Join Early Retirement Today

Slightly more detailed info on how much American retirees have saved...
Old 02-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Average American Household Approaching Retirement Has This Much Saved Up -- The Motley Fool

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Administrator

A snippet or summary would be nice.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
The 59% who have saved
The financial situation of this group was a much wider range, with 7% having less than $10,000 and 9% have more than a half-million dollars. Of this group:
  • The median net worth per household is $337,000.
  • 87% are homeowners, but only 27% own their home outright.
  • 45% have a defined benefit plan.

For those who are competitive, the authors also took into account all of the households with some retirement savings, and broke them down into percentiles. As a refresher, being in the 10th percentile means you have a nest egg bigger than 10% of all those with some saved up; the 90th percentile means you have more than 90% of those with some savings.

Here's how it all shook out.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Slightly more detailed info on the how much does America retirees have saved...
Old 02-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

Slightly more detailed info on the how much does America retirees have saved...

MichaelB. That is a lot to ask of someone posting on treadmill! Witness bad grammar in title!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The title is inaccurate. The average is not the median. $106,000 is the median.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Thanks, LARS. Interesting piece.

Rounding from the table in that article, and including the roughly 40% who have no "retirement savings," [roughly] indicates that having 106,113 in "retirement savings" put you in at the 70th percentile of all people age 55 to 64. (Note that the GAO report distinguished between retirement savings and non-retirement savings.)

Yet more proof that the demographics of the active posters here and on Bogleheads are not quite representative of the population at large.

But we all kind of knew that....
Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The title is inaccurate. The average is not the median. $106,000 is the median.
To say the median is not average, is being mean.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

The way I see this, at least 3/4 of the population of imminent retirees don't have much, if any, retirement savings. We of this forum would like to think that this is not our problem. For a while, I think it is unlikely to be our problem. However, eventually, if there is some sort of Arab spring here, it might become our problem. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
MichaelB. That is a lot to ask of someone posting on treadmill! Witness bad grammar in title!
I fixed the grammar, I think? If it isn't what you meant to say, then just contact me or any mod or admin and we can change it to what you meant.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #10

Oh, The Motley Fool. They keep sending me e-mails telling me that I have until midnight to sign up for their latest investment newsletter/scheme at an outrageously low introductory price. Then the next day, they send another e-mail extending the offer again, until midnight again. Then, amazingly, they extend the offer once more, for one last time.

Then a week or so later, the whole shenanigans begin all over again

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
The way I see this, at least 3/4 of the population of imminent retirees don't have much, if any, retirement savings. We of this forum would like to think that this is not our problem. For a while, I think it is unlikely to be our problem. However, eventually, if there is some sort of Arab spring here, it might become our problem. I hope it doesn't come to that. ....
Yes, sort of in line with television and audiences rewarding poor choices like Biggest losers, hoarders, We owe What, type of television.

Spend, don't save, and when you retire the gov't will fix it for you

Lack of personal responsibility..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link to the original GAO report. I'm sure this has been discussed previously.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/670153.pdf

It's a svelte 51 page pdf.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Sunset, bailing out the people who haven't bothered to save wasn't even remotely what I was thinking. More like the DW and I will finally have to get around to learning more about what everyone else is talking about regarding 2nd amendment rights and take self defense classes. Get to know the neighbors, etc. I think this is called "prepping".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
To say the median is not average, is being mean.
But that often is the mode around here.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
But that often is the mode around here.
Statistical humor! Love it - thanks for the laugh
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Note this information is based on survey taken by our Federal Government. I'd guess most of us have a certain amount of distrust in our government, and those that have saved diligently have probably low-balled their reported retirement savings. Anyone can lie on a survey. I put more faith in the 401K/IRA retirement saving account numbers reported by Fidelity.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I fixed the grammar, I think? If it isn't what you meant to say, then just contact me or any mod or admin and we can change it to what you meant.

Yes. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
The way I see this, at least 3/4 of the population of imminent retirees don't have much, if any, retirement savings. We of this forum would like to think that this is not our problem. For a while, I think it is unlikely to be our problem. However, eventually, if there is some sort of Arab spring here, it might become our problem. I hope it doesn't come to that.
If we end up in some kind of violent revolution then it will suck for everyone - an even better argument to enjoy ER now while we can.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Note this information is based on survey taken by our Federal Government. I'd guess most of us have a certain amount of distrust in our government...
I wouldn't just make this as a blanket assertion. I think one's level of trust/distrust in gov't figures depends a lot on one's political persuasion.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
If we end up in some kind of violent revolution then it will suck for everyone - an even better argument to enjoy ER now while we can.

You know I can see many very serious problems on the horizon for America. Indeed, if I let my Investment Banker trained mind run free, I can envision a complete meltdown of the financial system, but even in that instance I find it hard to see a violent revolution. Too much physical force is concentrated in the hands of the federal and state authorities for that to happen: and, the tradition of law and order runs very deep in the fabric of America. Just my opinion.