Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I want to be like you one day

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations!
2 million is my next goal. 😊
BackHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have done well, but 2m isn't a small milestone. Great job!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #24

What a nice milestone! Congratulations.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations! Great milestone.
compounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:12 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The second million is easier.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for all the Congrats, folks. Now back w*ork so I can reach the BIG milestone!
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Congratulations on your "small" attainment! Ain't it great when you and your spouse are on the same page financially?
Yes, if I had a spouse that was a spender, I don't know how long the marriage would last.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement. How are you planning to celebrate? It's important to celebrate milestones to enjoy the journey.
Lots of beers. A tad bit of a headache this AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy your riches.
Freedom2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

A "small" milestone?? It sounds plenty big to me.

Congratulations!!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I open a bottle of Veuve Clicquot or DP for every big milestone of that sort. I put the date on the cork and tuck it away -- with the other corks -- way up on a top book shelf, way in the back against the wall. Only I know they are there, but for some reason I get my jollies knowing I have that stash marking those big milestones.

That's a great tradition. I might start doing the same, but stashing the corks in a wine glass, way up in the bar.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #33

Definitely a big milestone. $2M was my "magic number" that I set as my threshold before retirement 5 years ago. Of course with the market up around 80% since then that worked out to be wildly conservative, but you never know until you go.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I open a bottle of Veuve Clicquot or DP for every big milestone of that sort. I put the date on the cork and tuck it away -- with the other corks -- way up on a top book shelf, way in the back against the wall. Only I know they are there, but for some reason I get my jollies knowing I have that stash marking those big milestones.

Congrats to you; have a drink!
I like this idea! I think I might do something similar with the Mrs...buy her a nice bottle of Pinot, we are within sights of a psychological but not quite "technical" milestone... I think I might do something similar but instead start a little rock garden and hike around for celebration on our BIG milestones...

BIG milestones Yet to come:
- 1MM invested in equities
- Final debt payment (mortgage)
- The day we reach FI (Financial Independence)
- The day we decide to retire
- The day the wedding checks clear
- The day the "gift" letter is signed for the kiddos homes
- The first contribution to a grandchild's education account
- HOPEFULLY the final payment of all grandchildren's education

I see at least 8 rocks, if we go back in time I could add a few more with us both landing career jobs, getting married, buying first property, and having the kids.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice job hitting that Milestone!! I would be good with hitting that Milestone prior to ER

Funny, my original magic number was 1M which seemed pretty unobtainable 10 years ago when I had less than 30K put away.

But its never too late to start so now here I am at 1.4M. At this point I have no magic number except my ER date. I will just continue to sock it away until then and see where I land.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
At this point I have no magic number except my ER date. I will just continue to sock it away until then and see where I land.
$3M is sort of my magic number, which I hope to have in 5 years. However, there are 2 other big pieces to my ER puzzle. First is bridging the gap to 59.5, as I'll be 48 when I ER if all goes as planned. DW is 5 years older than me, so we'll really only need to bridge 6 years. The second is managing income in order to stay under the ACA cliff during at least that bridge period and hopefully longer.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #37

Now, finding out you hit $2M at 43 is way more impressive & major than the OP. What percentage is post tax? My milestones were alway first, on paper, pre & post tax combined, then the same amount post tax. But now I’m 62.5 & already retired, so those are nowhere near as important to me as they used to be or as impressive. Now I just want to spend it!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #38

Nothing small about that. Congrats!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #39

Congrats, it probably went down a bit today with the Dow and Nasdaq losing 3% - 4%. But no worries.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Now, finding out you hit $2M at 43 is way more impressive & major than the OP. What percentage is post tax? My milestones were alway first, on paper, pre & post tax combined, then the same amount post tax. But now I’m 62.5 & already retired, so those are nowhere near as important to me as they used to be or as impressive. Now I just want to spend it!

This is the issue. At this point, only about $400k of the $2M is post tax. I’m really trying to ramp up that bucket over the next 5 years.