Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Signing Tax Return with POA
Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,337
Signing Tax Return with POA

This is a rather specialized tax question but I thought I'd try to get a quick answer.

My DW has the POA for her father and mother. Her mother died in 2007. Her father has Alzheimer's. Last year my wife filed a Form 2848 after she had submitted their 2006 return. The IRS wouldn't accept a copy of the POA. They needed her to become "registered" and now she has a CAF number.

When I read the instructions, it sounds like they want a new Form 2848 every year; but when the application was made last year, an agent said it was good for 3 years.

Any knowledgeable advice on how the Form 1040 should be signed?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,228
FAQ General Information - IRS

Does a power of attorney stay in effect for more than one year?
When you complete the Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, you must show the type of tax, the tax form number, and the year or period(s) for which the power is granted. You can list returns for any number of specified years or periods that have already ended and returns for years or periods that will end no later than three years from the date the form is signed. A general reference to "all years," "all periods," or "all taxes" is not acceptable. The Form 2848 will be returned to you for correction if you use such general references. For additional information, refer to Tax Topic 310, Power of Attorney Information.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you NOT take deductions on your tax return? summer2007 FIRE and Money 2 10-19-2007 10:50 PM
Save money and time when you mail in your tax return samclem Other topics 12 04-15-2007 05:54 PM
Signing Bonus/Tax bracket Question Jbird FIRE and Money 11 02-01-2007 05:58 PM
Nuveen Tax Advantaged Total Return JTA Tony Tampa FIRE and Money 0 04-11-2006 03:42 PM
Can I cotribute to my Roth after I file tax Return blazerjeremy Young Dreamers 16 02-07-2006 05:34 AM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.