Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Should I PrePay this Rent ?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Should I PrePay this Rent ?

I have a vacation mobile home in a mobile home park on the colorado river. The park is owned by the BLM and managed and run by the county. I am currently paying $175.00/month for rent on the space. Effective Sept. 1 there will be a rate increase to $220.00/ month. I have the option to PrePay my rent for up to 3 years at the current rate of $175.00/month. I would need to pay $ 6,300.00 up front but I would be set for the next 3 years. I don't plan on selling or moving. Should I go ahead an pre pay for the next 3 years ?
MonarchDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Should I PrePay this Rent ?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

yes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

You save $44. a month if you prepay. Theres a couple different issues I would consider.

1) Are the rent spaces likely to increase even more if you don't prepay?

2) If you don't prepay, can your money be invested where you'll make more than 44.

3) I sometimes prepay bills so I don't have to worry about them.

I would prepay.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Back of envelope says that's about a 7% ROI annually, garanteed. If you plan on staying the 3 years, I would do it.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchDon
I would need to pay $ 6,300.00 up front but I would be set for the next 3 years. I don't plan on selling or moving. Should I go ahead an pre pay for the next 3 years ?
You're liquidating $6300 up front to save $45/month for 36 months.

If you left that $6300 in a MM account at 5%/year then in three years you'd have about $7320.

Most people would spend the $45/month and three years later they'd wonder what happened. If you save that $45/month (instead of letting it trickle through your fingers!) at the same interest rate then you'd have about $1744. So you give up $1020 in savings to earn $1744 and come out ahead by $724, but again that ONLY works if you SAVE the $45/month.

I know you don't plan on moving, but would a layoff or mass firings change your plan? Any other financial shocks that you'd want to have $6300 handy for an emergency fund?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I know you don't plan on moving, but would a layoff or mass firings change your plan?* Any other financial shocks that you'd want to have $6300 handy for an emergency fund?
I'm still unemployed (I haven't figured out if that is a good thing or bad thing) The reason I'm locked in at 175/m now is because I prepaid 2 years ago. The rent increases every year. I have the cash but I'm a very very good saver if I keep the $$ in money market I won't spend it. I like being paid in advance because I sleep well at night without any debts. Just trying to decide if letting go of $6,300. now is a smart move
MonarchDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the bigger concerns are:

1) What if something unexpectedly forces you to move a year from now? What if something changes and you are no longer willing/able to vacation in this spot anymore? How are you going to get your pre-paid rent back? Sounds like a hassle.

2) What if the organization/county has financial difficulties and goes bankrupt? Not likely (more of a concern if you were dealing with a for-profit landlord), but municipal agencies have declared bankruptcy before. How are you going to get your pre-paid rent back? Sounds like a hassle.

If this pre-paid rent is refundable, I'd be sure to get it in writing with a list of approved reasons for issuing a refund.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote