Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
FWIW, I went to my local SS office. I did not know that I could wait and ask them my question. Waited 90 minutes before being called.

(I'm 68.5 yrs old and want to file for SS in Jan 2017)

1. SS man said "if you are between 66 and 70, the SS estimator on the SS website, does not give totally accurate data on your monthly payment, it needs to be calculated (by me) manually." This puzzles me, but oh well.

2. The SS man gave me a printout, specifically for me, covering multiple months between ages 66 and 70 and highlighted Jan of 2017, like I asked. Each month showed an increase in my monthly payment. He also stated that I could file for Jan 2017 SS online, right now (9/29/16).

3. I asked him directly.. "If I had filed in May of this year, would I have received all of my benefits up to and including the month of May? " He said "yes". I said "So, I would not have lost any benefits between January and May." He said "No, of course not".

I post this only as the solution to my situation. I had found that the SS estimator numbers for "current" did not change from one month to the next making me suspicious and unable to accurately calculate what my payment would be in Jan, 2017.
I had a similar conversation with rep in our local office when I was exploring taking my benefit on Jan 17 vs Sept 17.
She, however, acknowledged and confirmed that after Jan, my monthly payment would NOT include the monthly adjustment. She also indicated that the payment would then be adjusted the next Jan. to the correct level. So you would "not loose any benefits" unless you count not getting the missing payments for prior months. I did not clarifications without asking very specifically amounts. I suspect some reps consider you getting the adjustment the following Jan "not losing any benefit".
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
filing in january gets you everything due you
Just to clarify, filing means applying or does it mean starting to collect in January?

I am assuming this means, you can't apply in December for payments starting in January and expect to receive everything due you.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

imagine your boss says to you as a hypothetical example. in am giving you a raise in july of 10 dollars a month but i am not going to give you the money until january . comes january you will get the new pay amount going forward but i am not actually going to give you the 10 bucks a month retro for the months you got you old rate . we will just accumulate each month and in january give you that increase on new checks .

that is what ss does from fra to 69 if you file mid year . you get the new higher rate in january but they do not go back and give you the retro money you did not receive yet
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #24

I also asked a rep in person. He said he guessed I got the increase, but he was new so he'd check with his guru. That answer was consistent with the one I posted earlier.

The new rep said to the guru "But he get a retroactive payment, right?". The guru half smiled and said "no". I expect he's had that question before.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just to clarify, filing means applying or does it mean starting to collect in January?

I am assuming this means, you can't apply in December for payments starting in January and expect to receive everything due you.
I "think", from talking to a SS fellow, that you can apply in Dec to start your SS in January.

You don't have to show up January 1st , and tell them "start me today" .
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I "think", from talking to a SS fellow, that you can apply in Dec to start your SS in January.

You don't have to show up January 1st , and tell them "start me today" .
The local SS office set my phone "interview" for a January start --Nov 15.
Not saying you could not wait until later but personally I would not want to wait pass Dec 15 to apply for Jan.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
The local SS office set my phone "interview" for a January start --Nov 15.
Not saying you could not wait until later but personally I would not want to wait pass Dec 15 to apply for Jan.
Nwsteve
Note that social security actually pays on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th wednesday of the month depending on the day of the month you were born 1-10 2nd, 11-20 3rd, 21-31 4th.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that social security actually pays on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th wednesday of the month depending on the day of the month you were born 1-10 2nd, 11-20 3rd, 21-31 4th.
My birthdate is the 18th and DW's is the 10th. We both receive our checks on the 3rd Wednesday.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote