Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Signing up for Social Security online...
Old 12-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, the time has come, I think, to sign up for Social Security (my birthday is in January and my FRA is 65 and 2 months, so I'm assuming that my FRA month is March.)

EDITED TO ADD: Oops! MY FRA is 66 and 2 months, not 65 and two months! Sheesh! Sorry!

I am already taking Medicare, since I needed it when I retired when I reached the age I could take it (and thus stop paying the exorbitant COBRA payment!) I am told to pay my Medicare in three month increments, which most recent payment puts me through March. I paid the most recent one yesterday, just in case, thought March, but I think they might owe me March's money back.

How will already having Medicare affect my Social Security application, if at all?

Should I try to apply online? Is the success rate good there or do people run into trouble?

Or should I try to make an in-person appointment?

Any and all advice welcome!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Yours is a more general question, but you may find it helpful to peruse this thread https://www.early-retirement.org/for...es-106760.html if it is something that may apply in your situation.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't think you can apply in person for SS, aren't the offices closed ?

I haven't applied yet, so don't really know, but when I went in yrs ago for a simple thing, it was crowded and I waited a long time.

OP - do you already have a SS online sign in account , where you can see your benefits and information ?
Old 12-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Ok, the time has come, I think, to sign up for Social Security (my birthday is in January and my FRA is 65 and 2 months, so I'm assuming that my FRA month is March.) - You know the longer you wait, the larger your monthly check will be. Do you have a need for it now, or could you wait until you are 70?

I am already taking Medicare, since I needed it when I retired when I reached the age I could take it (and thus stop paying the exorbitant COBRA payment!) I am told to pay my Medicare in three month increments, which most recent payment puts me through March. I paid the most recent one yesterday, just in case, thought March, but I think they might owe me March's money back. - This part I don't understand. How were you able to qualify for Medicare prior to age 65? If they owe you money they will send it back to your bank account.

How will already having Medicare affect my Social Security application, if at all? - No, won't affect it other than your premium will start coming out of your SS check.

Should I try to apply online? Is the success rate good there or do people run into trouble? - Success rate for applying on-line is excellent. I went this route when applying for spousal. Piece of cake.

Or should I try to make an in-person appointment? - I would apply on-line. A lot of office are not making in-person appointments, although this is something they could do over the phone. But applying on-line is easy peasy, so I would go that route.

Any and all advice welcome!
See my comments.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

Make sure to unfreeze your credit bureau info because SSA will look at it for verification.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #6

I am already taking Medicare, since I needed it when I retired when I reached the age I could take it (and thus stop paying the exorbitant COBRA payment!) I am told to pay my Medicare in three month increments, which most recent payment puts me through March. I paid the most recent one yesterday, just in case, thought March, but I think they might owe me March's money back. - This part I don't understand. How were you able to qualify for Medicare prior to age 65? If they owe you money they will send it back to your bank account.

I am pretty sure she means her FRA is 66 and 2 months and not 65 and 2 months thus she could have been on medicrae already for a year.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Have you actually looked at SS online..how did you signup for your Medicare?

I think you are making this too complicated...

Don't take this the wrong way but you have a lot of extra details in your questions which confuses the issue. We can help you faster and with less confusion if you pare things down a little.. Signing up for SS and what they do about refunding Medicare payments are two different issues.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post

I am pretty sure she means her FRA is 66 and 2 months and not 65 and 2 months thus she could have been on medicrae already for a year.
Ah. You're probably correct. I just took her at her word. It's probably due to that 130+ fever she had the other day and she is still a little addle-headed (Just joshing with you CindyBlue)
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Ah. You're probably correct. I just took her at her word. It's probably due to that 130+ fever she had the other day and she is still a little addle-headed (Just joshing with you CindyBlue)
Or it could be the Nyquil talking probably not the best time to be reading SS advice from posters!

This is joke, just so you all know..
Old 12-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Sorry, MissMolly...my FRA is 66 and two months, not 65 and two months. I've edited my original post to reflect this correction!
Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Or it could be the Nyquil talking probably not the best time to be reading SS advice from posters!

This is joke, just so you all know..
Damn, I did it again! That 130 degree temp really addled my brain

And in my family and in my old workplace, if they didn't tease you and josh with you, they didn't like you! Tease away (especially when I really, really deserve it as I certainly do now (sheesh, I have to be more careful! And I'm using "Covid Brain" as an excuse as long as I can )
Old 12-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #12

...and I know that if I don't start proofreading my posts more carefully, none of you will ever take anything I say seriously again, right
Old 12-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I don't think you can apply in person for SS, aren't the offices closed ?

I haven't applied yet, so don't really know, but when I went in yrs ago for a simple thing, it was crowded and I waited a long time.

OP - do you already have a SS online sign in account , where you can see your benefits and information ?
Yep, but I think they give exceptions so I might be able to get one if I push hard enough.
I do have a SS account.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Make sure to unfreeze your credit bureau info because SSA will look at it for verification.
That's interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

Why do they need to look at my credit? Doesn't everybody who has earned SS get it, no matter their credit? (mine is excellent, by the way, but I hate to have to go through the hassle of unfreezing my credit bureau info - grrr!!!)

Edited to add: Or is unfreezing my credit bureau info only necessary to apply for the SS account online? I think I had to do it then...
Old 12-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

Why do they need to look at my credit? Doesn't everybody who has earned SS get it, no matter their credit? (mine is excellent, by the way, but I hate to have to go through the hassle of unfreezing my credit bureau info - grrr!!!)
Cindy look online at your SS account, they already verified you for Medicare..it should be a simple online signup. I actually think you should give this a break until you are feeling back to normal.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post

Why does SS need to do this? Never heard this before.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Cindy look online at your SS account, they already verified you for Medicare..it should be a simple online signup. I actually think you should give this a break until you are feeling back to normal.
I read this to my DH and he said..."Why should you be "feeling back to normal"? You never were normal to begin with!"

And don'cha know, I agree with him

But I read through everything suggested here by you kind folks, and then just went for it, and it wasn't hard at all - almost too easy, in fact. Having already set up the online Social Security account really helped streamline the process. Considering how crazy some of my "Covid-Brain" responses have been here lately (!!!) I checked each answer with my DH twice (but since he's recovering, too (just about two weeks ahead of me) I don't know how good HIS responses are either!) But between us we got it all filled in - nothing was tricky except which is the account number and which is the routing number on my checking account

But it's done, and those of you who have been following my saga since...hmm, 2016?...know how much of a worrier I am, so you would know how happy I am to finally get this over with!

As usual, you have helped me out again! Thank you!
Old 12-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Why does SS need to do this? Never heard this before.
I'm pretty sure it's needed to open the "MySocial Security Online" account. I already had one, so I didn't need to do it to sign up for Social Security today. I wish I could remember if I had to do it when I opened my online account, but I just don't...sigh...

EDOTED TO ADD: Just found a short article about that...therefore, I must have unfrozen my credit to open my Soc Sec online account.
https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02711
Old 12-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #19

Quote:
How will already having Medicare affect my Social Security application, if at all?
It won't have any effect on your SS application. At least that was my experience.

Quote:
Should I try to apply online? Is the success rate good there or do people run into trouble?
I didn't have any trouble at all, and that seems to be the norm.

Quote:
Or should I try to make an in-person appointment?
Unless there's some reason to I wouldn't advise it. Why make it harder than it has to be?
Old 12-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It won't have any effect on your SS application. At least that was my experience.

I didn't have any trouble at all, and that seems to be the norm.

Unless there's some reason to I wouldn't advise it. Why make it harder than it has to be?
You were right on everything!