Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I would never buy a house for someone I hadn't even met or to make it convenient for my friends to party or to crash overnight.
One way to look at this would be to estimate the annual costs of putting guests up at a hotel and renting a room at a bar or restaurant for a party if you don't have a club house compared to buying a bigger place to live in 24 X 7. We have always liked the idea of buying a condo in Hawaii, but running the numbers of buying vs. renting for vacations for how often we would stay made renting the obvious choice.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Buy the residence you need, not what you want or can afford. The 50 year old you will thank the 28 year old you.
This x1000.

I am not in your shoes, but if I was, then my answer would be NO. Guest room? Wasted space (as discussed previously). Home office? Is that *really* needed? Do you have a desktop computer? Some of my *best* w*rk has been done in my recliner or my kitchen table. I *do* have a dedicated office space but it's rarely used and really is wasted space.

I am also of the mindset that real estate (especially your primary home) should never be used in calculating NW and the condo market is just too volatile for my liking. BUT...that's MY opinion. There are LOTS of folks out there that would disagree with me. I won't say they are right or wrong, but for me, I would stay put.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
One way to look at this would be to estimate the annual costs of putting guests up at a hotel and renting a room at a bar or restaurant for a party if you don't have a club house compared to buying a bigger place to live in 24 X 7. We have always liked the idea of buying a condo in Hawaii, but running the numbers of buying vs. renting for vacations for how often we would stay made renting the obvious choice.
I completely understand the logic of renting a room for a party, but I don't understand why one would feel obligated to pay for someone's hotel stay.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I'm glad I never did. My brother is now bored with Hawaii.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Growing up and living in the SF Bay Area, I have a very different view point than most of the forum posters. The typical approach here is to buy your first home (condo, townhouse, starter SFH....) as soon as you can afford it. Once your finances allow you to move up, you do so and continue moving up until you reach your permanent home.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm leaning towards staying put, for the following reasons:

1. If I do have a SO, and we want to move into a bigger place together, I'd rather both jointly decide on said place, that way it is a mutual decision with equal weighting.

2. I agree that the bedroom/office will mostly sit vacant.

3. I don't have parties that often or visitors that often anyway.

4. If I were to use about $80-100k as a downpayment, that would put a big dent in my invested in the market portfolio. I'm hoping with my current nest egg, plus contributions and earnings, that in 10 years, I will have investable assets of $1,000,000 in today's dollars at the age of 38. Purchasing a condo would delay this. This is a goal of mine because I think it would give me the freedom to leave the corporate world and pursue more freelance type work.
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm leaning towards staying put, for the following reasons:

1. If I do have a SO, and we want to move into a bigger place together, I'd rather both jointly decide on said place, that way it is a mutual decision with equal weighting.

3. I don't have parties that often or visitors that often anyway.

4. If I were to use about $80-100k as a downpayment, that would put a big dent in my invested in the market portfolio. I'm hoping with my current nest egg, plus contributions and earnings, that in 10 years, I will have investable assets of $1,000,000 in today's dollars at the age of 38. Purchasing a condo would delay this. This is a goal of mine because I think it would give me the freedom to leave the corporate world and pursue more freelance type work.
I should note (and this is probably a discussion for another day), that I anticipate a sizable inheritance. I don't (fully) base decisions off this, but this would be in the "back of my head" if I were to "pull the trigger" and leave the corporate world, as mentioned above in #4, at the age of 38-40 with only $1m invested. I know, things can change, but if it weren't for this expectation, I would feel much less comfortable leaving the corporate world.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I completely understand the logic of renting a room for a party, but I don't understand why one would feel obligated to pay for someone's hotel stay.
It would be cheaper than buying a bigger condo for guests to stay in.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As someone pointed out, a laptop on the couch or kitchen table may be all that is needed. I still have a tower computer, but send the signal to my TV and can do my computer stuff from the comfort of the couch. As it's a 67" TV, that has the added advantage of a huge screen, which may come in handy if you're dealing with large or multiple spreadsheets.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This x1000.

I am not in your shoes, but if I was, then my answer would be NO. Guest room? Wasted space (as discussed previously). Home office? Is that *really* needed? Do you have a desktop computer? Some of my *best* w*rk has been done in my recliner or my kitchen table. I *do* have a dedicated office space but it's rarely used and really is wasted space.

I am also of the mindset that real estate (especially your primary home) should never be used in calculating NW and the condo market is just too volatile for my liking. BUT...that's MY opinion. There are LOTS of folks out there that would disagree with me. I won't say they are right or wrong, but for me, I would stay put.
I don't know why you would not include Real Estate in your NW. I have a friend that had as her primary residence a $1.35M townhouse (paid in full). Late last year she moved in with her boyfriend and recently sold her townhouse and now has $1.25M in the bank. Her primary residence most certainly had value that can be turned into cash at any given moment.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #31

That's a lot of mortgage for that salary in my opinion. Maybe I missed it but do you expect significant raises in the coming years? I know my job, more of a variable income like a sales job, had many years with 25-50% increases so $85k one year, $120k the next, $180k two years later, etc.... If that was the expectation then I wouldn't sweat it. On the other hand there is a lot to be said for living lean when you are young so you can afford to retire one day.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I don't know why you would not include Real Estate in your NW. I have a friend that had as her primary residence a $1.35M townhouse (paid in full). Late last year she moved in with her boyfriend and recently sold her townhouse and now has $1.25M in the bank. Her primary residence most certainly had value that can be turned into cash at any given moment.
I also live in the Bay Area and prices can be pretty boom and bust. Homes that were bought in 2007 at a price of $1.25M might have been worth $500K less a few years later. Some areas had very high foreclosure rates. Housing here has been a good investment for long time owners but it has been a wild ride.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I won't detract from the OP's questions, but as I mentioned, this is MY thinking and opinion; not yours. My experience (and that of those that I know, family, specifically) is that the cost of ownership over the long term lags that of the markets. I am glad your friend made some money in real estate...but let's not forget the very large number of folks that lost their asses by "investing" in a home, too. Point being, I don't look at my home as an investment and I don't look at like a "cash cow". Odds are if I sold today, I would have "doubled" my money from when I bought it in 2012...but if I were to add in taxes, maintenance, etc. then the return would certainly lag behind what I would have earned in my VG accounts.

Edit: Here is a blog post that I think is worth the 5 minute read: https://chrisreining.com/the-america...ial-nightmare/
Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Update:

So I think I am going to hold off, for now at least, on this. I am curious to hear others' thoughts on liquidating funds from my portfolio that would be used as a downpayment? And holding those in a savings account for the time being? They have realized some nice appreciation, and I'd hate for the market to drop, say 10%, then have to sell.

Or is this too much market timing??
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Update:

So I think I am going to hold off, for now at least, on this. I am curious to hear others' thoughts on liquidating funds from my portfolio that would be used as a downpayment? And holding those in a savings account for the time being? They have realized some nice appreciation, and I'd hate for the market to drop, say 10%, then have to sell.

Or is this too much market timing??
I would just invest it like the rest of your portfolio, unless you are sure you will need it in the next year or so.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #36

If you do have to sell, don't do it after market declines, do it now!

If you don't have to sell, don't.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #37

1. Housing is all about having a place to live. "Bigger places" are frosting.
2. Sleep on the couch and offer your bedroom to guests.
3. Buying another home and keeping this one as a rental will involve 2 payments, and eventual making both for a month or two a year (when rental is vacant-if you can escape this for years, you will be one lucky landlord). How do you feel about that?

Having said that, I wish I had kept many of my first homes as rentals. They were great houses and I knew all the blemishes. I am a big believer in rental property, and have had good and bad over the years. But it is a business and you will have vacancies. Taking money that could go into a retirement account (for downpayment, etc.) is merely transferring it from one investment bucket to another, as long as the numbers work on the investment property.

If you decide to move up, today's interest rates make it a no brainer. This will most likely change over the coming years. If so, you will wish you had pulled the trigger.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote