Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
The old NBC in New Orleans now Chase in Slidell - mine was a really sexy sounding woman caller, got flyers in the mail, and curiously invites to seminar/dinners -??not connected to the bank but inerestingly in the same time frame?? - not that I was paranoid or anything. Also - when I talked 'born again Vanguard/index funds' I am a steely eyed rocket man and have studied this stuff - they didn't stop but switched to pushing CD's.

Not as bad up here in Missouri - got a big flurry after I took out a thirty year mortgage - retirement seminars. Coincidence.

You are not paranoid - if they 'really' are out to get you.

Saw the Sean Connery movie.

heh heh heh - It slows down after ER - but it never totally stops.
At least it wasn't just because I am a woman (unless you really ARE a blonde teenager from Missoula! ). I guess I didn't persuade him that I couldn't be budged from Vanguard because I didn't get the CD pitch, at all. Mine was a man who sounded like Perry Mason from the old TV show; deep, resonant, attractive sounding voice. Guess the sexy women call the guys and vice versa.

For the past five years or so I have received a lot of invitations to retirement seminars in the mail (usually to be held at a restaurant, often Don's, which is tempting) but I just toss them in the trash.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
BTW, did you want an annuity with that?
With that? Usually that is the primary offering by the bank reps. More like, would you like a CD or ridiculously expensive mutual fund with your annuity? Have a pen with our logo on it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
With that? Usually that is the primary offering by the bank reps. More like, would you like a CD or ridiculously expensive mutual fund with your annuity? Have a pen with our logo on it.
LOL!!! You are all making me feel a lot better. I am probably a prime target because I am so inexperienced with investing and timid, as well as green. But maybe I know more than I realize. I know enough not to want any of those from my bank, not even the pen (I have plenty from other vendors).

With an inheritance comes all sorts of baggage that is making me feel more timid at the moment. I feel a responsibility not to let it slip through my fingers, since my family worked so hard for it. If I let my own money slip through my fingers, I'd just tighten the belt and I would never feel this timid in the first place. Also increasing one's net worth by several times is a different dynamic. Nice, but a little edgy.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"No thank you. I'm not interested"

"Please remove me from your marketing list"

"Please add me to your do not call list"

"If you call me again, I will be moving all of my business to the local credit union"

"Please transfer me to your bank manager"

One or more of those should get you the desired result. Never discuss what you plan to do with anything. Well-intentioned, but it just gives him another angle to attempt to sell with.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I felt similarly violated by my credit union.

I was getting a signature guarantee to move some cash from Fidelity to buy some Vanguard small / midcap funds. The clerk said he had to photocopy everything and left. When he returned he explained that the guys in the copy room were reviewing my investment choices and thought "now was a bad time" to be buying these funds.

I just laughed and left.

Little sh!t !!!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had lots of temporarily big balances in my checking account, and believe me it's worse when you actually go into the bank. Every time I go in for a simple transaction the investment advisors get called by the tellers and I have to spend a couple of minutes telling them that I'm not going to invest with them and it's just a temporary balance over and over before I get my transaction done.

The upside though is that they are so hungry that they help you out however they can. I got them to waive the minimum balance and direct deposit requirements for my checking account when I retired. The way they did it was worth sharing: They just set up a repeating $25 monthly transfer from checking to savings, and that was enough to satisfy their requirements for free checking at Wells Fargo.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I've had lots of temporarily big balances in my checking account, and believe me it's worse when you actually go into the bank. Every time I go in for a simple transaction the investment advisors get called by the tellers and I have to spend a couple of minutes telling them that I'm not going to invest with them and it's just a temporary balance over and over before I get my transaction done.
AARGH. Apparently I have to go in to the bank, to initiate the wire transfer later this week. Thanks for warning me. I will allow extra time to do it, and I'll go in with the toughest look possible on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
The upside though is that they are so hungry that they help you out however they can. I got them to waive the minimum balance and direct deposit requirements for my checking account when I retired. The way they did it was worth sharing: They just set up a repeating $25 monthly transfer from checking to savings, and that was enough to satisfy their requirements for free checking at Wells Fargo.
Hmm!! Well, I plan to drop this account anyway when I move north in a couple of years, after ER. But it's nice to know that they can be helpful.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

I was getting a signature guarantee to move some cash from Fidelity to buy some Vanguard small / midcap funds. The clerk said he had to photocopy everything and left. When he returned he explained that the guys in the copy room were reviewing my investment choices and thought "now was a bad time" to be buying these funds.

I just laughed and left.

Little sh!t !!!
That's awful!!! Even worse than my tale.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"We have this plan where our Private Bank picks portfolios for their clients. Up until last year,you had to have $25 million with us to get access to these portfolios, but now we are offering them to folks like you.

You ONLY pay 1.20% a year, on a quarterly basis. Of course you will pay the ER of the funds also, but they have done VERY WELL, and MOST of our bank customers are taking advantage of these awesome portfolios. All it takes is a few signatures"...........................:r olleyes:

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I just laughed and left.

Little sh!t !!!
I would have said: "I consider it a violation of my privacy to have unauthorized people looking at my private information, is the manager in"

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I would have said: "I consider it a violation of my privacy to have unauthorized people looking at my private information, is the manager in"
I thought about it, but decided that it wasn't worth the blood pressure spike.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The banks see these leads as low hanging fruit, but have never really been effective at doing much wth them, as your experience demonstrates. For whatever reason, I think the brokerages have been a lot more effecctive at capturing deposits and lending business from their customers (Schwab bank, Etrade bank, etc.).
My guess is that brokers are better at it since they have been sales organizations since day 1. Banks, OTOH, have been very good at saying "We can't do that".

Ha
Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I just laughed and left.

Little sh!t !!!
This is the funniest financial planning story ever! Who else would you want to review your investment plan but "the guys in the copy room"? I am saving this--thanks for the chuckle of the week.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #34

I made the mistake of going to a "free lunch seminar" with a friend once. Had to listen to a lame presentation by an Ameriprise (yikes!) sales guy. Unfortunately, I didn't think to make up fake info when they asked for our contact info.

The guy called me multiple times and left voice mails. I finally answered once. He asked to meet with me to review our investment plan. I told him I had already analyzed our asset allocation and was comfortable with our % we had in lg, mid, small caps and within that in growth vs. value funds. He was quiet for a moment and said "Wow, I'd still like to meet with you. Maybe you could teach me something." Either he was being insulting or was thrown off his sales pitch, not sure...but he never did call me back again Mission accomplished.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

When I deposited a teeny inheritance check, the bankers refused to notarize an associated document; I'm a notary myself and know how simple that would be--how little it would "cost" them to keep my business. Needless to say I didn't receive any annoying call from them. However I need to order checks again and may use one of the remaining checks to transfer to another bank.

W2R your story is outrageous, my first impulse would be to write the bank and complain.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
The guy called me multiple times and left voice mails. I finally answered once. He asked to meet with me to review our investment plan. I told him I had already analyzed our asset allocation and was comfortable with our % we had in lg, mid, small caps and within that in growth vs. value funds. He was quiet for a moment and said "Wow, I'd still like to meet with you. Maybe you could teach me something." Either he was being insulting or was thrown off his sales pitch, not sure...but he never did call me back again Mission accomplished.
What a dumb comment.........I thought the purpose would be to teach YOU something..........

Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I would be incensed if my bank called me at home to discuss a recent large deposit! (unless they were warning me of suspected fraud or other problems)
DH taught me a foolproof method for getting rid of these parasites--although I first thought it was rather cruel... When it becomes obvious the caller is trying to sell you something over the phone, just lay the phone down gently and leave the room. You'll be surprised how long they will continue to talk, even with no feedback. Eventually they will hang up--and I have never had one call back a second time.
I dare say you will never miss any important offers that come as sales calls over the phone!
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdog View Post
I would be incensed if my bank called me at home to discuss a recent large deposit! (unless they were warning me of suspected fraud or other problems)
What if they told you that the new balance would enable you to double your interest rate, and all it would take is a couple minutes of your time? Banks are forever keeping customers that qualify for them in the wrong accounts to make more money.........

Never mind, noone would do that.........

Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wecome to the wonderful world of "cross-marketing." The big banks have been trying to do this for years. Some day they will get it right (maybe).

Yes... and the new one is when there is a line for the teller... one of the financial people will walk up and say "I can help you deposit that check over here".... and then walk you to their desk.... then pull up you finances and start to try and sell you..... man, what a waste of time... AND, they can not deposit your check anyhow... they take it up to one of the tellers when the line is gone!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes... and the new one is when there is a line for the teller... one of the financial people will walk up and say "I can help you deposit that check over here".... and then walk you to their desk.... then pull up you finances and start to try and sell you..... man, what a waste of time... AND, they can not deposit your check anyhow... they take it up to one of the tellers when the line is gone!!
Chase Bank, correct??