Similar Stocks The simple and easy way to find similar ETFs, stocks and funds

eroscott

Full time employment: Posting here.
Similar Stocks: The simple and easy way to find similar ETFs, stocks and funds
https://similarstocks.com/

When looking for comparable mutual funds (and ETFs) I found this site very interesting and useful. Thought I'd share. It also shows negative (and positive) correlated funds.

Do you have other useful *unique* sites related to mutual funds and ETFs?

Research popular ETFs, funds and stocks to find other funds with returns that are highly correlated or negatively correlated.

What does positively correlated mean?

This means that if you look at the daily movement of two stocks, they generally move in the same direction.

For example, the Vanguard - Total Stock Market ETF is extremely highly correlated to the Schwab - Multi-Cap Core ETF, because both of them are generally composed of the same underlying combination of stocks. So when the different stocks go up and down everyday, these funds will generally move up and down in lockstep because they have very similar buckets of the various underlying assets.

What does negatively correlated mean?

This means that if you look at the daily movement of two stocks, they generally move in the different direction.

The types of funds which are negatively correlated will generally have entirely different types of assets. For example, the Vanguard - Total Stock Market ETF has a high negative correlation to the Vanguard - Long-Term Government Bond ETF, because the underlying assets (stocks and government bonds) generally move in opposite directions everyday.

However among large funds, negative correlations are often weaker than positive correlations. So while it is often very easy to find ETFs that are almost exactly the same, it is generally not possible to find ones that are exactly opposite.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the major difference is that similarstocks comes up with them vs you having to manually pick/find/guess them yourself for the comparison. Hope that makes sense.

Example: https://similarstocks.com/vigax

ozy2ZwN.png

<snip>

Clp3fIL.png

I'm bookmarking it. If I had known about it last year, it would have saved me a lot of time. I tried to find out what time period the correlations were calculated over but I was unsuccessful.

It looks like a two year benchmark, so I'm not sure it's really helpful for my goals.

In addition no individual stocks, just funds.

for example, you'll get a negative correlation between stocks and commodities. The last ones have been tanking pretty consistently the past few years and the first one we all know what happened there.

Same with financials, they had low correlation recently, but not end of 2008/2009 as we all know. Not enough data.

I'm much more interested in individual companies who tend to not go down as much when the market tanks, over a longer period of time. I'd like to see at least 20 years (although 10 is a good start).

The concept is really interesting though. Using morningstar (or bloomberg) data as source it should be possible to build something much more powerful (I won't do it though :)).

According to this site, Vanguard Target Retirement 2060 and Vanguard Target Retirement 2030 are 100% correlated.

Similar Stocks: The simple and easy way to find similar ETFs, stocks and funds
https://similarstocks.com/

When looking for comparable mutual funds (and ETFs) I found this site very interesting and useful. Thought I'd share. It also shows negative (and positive) correlated funds.

Do you have other useful *unique* sites related to mutual funds and ETFs?

From what I see, it does not track several funds & ETFs I hold.

Back
Top Bottom