Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2017, 01:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just because you never got your paper doesn't mean it wasn't delivered. Anyone might have snagged your paper for any number of reasons. The most likely culprit is someone who knows you and is now having a good laugh.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 02:58 AM   #22

You know, some of us scrimped and saved for decades to get to where we are today: RE'ed or semi-RE'ed. We may need to de-program the thrift a little. DW and I have had this conversation many, many times. Used to fight every battle we had as "ripped off" consumers. I now cringe at some of the things we would do when we were "wronged". I once left a ten cent tip to a waitress on a holiday weekend (to make my point). Yep, the service WAS lousy, some of the worst we had experienced. But it was a holiday, and the place was most likely understaffed.

Lately, we try to take the attitude of picking our battles over larger money problems. Cable co. jacks up the rate $20 a month-sure, we'll take those guys on and will wait on hold for hours, or even better, shop it out to save $. McDonalds cashier shorts me a dime? Nah.... (I also try to determine if it was an honest mistake (cashier example) or corporate greed/trying to scam the public (cable).

Personally, OP, I admire your spunk, and I would have fought the same battle 10 years ago. Bet they deliver your paper after the first phone call next time. (Of course, it will have been spat on....)
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshort52 View Post
Thankfully you are retired so you have the time to deal with such a tragic event. I wish my life could be so simple that I could get all bent out of shape over something so trivial. I am curious if in your 25 years as a loyal customer if you have ever called and complimented them on getting your paper to you during inclement weather or thanked them for starting and stopping your paper while you were on vacation. Did you bother to find out why your paper never showed? Was there an accident or a health issue or did they not deliver it just to piss you off? What are your plans for the $3.70 of pure stolen profit?

I agree with Street's comment. It's not a battle I would have fought but you have to do what you have to do I guess.
+1

Sad.
HGTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
There is no minimum amount that can be credited back to a credit card. They pay a fee of around 3% of the amount charged, and most merchants don't pay anything for issuing a credit. It sounds like because of some random policy they gave you more than they needed to.

My paper frequently goes missing on Sundays. But I only pay ten cents per newspaper for home delivery, and I don't have the patience to chase after them for my dime.

Ten cents is the delivery charge or ten cents for the paper and delivery?
Have not seen a paper for ten cents in twenty five years
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
It is for Sunday only newspaper service. $10 for two years of newspapers. It's the Orange County Register, not LA Times, but still not a bad deal. If anyone in Orange County is interested, here is the link to the Groupon deal:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/orange-county-register-3
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I see you were the one to take over my route. We were the "other" paper. So much more spread out. So many memories of falling asleep as the distributor was late dropping my bundle. Mom taking me out in the snow....only on occasion. Hard collections
My brother had a route like that and was pretty responsible about doing it himself. OTOH, a friend and I had a paper carrier in NJ whose mother drove her around EVERY day to deliver the paper and also to collect. She never had change. I offered to pay by check once. She gave me a blank stare. We decided it was really Mom's paper route.

To get back to the OT- I wouldn't fight for amounts that small but typically how hard I fight for what amount of money is a function of my attitude towards the vendor/creditor.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
....having bad flashbacks of being a 12-yr old paperboy. My route was approx 8 miles of pedaling to deliver to less than 50 customers. Seven days a week getting up at the crack of dawn earned me about $30 a month.
And I bet the route was uphill all the way out & back to the house.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #28
gone traveling

I gave up on the local delivery both due to variable time & even whether I got it. Really went downhill last five years. So now we get it on line where delivery is always before we get up & we can enlarge the print.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #29

Though I'd have chased bigger game, I appreciate the spirit in this. If no one calls attention to poor service that service will continue to deteriorate.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #30

It is definitely time for this video to make an appearance....

Old 12-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
I have paid $1.00 for a year, Sunday only, for the past two years. Newspapers are hurting. Advertisements are how they make money. They need households to say they take the paper, even if the subscriptions are nearly free.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My wife grew up with 7 in her family in a dirt floor hut in the jungle. Unless you count their grandma and other extended family that lived with them occasionally then you're talking double digits living in that tiny 1 room dirt floor hut. And least they didn't have pesky possessions taking up valuable living space!
My wife grew up with 5 kids sleeping on WWII bunk beds in a tiny apartment. Furniture was fruit crates covered with cloth flour sacks. No car, no television, no telephone. A single chicken fed 7 people 3 meals. Existed in dried beans and next to no meat. No sugar. Lunch was an egg salad sandwich that went into the trash at schoo!. Father was a railroader making twice what other families made, but his paycheck went to the tavern--alcoholic.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Though I'd have chased bigger game, I appreciate the spirit in this. If no one calls attention to poor service that service will continue to deteriorate.
I'm in this camp. I don't like to let people take advantage of me because they know that most won't object, and a lot of little ripoffs count up. Think phony charges on cable or phone bills. I also feel like I'm doing a service for others without the time to fight.

That said, not every battle is worth fighting, especially if an innocent little guy is hurt.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #34

The Boston Globe has some annoying things they do. If you go on vacation and want to suspend delivery while you're gone they still charge you unless you're suspending delivery for at least 3 weeks. So if you're a daily customer and you go away for 20 days you pay. If you're a Sunday-only customer (as I am), 3 weeks = 4 Sundays, not 3. This would really annoy me if it weren't for the fact that a Sunday-only home delivery subscription also gives me on-line access 7 days a week.

Friar, retired paper boy (Mancester CT Evening Herald)
Old 12-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #35

I had a temporary paper route after school for a couple of weeks while the paperboy was out of town with his parents. It was sometime in the late 50s. It was a small route that you had a canvas bag to carry the papers. They always included a couple of extra papers to leave as promotion to get more subscribers. Since it wasn't my route I sold them on the street corner for the standard price of 5 cents. Then bought a couple of candy bars before going home for dinner. Candy bars were a nickle at the time and I remember buying 3 Musketeers since they were the largest candy bar at the time. I thought there wasn't a better job in the whole world and hated to give it up when the paperboy came home.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #36

I always felt I "won" the battle with our local newspaper years ago. After something like a week with no delivery and no refund, after repeated phone calls, I finally cancelled my subscription.

They spent the next 10 years mailing and calling, trying to get me to re-subscribe. The theme was usually something like "we want you back!"

They've long since been bought out by MegaMediaCorp, their local office closed, probably no more local employees. But I still get the occasional "we want you back" mailing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Your mom took you out on snow days?? I knew better than to ask. I wish I had a bike. Just a skateboard.

Afterword I had a crust of bread and water for breakfast. And I was grateful.
Crust of bread!? We had to glean grain from the margins of the farmers field. And when there was no grain we ate sand.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Lets start off 2018 on the right foot!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Did you bother to find out why your paper never showed? Was there an accident or a health issue or did they not deliver it just to piss you off? What are your plans for the $3.70 of pure stolen profit?
I did not find out. I asked what the problem was. Was the carrier in bad health?, anything I could do to make sure that situation did not reoccur, etc. All the CSR said was "your edition for today will be delivered."

I am not sure I know how to invest my $3.70 windfall. I suppose I will have to contact a financial planner.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
.........I am not sure I know how to invest my $3.70 windfall. I suppose I will have to contact a financial planner.
Give to the paper carrier as a tip.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote