Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a pile of CC and Store accounts... but dont regularly carry any with us.
Will take one if we are traveling, or going to make a specific purchase
Use our banks Debit Card for daily use.. or cash...
Of all our CC accounts 4 have a balance. Amazon thats normally paid of monthly.
3 others are 0% purchases and will be paid off in time.
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
We have a pile of CC and Store accounts... but dont regularly carry any with us.
Will take one if we are traveling, or going to make a specific purchase
Use our banks Debit Card for daily use.. or cash...
Of all our CC accounts 4 have a balance. Amazon thats normally paid of monthly.
3 others are 0% purchases and will be paid off in time.
Not trying to pitch a hand grenade into the party, but just wondering why the use of a Debit Card when you could use a CC and receive cash back and/or "points." I don't think I even have a debit card any more. The banks don't typically protect you from fraudulent purchases with them either as I recall. I DO like to have cash with me. It may be a hold over from when I was young and had none. Also, it's taken me a while to be willing to charge a couple of dollars, but I'm learning (with DW "reminding" me about the cash back!). If there is a major advantage to Debit Cards, I'd like to learn about it as I'm currently ignorant about DCs. Thanks

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #63

I got a cc a few years back after actively avoiding them. At this point I'm fine with just 1 Visa + 1 Debit. Pre-pandemic I only used the debit card taking out a months worth of cash on the 1st of the month. But now I use the Visa for everything including a $3.53 charge at the 99c Store today. I currently have no desire to touch cash. Maybe it'll be different when this is over. Also I lost my Visa in Avalon 2018. Had a new one at the concierge the next morning
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #64

My name is Grasshopper I must be a CC junky. I have 40 year old cards I just can't get rid of an ATT card that I still get 30 free min of long distance, who needs that today. Yet I just cashed in a $25 reward for some program that they had running.

With the covid thing Ms G signed up for a Chase 5% grocery on everything but Walmart, so I signed up for the CapOne Walmart card 5% on groceries and online.

We use Discover and Chase for the 5% quarterly categories, Citi Costco for dining when Discover and Chase don't offer it.

Our B&M is WFB so I have cards from them and CapOne is my online bank with a World card for me and a Quicksilver for Ms G.

Yes it is exhausting.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
...Yes it is exhausting.
then why not simplify your life. it'll feel really goooooood. ahhhhhhhh
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
I think there is a benefit of having two credit cards from different companies. If a problem develops with one of them (lost or stolen card, bank issue, and so on) you will still have the other one to use.

My wife and I each carry different credit cards for this reason when we travel.

Having two doesn't mean you have to carry both of them all the time.
I agree with the 2 CC. Unfortunately, my CC has been compromised a few times. Cap One is fantastic, and in fact you can immediately get the number of you new card, but it takes a few days to get the physical card. I like a physical card. So I keep another in my desk in my home, so I have that...I also feel comfortable with 2, if i'm travelling...ah..I remember those days...But I hide one, in my luggage...and have the other with me..
2retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I think there is a benefit of having two credit cards from different companies. If a problem develops with one of them (lost or stolen card, bank issue, and so on) you will still have the other one to use.

+1
JeKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have two hotel chain no-fee credit cards. Now and then I get an upgraded room because they make me slightly better than a lump-of-coal level member.

I hope you are safe and well; neither imprisoned by anxiety nor liberated by foolhardiness.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #69
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not trying to pitch a hand grenade into the party, but just wondering why the use of a Debit Card when you could use a CC and receive cash back and/or "points." I don't think I even have a debit card any more. The banks don't typically protect you from fraudulent purchases with them either as I recall. I DO like to have cash with me. It may be a hold over from when I was young and had none. Also, it's taken me a while to be willing to charge a couple of dollars, but I'm learning (with DW "reminding" me about the cash back!). If there is a major advantage to Debit Cards, I'd like to learn about it as I'm currently ignorant about DCs. Thanks
+1

The only reason I have a debit card is if I can't get an ATM access code for the ATM. 1 time in last 2 years. Otherwise it never gets used.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:41 PM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I want to simplify my life more and am looking to get down to one personal CC and Debit card perhaps. I never enjoyed CC churning and abhor a wallet filled with plastic ... more things to worry about lost/stolen and more to keep track of. I guess I feel life is getting short and I don't need to be spending hours managing accounts.

My wife and I hold joint accounts at BoA to deal with most of our bill paying and spending.

I currently have a Debit card from BoA and a Debit plus CC from my personal CU. My wife also has her set of CCs. The there are the other credit card for purchasing (Amazon, Lowes, LL Bean .....)

So, my plan is to condense to one Debit and 1 CC. I opened a Fidelty CMA so I think I will go with Fido for both cards.

Anyone else moving to minimize CCs?
I maintain what I have to keep credit score intact. Sometimes easier to finance something at a low rate, especially if a bonus is involved. I got a $2500 cash back on my last new car. Made 4 payments and then paid it off.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Make sure both of you have your own CC's (i.e. are the primary card holder on the account.) My DH is a secondary card user on my CC's and I'm the secondary on his. Either way, we both have individual credit should we need it. I have seen what happens when a husband dies and all the CC's were in her husband's name. Not a happy situation...
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote