Small Ways to save big??

Rambler

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found this on Yahoo:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/986227 Small ways to save big.

There is really nothing new in there for this crowd. I was wondering though, how $60 kids jeans are a bargain when they are on sale for $20?? I've never owned a pair of $60 jeans, whether priced at $60 or from the bargain basket outside the outlet store. Most of the jeans I buy are regularly priced at $20 or less, and even better when on sale. Last pair of jeans I recall buying were $12.96 at wally world. Khakis and Chinos are also bought at an outlet, usually for about $20. I think the folks that wrote this column need some expert advice on LBYM (from this forum...)

R

I found this on Yahoo:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/986227 Small ways to save big.

There is really nothing new in there for this crowd. I was wondering though, how $60 kids jeans are a bargain when they are on sale for $20?? I've never owned a pair of $60 jeans, whether priced at $60 or from the bargain basket outside the outlet store. Most of the jeans I buy are regularly priced at $20 or less, and even better when on sale. Last pair of jeans I recall buying were $12.96 at wally world. Khakis and Chinos are also bought at an outlet, usually for about $20. I think the folks that wrote this column need some expert advice on LBYM (from this forum...)

R

I guess I can agree to disagree. While I am an avid shopper at Wally World, their clothes are not the best quality. I have found that by shopping the clearance aisles at TJ MAxx and Bulington Coat Factory, and Lands End, I may pay a little more, but the quality is 200% better, and the clothes last forever with good care. I have never bought a pair of shoes at Wall World and I don't plan to. I have 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds, but they are all 10-15 years old and still look great. Sometimes skimping gets you more headache than not.......:)

On this I have to agree with Finance Dude . I have several pairs of Liz Claiborne jeans that have lasted for years and still look good and I bought them at the outlet or on sale . I am all for better quality that lasts until I'm sick of it . By the way Finance dude the election is over so you can change your avatar . In fact if you change it I'll seriously consider purchasing an annuity from you .:D

On this I have to agree with Finance Dude . I have several pairs of Liz Claiborne jeans that have lasted for years and still look good and I bought them at the outlet or on sale . I am all for better quality that lasts until I'm sick of it . By the way Finance dude the election is over so you can change your avatar . In fact if you change it I'll seriously consider purchasing an annuity from you .:D

But if you are buying for a kid... they will outgrow it before it falls apart (well, not always I am coming to realize, but what fell apart was a good pair of sneakers)...

Moemg said:
By the way Finance dude the election is over so you can change your avatar . In fact if you change it I'll seriously consider purchasing an annuity from you .:D
Me too.....;)

But if you are buying for a kid... they will outgrow it before it falls apart (well, not always I am coming to realize, but what fell apart was a good pair of sneakers)...

I was talking about me and DW, NOT my 2 fast growing boys. However, the "hand-me-down" policy is firmly in place with most things except with regards to shoes.........

$2.

That's how much I spent for the LL Bean cargo pants that I'm wearing now. They are in like-new condition. I actually got seven pairs of these -- someone must have gained weight or something.

That price is typical, or even high, for prices at rummage sales and garage sales. We often get things for 50 cents.

At one sale, DW asked the price of a nice wool sweater. The woman said "50" and we thought she meant $50. It was only 50 cents.

If you're turned off by the yuck factor, forget it. Just wash the clothing in hot water before you wear it.

Fashion Show:

Today TromboneAl is resplendent in his LL-Bean-Drab cargo pants. These are topped off with an Old Navy fleece top, which he wears just about every day, and which set him back 50 cents.

His $9 pair of Wigwam Comfort Hikers offsets the outfit, but didn't break the bank. These Merino wool cozy socks were a gift.

Clothing 001.jpg

At one sale, DW asked the price of a nice wool sweater. The woman said "50" and we thought she meant $50. It was only 50 cents.

If you're turned off by the yuck factor, forget it. Just wash the clothing in hot water before you wear it.
Hope that wool sweater was waaay too big before you did that...;)

$2.

That's how much I spent for the LL Bean cargo pants that I'm wearing now. They are in like-new condition. I actually got seven pairs of these -- someone must have gained weight or something.

That price is typical, or even high, for prices at rummage sales and garage sales. We often get things for 50 cents.

I'm wearing jeans that were sent to me by an internet friend (I mentioned I'd lost weight and she offered to send me some clothes she couldn't wear because she'd gained weight).

I bought the turtleneck and the zip up vest at the thrift store for a few dollars.

I'm wearing jeans that were sent to me by an internet friend (I mentioned I'd lost weight and she offered to send me some clothes she couldn't wear because she'd gained weight).

I bought the turtleneck and the zip up vest at the thrift store for a few dollars.

What is so frustrating to me is we went to a thrift store the other day... and the prices were as high as wally (or more)... and they looked pretty worn...

My sister has gone to one in Austin for awhile... and found some good buys... sigh... I guess not for me...

I find that thrift stores are not as good as rummage or garage sales.

Also, I think prices at rummage/garage sales in the boonies are much lower. Things are often sold for 10 cents (e.g. electric meat thermometer, wine glass).

Reactions: oma

That is a great concept especially for dresses that we wear once for certain events or parties . I finally sold all of mine on ebay but I would have gladly given them to someone .My daughter donated her wedding dress to an organization that gives them to needy brides . Of course she is getting the tax right off but I paid for the dress .

SO and I have gotten some decent "deals" at the free "curb shop" recently. A few odd books to be sold thru the net (one netted $25.00!) and really nice delicate champagne glasses for special occasions. I leave my old electronics out there in a shopping bag; they are gone in an hour.

good thoughts- something additional to do when retired -no sense paying good money for overpriced clothing - don't need to impress anyone anymore anyway.

Just be sure to look at total cost. My wife wants to drive 40 miles every weekend to see if an area rug goes on sale so she can buy it. After 3 trips you've burned up more in gas than the differential between sale price and regular price. :rant: I try to get her to use the phone and call them rather than driving, but she gets a cup of Starbucks on the way and calls it a relaxing trip. :rolleyes:

And it's not just the gas cost...approximate cost to operate a car for a mile is 50-60 cents. A 10-mile trip is $5.50.:p

I find that thrift stores are not as good as rummage or garage sales.

Also, I think prices at rummage/garage sales in the boonies are much lower. Things are often sold for 10 cents (e.g. electric meat thermometer, wine glass).

I think that next spring I will start hitting garage sales for clothes (and take along a tape measure, since woman's clothing sizes are highly variable).

I live near a military base, so there are a lot of people coming and going; I need to get a base sticker so I can attend the annual on-base garage sale.

$2.

Gained weight, lost weight, died.

After stalking Craig's list for a couple of weeks, I finally scored some nice yuppie baby clothes. One bag for $10 and another for $20. Had Tommy Hilfiger, Oshkosh, and lots of baby Gap stuff. We will use them and then sell them again, probably for the same price.

For a long time, I did my Christmas shopping for the next year in January and February at places like Lord & Taylor - I bought a $100 lined jacket that was marked down, and down, and down again, and I had a 10% off coupon, I got it for $19. That was about 6 years ago and it still looks great.

My parents live in Europe and we spend Xmas there every year. So they have to buy us Xmas gifts we can easily take on the airplane with us when we go home (not too big, not breakable, not too heavy, not too expensive if case it gets lost, etc...). So most of the time we get clothes. The only things I buy myself are jeans and shirts because they are cheaper in the US. Most everything else in my closet (sweaters, pants, coats, socks and even underwear!) was a Xmas gift.

They didn't even touch on simple stuff like brown-bagging lunch to work. It's a rare event when I buy lunch at work. I can bring it from home for ~$2, or pay $7-$12+ for lunch at a restaurant or cafeteria. Over a year the difference, assuming five-day work weeks and 48 weeks, is at least $1,200 in cash after-tax money. In ten years that's $12,000 from a simple lifestyle change that "costs" about 10 minutes a day.

I'm 6'6", so finding bargain cloths is very hard. I hate buying cloths. I'll spend money on tools and other hard assets with no problem, but cloths are hard.

Shop at the consignment store for DDs cloths. Tho occasinally WallyWorld has good things cheap. She won't get more than one season out of them now since she is growing so fast. Plus I use my brothers 10% off employee discount card when I can.

My credit card earns Coldwater Creek bucks, so I use the cc for almost everything and buy my work clothes with the bucks. Once last summer (around my birthday I think) I received four $20 certificates from them over the amount I'd earned on the cc. I guess they were wishing me a happy birthday! Also, we bought an elliptical machine (a cheap one but it works) and set it up out in the garage. We both use it and its cheaper than a gym membership.

Yeah I guess I should check the garage sales for my jeans, since I don't wear jeans unless I am working in the yard or around the house. If I am going somewhere, its dockers ... from the outlet, and usually no more than $20. Flip side is that I have never had a pair of wally world jeans wear out on me, even though they are used when digging, building, landscaping, etc. I won't buy shoes there, though...I go to the outlets for those kinds of things. The point is kids usually do outgrow them before wearing them out....and when our kids were young, DW would just fix them if they got a hole or popped a seam. Today, kids (not mine) will go buy a pair of jeans that are already threadbare, deliberately pre-worn-out by a machine, so that they can look fashionable....and they will easily pay that $60 or even $100 for them. Told my kids a couple years back that if they wanted those kinds of clothes we would get them at a yard sale and sand them down if they weren't threadbare enough...

R

Back
Top Bottom