. I'd forget all the talk about his crystal clear pool, his newly remodeled kitchen and his feelings...BOOT HIM TO THE CURB, BEFORE YOU LOSE ANOTHER DIME!

But that's just my two cents, FWIW.
As an advisor, I'll offer my 2 cents. here's the way to make it easy:

You: I want to talk to you about my account.

Advisor: What's up?

You: I decided I want to take over my investment accounts and handle them myself. It has nothing to do with what you did or didn't do, I want to take responsibility for my own future,and the best way to do that is for me to manage things myself.

Advisor: (probably)You're making a mistake, I think. If you are unhappy with how things are going, we can make some changes and see how it goes. I'd hate to lost you as a client, and more importantly as a friend.

You: I understand that, and have learned a lot about investing from you (white lie, maybe), but I want to take control of things and try it myself. You can apreciate that, right? Anyway, that's my decision, and I trust you will make sure that things go smoothly when I transfer my accounts right?

Advisor: Um ok.........

Bottom line: Despite what most think on this board, FA's are people too...........

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

FinaceDude, sounds like a very good way to end it with a minimum of pain on both sides. Now how should the money change hands? Does the customer request transfer directly to Vanguard (or Fidelity, etc.) ? I know for brokerage accounts one just fills out the required forms at Vanguard and it all happens automatically.

Les
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
FinaceDude, sounds like a very good way to end it with a minimum of pain on both sides. Now how should the money change hands? Does the customer request transfer directly to Vanguard (or Fidelity, etc.) ? I know for brokerage accounts one just fills out the required forms at Vanguard and it all happens automatically.
Les
Call Fidelity or Vanguard, and ask them for the forms. If there are stocks in there, you need to open a brokerage account with them. It can be done over the phone or on the Internet. Sign the transfer forms, and submit them to the FA. The accounts should transfer in a couple weeks.

I've never stood in the way of a client that wants to go their own way. It's better than fighting over what was done, wasn't done, etc. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ended a relationship with a FA - I went to the receiving fund company, filled out all the forms, and they went out & got the money, transferring the funds and stocks to their brokerage. I only told my FA after I had initiated the transfer, because I was also chicken. I knew he'd try to talk me out of it, and I'm not good at those kinds of debates. I didn't have any problems at all doing it that way.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I ended a relationship with a FA - I went to the receiving fund company, filled out all the forms, and they went out & got the money, transferring the funds and stocks to their brokerage. I only told my FA after I had initiated the transfer, because I was also chicken. I knew he'd try to talk me out of it, and I'm not good at those kinds of debates. I didn't have any problems at all doing it that way.
CJ
I suggested the other way because of the close relationship they had, did you socialize with your broker in your case?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Teen Advice Information Sheet About Breaking Up
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

Old 08-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had to wean MIL from her FA after 12 years. We drafted up the termination letter, then went in to open the new discount brokerage account. Then mailed the letter. Then followed up with a phone call. I placed the call but MIL did the talking. Very much the same tone as already discussed.
- it's been great knowing you and your services
- my strategy (fixed income) is not going to change
- SIL has offered to do it for me free (token fee)
- he also will do income taxes (was outsourced)

Annual savings: 88%

FA used to send over plants and chocolates, and take her to lunch once a year. Now we do all that for her too.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I suggested the other way because of the close relationship they had, did you socialize with your broker in your case?
We didn't socialize, but he did go to our church.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
We didn't socialize, but he did go to our church.
BIG DIFFERENCE..........

Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Maybe FinanceDude can tell us why anyone should mix socializing or church with money matters. Seems to me they are distinctly and inheritantly different activities. Mixing socializing/friendship/religion with money is a BAD idea in my opinion. Would like to hear a counter argument though , , .

If you think differently then I'll be your friend for some money . Sounds like a great Dilbert series to me.

Les
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Maybe FinanceDude can tell us why anyone should mix socializing or church with money matters.
Because that's where all the suckers customers are.

How many times have we read a financial disaster article that started with "Mr. Edward Jones was an upstanding financial advisor and a pillar of the community's local church, where he..." ?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Amen, brother. Can you spare a dime? (or tell me your net worth and explain why you don't have all that in these annuities- or limited partnership shares- I can show you).
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote