Signing up for Medicare

jkern

Full time employment: Posting here.
I turn 65 this October and as I understand it I can sign up for Medicare in July. Is it true that if I already receive Social Security that I'm automatically enrolled?

I turn 65 this October and as I understand it I can sign up for Medicare in July. Is it true that if I already receive Social Security that I'm automatically enrolled?

we both took SS at 62 and did not receive automatic medicare enrollment at 65. assume nothing. IIRC you can sign up for medicare during a 7-month window...3-mos before your birth month, 3-mos after your birth month and, of course, your birth month. you can also sign-up outside that window but there are qualifications and stipulations.

Yes. DW turns 65 in September, and she had already started her SS benefit. Earlier in May (I forget which date) she received a packet from the SSA with:
- Her medicare card
- A letter titled "It's time to choose your Medicare coverage", explaining that, since she was already getting SSA she would automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part and Part B. It also mentioned to look out for their "Medicare & You" book they would be sending "soon" (have not seen it yet).
- A booklet "Get Ready for Medicare", which covered Medicare, decisions to be made before coverage starts, overview of original Medicare vs. "bundled" Medicare Plans, things to do in the first year of Medicare, contacts for various question types, etc.

Since I do not turn 65 until next year, we do not have to rush to sign up for supplemental plans (currently our preference) or Medicare Advantage. She is able to stay on Megacorp retiree insurance with me, they essentially will act the same as Medigap and a drug plan (along with dental) until I turn 65. But we are already doing the research.

I had already started Social Security at 63 due to a heart attack. In late 2021 I had read all the medicare related stuff online but was also planning on calling them just to make sure. Then, without warning or provocation I received in the mail the package and the official Medicare card a good 3 months before my 65th birthday.

I waited until 70 to start SS but MC reached out to ME to remind me to sign up and pay quarterly IIRC. It seems they really do want folks to receive their MC benefit and do not let folks slip through the cracks. YMMV

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for automatic sign up and reach out to Medicare just in case.

I turn 65 in Sept. I'm enrolled in Medicare Part G and will start SS in Sept. as well. You can sign up on SS.gov for SS and Medicare. You have to create an online acct. All the information is provided there.

Edit: It's SSA.gov

Last edited:
The process for me a little over 2 years ago was very easy, everything done (which wasn't much) online IIRC.

The PIA part for me was dealing with viabenefits for Plan G and D supplements. Saw this thread, maybe it will be helpful.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/signing-up-for-medicare-107430.html

I also use ViaBenefits; I didn't have any issues with the gap part. Once you realize it is standardized, it comes down to 2-3 legit companies and a bunch of maybes and a handful of shysters. Every insurer has the same policy -- just different price.

For some, the major decision is GAP vs. Advantage. Since Advantage isn't offered in my area that decision was off the table.

Part D is mystical. No standardization, very little disclosure; a Ouija board would be as useful as anything. Once I realized that Part D is a losing proposition (for me) the decision was easy - the absolute cheapest policy I could find.

Back
Top Bottom