Six Years of Wit and Wisdom

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Or was it just a bunch of dumb-ass comments ?

I couldn't help but notice that exactly 6 years ago today I joined the Early Retirement Forum.

My original plan was to be retired by now. But once the nestegg got to where it needed to be (surprise) I found that I really didn't want to quit working. The FI thing does a number on your attitude towards work.

Now some 3400 posts later I'm still here.

Depending on the day and the post.... both of those descriptions could apply to any of us!

Congrats on FI.

My original plan was to be retired by now. But once the nestegg got to where it needed to be (surprise) I found that I really didn't want to quit working. The FI thing does a number on your attitude towards work.

I joined 5 years ago and thought I'd be Ered by now. 2008 did a job on that and I'm still $100k short of my goal.

I originally RE'd back in 2003, for a couple of months, and then went back to work. Pretty much had a long hiatus from ERF, but am back now that ER is in the not to distant future. Lots to be learned here aside from pure ER subjects, so why not.

Congratulations on your fifth anniversary on the board, MB.

Now that your attitude has changed towards your job, do you plan to work until you are unable to continue?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your fifth anniversary on the board, MB.

Now that your attitude has changed towards your job, do you plan to work until you are unable to continue?

It's my Sixth anniversary here. I hear through the grapevine - that at 6 years - that you get a balloon or a bowl of soup or something :)

Per working, I plan on working as long as I enjoy it. The extra dollars don't hurt either. Clearly though if for some reason I couldn't continue then that would be the end.

I have posted this before that when I became FI, my attitude changed. All of a sudden the boss wasn't an A**hole anymore. Ditto for the co-workers. It's amazing when you can walk away how you see things differently.

Now, for me, I view working where I do as an honor and a privilege.

It's my Sixth anniversary here. I hear through the grapevine - that at 6 years - I get a balloon or a bowl of soup or something !

Oh, my mistake!! And I omitted your prize so I need to remedy that. Here's what you get for six years of loyal support and posting: ~~~>> :flowers: Happy 6th Anniversary!

MasterBlaster said:
I plan on working as long as I enjoy it. and the extra dollars don't hurt either. Clearly though if for some reason I couldn't continue then that would be the end.

I have posted this before that when I became FI, my attitude changed. All of a sudden the boss wasn't an A**hole anymore. Ditto for the co-workers. It's amazing when you can walk away how you see things differently.

Now, for me, I view working where I do as an honor a a privilege.

That is great! I just hope you don't end up depriving yourself of any life experiences that are important to you, until after you are physically able to do them. Some people (not me) want to do things like sail around the world, or travel extensively, or go back to school, and that sort of thing. As long as you are getting the maximum out of life, then more power to you and I am happy for you. :D

Last edited:
My pension system used to have an option to work for up to 36 years and get a higher percentage. You could still retire with 30, but the option was there. I was hired the day that option was rescinded, but it didn't make much sense if you could find another job and double dip. Anyway, I knew a lot of folks that kept working. Everyone told me that it was so much easier when you knew you could leave anytime you wanted. Most expected to get pissed off and leave the first week, but they all found they just didn't take it all that seriously anymore. Many stayed the full six additional years and most were happy the entire time. Their smiles were almost as big as the folks that retired...almost.

Congrats on your anniversary. Glad you found something you enjoy enough to keep doing.

Oh, my mistake!! And I omitted your prize so I need to remedy that. Here's what you get for six years of loyal support and posting: ~~~>> :flowers: Happy 6th Anniversary!

That is great! I just hope you don't end up depriving yourself of any life experiences that are important to you, until after you are physically able to do them. Some people (not me) want to do things like sail around the world, or travel extensively, or go back to school, and that sort of thing. As long as you are getting the maximum out of life, then more power to you and I am happy for you. :D

Well I have and do travel a bit. I have been literally around the world. The more I travel though, the more I like being home. These days, my travel plans include sailing around the sofa more than sailing around the world.

School :confused: I think I need to take a class in advanced remote control usage. Either that or a group session in finding your inner slug !

I'll have my 5 years in on August 3rd, at which time I will issue a LONG heart-felt apology for all my posts over the past 5 years...........:)

I'm still waiting for my FIL to finally die before it's worth even considering retirement. He's been in the "facility" for about 5 years now. He started in assisted, moved to memory care and he's now in skilled nursing. He got put on hospice almost a year ago and now they're kicking him off it because he's gotten better. Of course, "gotten better" doesn't mean he doesn't still sleep most of the day, has to be fed, get's his diaper changed and can't remember any of his children/grandchildren's names.

Sometimes being FI doesn't really drive the decision. There's not much point in retiring when I'd just have so much more time to go with DW and visit him.

When the day comes, I'll probably get to do more vacations than we're able to squeeze in now. I get 5 weeks per year of paid time off and have banked about 12 weeks. I figure I'll take vacations until I go negative. We're allowed to take unpaid time off that keeps our medical benefits going. When they say I have been taking to much, that will be my time to hang up the roller skates.

Er, yeah. I'm not hoping for anyone to die so I can retire.

But I've been here five years and for the most part I've really enjoyed reading the wit and wisdom (mostly wit) of those here.

i paid off my mortgage about a month ago, and begin to feel differently about work. i smile a lot more and don't get upset as much because worse comes to worst i can walk out. i like my job at a new level. i may postpone my ER just a little.

Dang... I just realized I am not far from my 5 year anniversary.

In a couple of weeks I'll be hitting my 6th anniversary on the site. How time flies....

Or was it just a bunch of dumb-ass comments ?

I couldn't help but notice that exactly 6 years ago today I joined the Early Retirement Forum.

Happy Anniversary. The most important thing I've realized is that health, happiness and FI are key. Once your there the employment thing isn't such a big deal. Take it or leave it stay loose and probably do a better job. - Well maybe not - since I'm sitting here at noon posting instead of having the nose to the grindstone. Anyway....

I did not join until after I retired. I had reserved the right to do another contract if needed but the FIRE process gave me confidence that we could swing it. Never looked back...

Er, yeah. I'm not hoping for anyone to die so I can retire.

But I've been here five years and for the most part I've really enjoyed reading the wit and wisdom (mostly wit) of those here.

You wouldn't want to live in his condition. Medical science has managed to extend his life far beyond the point of any quality of life. Alzheimer's has pretty much reduced him to a semi-conscious carbon unit.

Back
Top Bottom