Join Early Retirement Today

Small milestone - $2M
Old 09-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Small milestone - $2M

So, this morning when I updated my spreadsheets, as I do every morning (I know, I'm obsessed) I noticed that for the first time ever that our net worth (not including real estate) passed the $2M mark. We've been able to put this together mostly over the last 10 years. The plan is to tack $1M more on in the next 5 and then RE right as my daughter is graduating high school (529 should come very close to covering the bulk of her higher ed). Or, we will at least head south to better weather and the mountains. I guess if my company made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I'd hang around for a bit longer. But, at that point, it would be purely my choice.

Anyway, I can attribute much of this progress to the wise tutelage I received from many of you folks. So, I thought I'd share.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. That's a nice milestone.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations on learning, planning, implementing, and passing this milestone.

Several years ago while I was in a similar situations with 5 years to RE and concurrent high school graduation w/ 529, I was blown away by the Bogleheads post at link below.

I read this dozens of times as I began to understand the many opportunities to manage and reduce taxation in ER. These strategies are working great, along with keeping income below 400% of FPL for ACA health credits.

There's a bit of banter in the thread to wade thru, I hope you find the info as valuable as I have.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87471
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I don't think that's a small milestone, I think that is a very significant milestone.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #5

Still a big amount in fly over country where I live.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice work. Quite the accomplishment.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I open a bottle of Veuve Clicquot or DP for every big milestone of that sort. I put the date on the cork and tuck it away -- with the other corks -- way up on a top book shelf, way in the back against the wall. Only I know they are there, but for some reason I get my jollies knowing I have that stash marking those big milestones.

Congrats to you; have a drink!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Congratulations on learning, planning, implementing, and passing this milestone.

Several years ago while I was in a similar situations with 5 years to RE and concurrent high school graduation w/ 529, I was blown away by the Bogleheads post at link below.

I read this dozens of times as I began to understand the many opportunities to manage and reduce taxation in ER. These strategies are working great, along with keeping income below 400% of FPL for ACA health credits.

There's a bit of banter in the thread to wade thru, I hope you find the info as valuable as I have.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87471
Thanks for the reference. i'll sift through it and try and learn some more!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

Congratulations! I would call this a BIG milestone. It sounds like you are well on your way to a wonderful early retirement.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Congratulations! I don't think that's a small milestone, I think that is a very significant milestone.
Didn't mean to diminish the amount. Just saying it's a small milestone on the way to the BIG milestone, which is FIRE!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I open a bottle of Veuve Clicquot or DP for every big milestone of that sort. I put the date on the cork and tuck it away -- with the other corks -- way up on a top book shelf, way in the back against the wall. Only I know they are there, but for some reason I get my jollies knowing I have that stash marking those big milestones.

Congrats to you; have a drink!
That's a nice tradition! I should think of something like that to do. And, yes, I'll definitely have a drink or 3 this evening. However, i'm not quite the connoisseur that you are. I'll just have some Budweisers!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #12

First 'M' is the hardest, eh?

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #13

I'd say that's a pretty damned impressive milestone! $2M was my magic number, for several years, although as I got closer to it I started falling into One More Year syndrome. I briefly popped the $2M barrier back in February, before the bottom got shot out of the market. I got back above it, barely, toward the end of August.

With luck, I'll stay there for awhile, this time. Anyway, congratulations! It's definitely a good place to be!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #14

Congratulations on your "small" attainment! Ain't it great when you and your spouse are on the same page financially?
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement. How are you planning to celebrate? It's important to celebrate milestones to enjoy the journey.
Toocold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent work! Congrats!
Old 09-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #17

congrats, we just crossed that mark recently too.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #18

Congratulations! That’s a great milestone to reach. The next one is even easier!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go and congratulations on your milestone!
ATX78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done! That is so far ahead of a small mile stone! Many never break 1M
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote