Join Early Retirement Today

Small businesses or jobs that you can make your own hours at?
Old 10-28-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Small businesses or jobs that you can make your own hours at?

I have health problems and there is times I have to just rest.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for good small businesses or jobs that you can do on your own time...or mainly take off if you get sick without creating too much problems?

Thanks

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I sell on ebay and amazon for me it is a hobby that I enjoy but I see the potential of it being a good work from home business .You would just need to find the right product to sell.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although I'm only an occasional seller on eBay, I second the recommendation.

Our local paper had a series of articles about a young couple who have developed a strong eBay business that nets on average $2,000/month. They began by traveling to a nearby outlet mall and buying up a bunch of clothes designed for teenage/young adult women. Everything they bought was from the 75% off rack, so they were paying very little for the items. (As the teenage trends change in a blink of an eye, this stuff is always on heavy markdown...just check out places like Abercrombie & Fitch, BeBe, American Apparel etc.)

Anyway, they posted the items on eBay, each with a starting price of 99 cents (so their listing costs were low), and soon they were getting sales...but not making too much money. In the article, it mentioned that they then read a book about selling on eBay, and decided to include international sales to see if that would make a difference. That's when their business really took off, with the vast majority of their sales from non-U.S. buyers. They only accept payments by credit card or thru Paypal -- no checks.

Now, they travel once a month to the outlet mall and buy up every piece of teen's clothing they can get on clearance. The funny thing is, when they first walked into the outlet store, they bought those first items as a lark!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you fluent in another language? Offline translation can be done anywhere. Could you do transcription services? Website development?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I sell on ebay and amazon for me it is a hobby that I enjoy but I see the potential of it being a good work from home business .You would just need to find the right product to sell.
An old shipmate (retired) scoops up kid's clothes at garage sales and resells on eBay. When he pays a dime for toddler jeans and the buyer pays shipping, everyone's happy that the sale price is a buck or two.

The other "hot item" he's found is collectible aviation magazines. San Diego has more than its share of aviators who hide this stuff in their attics for decades, and he's happy to take them off the widow's hands at a few dimes an issue to resell for dollars.

He says the USPS has made it a lot easier with their pickup & online services. He's getting paid ~$1000/month to prowl the streets.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #6

You don't mention where your talents lie, but if you can do something that leads to collecting royalties, that can be *very* flexible and even lucrative. I don't have a lot in the way of creative talent, but that doesn't keeping me from collecting "rent" for prior art that I lend to patent lawyers for cases that drag on for years.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Given your health problems, ebay retailing involves much physical activity. If you have a knack for writing, copywriting can be a lucrative home-based business. Even resume writing is a way to start simply.

It requires acquiring new skills and needs a computer and some "networking".
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
You don't mention where your talents lie, but if you can do something that leads to collecting royalties, that can be *very* flexible and even lucrative.
Agreed. I've been working on expanding my site, and right now we have a few great free e-books but the future will have some paid e-books, and my wife and I are both writing in-print books.

All it takes is the ability to type for starters, and then building up a few other skills can't hurt (such as marketing online).
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #9

People have always done non computer things at home like bookkeeping and tax prep. With computers you can do things like writing books, medical billings, designing websites.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
People have always done non computer things at home like bookkeeping and tax prep...
Good luck doing those things without a computer these days.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Good luck doing those things without a computer these days.
Well the OP didn't state that a computer was out of the question, so it's probably fair game to assume that either OP has one, or would get one for this purpose (besides, it could be deducted!)
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Although I'm only an occasional seller on eBay, I second the recommendation.

Our local paper had a series of articles about a young couple who have developed a strong eBay business that nets on average $2,000/month. They began by traveling to a nearby outlet mall and buying up a bunch of clothes designed for teenage/young adult women. Everything they bought was from the 75% off rack, so they were paying very little for the items. (As the teenage trends change in a blink of an eye, this stuff is always on heavy markdown...just check out places like Abercrombie & Fitch, BeBe, American Apparel etc.)

Anyway, they posted the items on eBay, each with a starting price of 99 cents (so their listing costs were low), and soon they were getting sales...but not making too much money. In the article, it mentioned that they then read a book about selling on eBay, and decided to include international sales to see if that would make a difference. That's when their business really took off, with the vast majority of their sales from non-U.S. buyers. They only accept payments by credit card or thru Paypal -- no checks.

Now, they travel once a month to the outlet mall and buy up every piece of teen's clothing they can get on clearance. The funny thing is, when they first walked into the outlet store, they bought those first items as a lark!
Years ago, I met a couple at the airport that was essentially doing the same thing. They specialized in sneakers and jeans. Sneakers evolve every six months starting in the high priced (i.e. US) markets. This was before the Ebay rage, but confirms the idea that you could 'arbitrage' the difference in value for for fashion items in different markets.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Given your health problems, ebay retailing involves much physical activity. ".
I was in Indianapolis for awhile last month and saw one of the Ebay service centers where you just drop off your items and they do all the "work" of listing it, monitoring the auction, and shipping....not sure what their cut is, but that would eliminate some of the work. Ive never seen one of those service centers here in the DC area, but I believe it is just an independent Ebay listing service.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I was in Indianapolis for awhile last month and saw one of the Ebay service centers where you just drop off your items and they do all the "work" of listing it, monitoring the auction, and shipping....not sure what their cut is, but that would eliminate some of the work. Ive never seen one of those service centers here in the DC area, but I believe it is just an independent Ebay listing service.
We had one here in a store front across from a big mall. After being in business for a few weeks apparently they absconded with a bunch of $$, vanished, and left their customers high and dry. This is not to say that this happens often, but it surprised me. I guess one should check such businesses out before dropping stuff off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone

I got pretty turned off to ebay but I know there are a lot of people who make money selling stuff on there.

I bought a taillight for my car on ebay last winter for like $20. I sent payment as a money order and the guy said he never received the money order and then said he would ship my taillight anyway. A few weeks went by and he disconnected his phone and e-mail so I couldn't contact him. I ended up canceling the money order and loosing 6 bucks after a big hassel. Ebay could not be LESS helpful! I e-mailed and told them what happed and they made it seem like it was my fault.

Bottom line for me I wasted a ton of time for nothing dealing with some crooked person states away.

I bought a taillight from a local junkyard for $35 dollars so I paid more but I had it in my hands in a few hours.

I just do not like dealing with people that I can't see. I think the possible exception is if someone has a great feedback rating then they are probably good to deal with.

Who knows though down the line I might give selling stuff on there a try but I really would rather deal with people that I can see.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote