Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I believe when less is sold, the brewer must raise the price. Hops going up is a real 1st world problem!

But you are right about millenials. I partied with a bunch last Saturday, and Miller Lite was in the ice buckets.
Hopefully as I grow old and the price goes up my consumption goes down. Therefore my personal inflation rate is moderated, along with my level of satisfaction.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’ve been noticing a lot of stealth inflation at Walmart lately
Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
20 pack of Bud Light had been $14.99 across the street from w@&k for years. All of a sudden its $16.99.
If that trend starts to pertain to good IPA I'll have to go back to work!
Old 04-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Certain things you just gotta have!
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Since good IPA's start around $8 per six pack, you probably need to go back to work already
Old 04-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #26

I have seen meals at restaurants staring as lows as $4*. I have also been known to tip as much as 100%*.

I think the * means- if you can find it, or if you can remember it!

I think my boys left some softball beers** in my garage a couple years ago. Is that an appreciating asset?

**softball beers- the kind of beer that you can ice down and take to the softball game. After a hard game and a few good beers, the players will drink just about any sort of swill!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Since good IPA's start around $8 per six pack, you probably need to go back to work already
Plus, here in Oregon there's no sales tax on it! There is, however, a refundable 10 cent deposit on each bottle. I just wish redeeming the empties wasn't such a hassle around here. There are a couple machines at the local Safeway but there is always a line to use it, and that's when one of them isn't broken or in need of being emptied.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
It's not sneaky inflation, but sneaky selling that nearly got me today.

I stopped at a grocery store, that I don't often go to, but we were returning from lunch. I saw a nice big sign 99 cents / -- so I bought 3 yellow peppers and stuck them in a bag. Picked up some milk as that is why we went there and went to the cash.

The cashier takes the peppers out of the bag and charges 99 cents each ! , I asked aren't they 99 cents/lb ? So I told him I didn't want them.

On the way out the store, I double checked, and sure enough there is a big 99 Cents and a tiny /ea

I feel it was sneaky as they don't put the letters all the same size, and it was in a bin near the door like it was a special.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #29

Twenty years ago I would buy a quart of oil on sale for 69 cents. Now it is around 2.38. The price never seem to go down no matter what the price of a barrel of oil is.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #30

What happened to ice cream? Size down every three years
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Now your talkin inflation! My six pack of Miller Lite 16 oz went from $5.59 to $6.99 literally overnight. What happened to millennials and others no longer wanting the stuff? I did read about a hops shortage and hopefully this is a short term thing. Otherwise I'll have to budget an extra $6 a month to cover it.
If Miller actually used something resembling hops, I'd buy that.
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
So today I order the $4 Value Slam which is two eggs, bacon (or sausage) and two pancakes. DW orders a different item (BYO).

The bill comes, and I see that the $4 VS is now $4.49!
We eat lunch out every day, and I order either a small caesar side salad, or a cup of soup at our favorite restaurant.

About two weeks ago the cup of soup went up from $4.75 to $5.50!!! AAAGH. At least they didn't use any sneaky wording.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Now your talkin inflation! My six pack of Miller Lite 16 oz went from $5.59 to $6.99 literally overnight. What happened to millennials and others no longer wanting the stuff? I did read about a hops shortage and hopefully this is a short term thing. Otherwise I'll have to budget an extra $6 a month to cover it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
If Miller actually used something resembling hops, I'd buy that.
I didn't realize Miller Lite was $6.99/sixer (OK, 16 ounce, not 12, but still).

I still get a bit of sticker shock when I buy a craft beer for $10/$12 for a six, or maybe $10 for four 16 oz. But man, you get a lot more flavor for your buck compared to Miller Lite.

I doubt any hop shortages are affecting Miller. They contract what they need, and mainly convert it to an extract that is shelf stable. The home brewers and some craft brewers might get pinched, but AFAIK, no issues now. I have more hops and varieties available than ever before. It was a big deal a few years ago.

I'm thinking about brewing a Pseudo Sue (Toppling Goliath Brewing Company) clone - the hops alone will cost as much as most beers I brew.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23222/72170/

I'll look around, but this recipe sounds good, with 13 ounces of Citra hops!

Pseudo Sue Clone Attempt - Beer Recipe Design - Northern Brewer Forum

13.3 lb Pale 2 Row
1/2 lb Flaked Barley
1/2 lb Honey malt

1/4 oz warrior 60 mins
2 oz Citra 10 mins
2.5 oz Citra 5 mins
2 oz Citra Flameout
5 oz Citra whirlpool once under 180 degrees 20-30 mins
2 oz Citra Dry hops 3-4 days
2 oz Citra Dry hops 3-4 days

WLP007 yeast
Mash 152
90 min boil

Target OG at 75% efficiency 1.062
Target FG 1.016

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #34

Quote:
You know, there were four items at $4 but I didn't look at all of them. Next time I will though!
Examples of this: I caught the ice cream guy at the commissary flagrant delicto replacing the containers with smaller containers. No longer a half gallon.

My sugar is also now sold in a 4lb bag not 5lbs.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #35

The price was one of the many reasons I quit drinking beer. I save a lot of money by not drinking anymore. I too noticed that the cost was getting more expensive, especially Heineken which I liked. The other thing I learned is never buy anything other than gas at a gas station. The prices of everything inside is marked up big time in the mini marts that sell gasoline.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #36

Quote:
We all keep an eye on the inflation numbers from the Fed and other sources. Plus, we all know that the real inflation number to be concerned about is our “personal” inflation number...
actually i expect a lot of us don't keep an eye on inflation, certainly not as close as you do. not bashing you. far from it. but its just not that big a deal to us.
fir us beIng FI means not having to sweat the small stuff.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #37

I used to buy candy bars 3 for a dollar. Now they're over a dollar each.

2-liter Coke used to be 99 cents, now it's almost two dollars.

A quart of motor oil used to be 99 cents, now it's 5-6 dollars.

Gas was 99 cents per gallon when I started driving, now it's well over 3 dollars.

The big shocker for me was the price of roof shingles. When we built our house in 2003 I paid $800 to buy shingles for our entire roof. Ten years later in 2013 the exact same shingles cost $4000 (long story, pesky leak I couldn't track down). They're made from oil after all. Kind of scary to think what they might cost 30 years from now, plus I'll have to pay labor that I've always done for free.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I used to buy candy bars 3 for a dollar. Now they're over a dollar each.

2-liter Coke used to be 99 cents, now it's almost two dollars.

A quart of motor oil used to be 99 cents, now it's 5-6 dollars.

Gas was 99 cents per gallon when I started driving, now it's well over 3 dollars...

I used to buy candy bars for 5 cents in 1958. Being the frugal person even at 12years I chose 3 Musketeers since it was about 50% larger than most others. I haven't bought any in decades but passing them in the grocery check out line they seem to be smaller for the additional 95 cents.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I used to buy candy bars for 5 cents in 1958. Being the frugal person even at 12years I chose 3 Musketeers since it was about 50% larger than most others. I haven't bought any in decades but passing them in the grocery check out line they seem to be smaller for the additional 95 cents.

Cheers!
They came in two sizes, small for 5 cents, large for 10 cents. I don't remember how much larger the 10 cent bar was, because I could only afford the 5 cent bar.

I did not like 3 Musketeers. It was Hershey's or Milky Way where my my 5 cents went on allowance Saturday.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Toilet paper that is not as wide!
Hmm, new thread idea: "Products that are over-engineered"
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote