Join Early Retirement Today

So the Wife Went and Filled Up Her Tank......
Old 12-02-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

So the Wife Went and Filled Up Her Tank......

At a local gas station. A few miles down the road, it dies and will not re-start. Got it (2019 Ford Escape) towed to local Ford dealership. Turns out, it was filled with diesel. mmm? wife error or station error? Receipt shows regular gas (by the price charged). While the Ford is being "stripped", another vehicle is towed in. Filled with diesel, purchased at the same station, on the same day.
When approached, owner of the station is immediately defensive. Denies any responsibility ("take it up with BP corporate"). Any suggestions on how to proceed, make a claim?
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #2

A nastygram sent on the letterhead of a local attorney should get the station owner's full attention. I'd start there.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
A nastygram sent on the letterhead of a local attorney should get the station owner's full attention. I'd start there.

Or contact local TV station news.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought a diesel pump will not fit into a regular gas tank? If so, it would seem that the regular pump tanks got filled with diesel. Owner might be claiming "Corporate sends the trucks to fill the tanks, its their fault". Anyway, agree with letter with lawyer letterhead, perhaps copied to local BBB and media outlets.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

go pull samples STAT from the pumps if they have not completely pumped them out. Document. If there is even a trace of diesel left in the regular tank, it becomes a slam dunk in court.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Or contact local TV station news.
Yep, get the news out publicly and things will work out in your favor. I'm sure there will be plenty more it has happened too.

Walt34, beat me to it. Get an attorney. You have the receipt others same problem I would say they will need to answer some questions. They will have to prove they didn't make the mistake.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
At a local gas station. A few miles down the road, it dies and will not re-start. Got it (2019 Ford Escape) towed to local Ford dealership. Turns out, it was filled with diesel. mmm? wife error or station error? Receipt shows regular gas (by the price charged). While the Ford is being "stripped", another vehicle is towed in. Filled with diesel, purchased at the same station, on the same day.
When approached, owner of the station is immediately defensive. Denies any responsibility ("take it up with BP corporate"). Any suggestions on how to proceed, make a claim?
I just saw an article like this last week...had to do with dirty diesel. Maybe it was the delivery guy who put the wrong gas into the wrong tank...wonder if he put the regular gasoline into the diesel holding tank? I might call the police or local inspector to shut the station down before they kill too many more cars.

Here is the article:
https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...aminated-fuel/
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #8

Your transaction was with the station owner not the deep pocket oil company. They are responsible for the product they sell. Personal pet peeve with small business owners.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #9

The receipt from the Ford dealership specifically states "contents tested as diesel".
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I thought a diesel pump will not fit into a regular gas tank? If so, it would seem that the regular pump tanks got filled with diesel. Owner might be claiming "Corporate sends the trucks to fill the tanks, its their fault". Anyway, agree with letter with lawyer letterhead, perhaps copied to local BBB and media outlets.
Yes, my thinking too.

I did accidentally try and put in a diesel pump in a car before but the non-fit saved me from a bad surprise.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #11

Oh wow...this has been on the news lately in our state of Virginia. Gasoline pumps filled with diesel causing much angst. You might consider googling which states.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...ds-in-repairs/
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's BS, the station owner/management is responsible if you got diesel from their reg gas pump... If it's a big brand name station (not a reseller) you shouldn't have any problems getting a fair settlement. If the station isn't cooperating, call customer services of the company. Still no luck, get a lawyer. Keep all receipts.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
The receipt from the Ford dealership specifically states "contents tested as diesel".
Your receipt from the gas station (not the Ford dealership) is your proof. That indicates the in-ground tanks were incorrectly filled with diesel. And while BP corporate may in fact end up paying for all this, your transaction was with the station owner so it's his responsibility.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #14

Quote:
as above it would be nice to have the same thing on a separate gas purchase (into a can) from the same pump
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #15

We just had a similar issue here.... Several dozen bikes and cars sitting on the side of the road within a mile of a gas station... every one had just gotten fuel at the same place..
Water....
Old 12-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

A similar thing happened at a brand new station near us, but with water in the UST. The operators were very quick to shut the impacted pumps down and the parent company/brand took full responsibility immediately. By the time the owner has heard about your issue from more than one or two people, he'll change his tune if he has any brains.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I drove a diesel Sprinter van for work a few years ago and always filled up in the regular car fill-up area and the diesel nozzle was the same size as the regular gas one. The pump used for semis is larger but not for regular diesel vehicles.
I only buy diesel for my tractors but the nozzles sure looks bigger to me. And I'm buying at the car fill-up pump area.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I only buy diesel for my tractors but the nozzles sure looks bigger to me.
Yeah, I've filled more than my share of 5 gal cans with diesel and the nozzle is always bigger. ( Keepng a CAT D6 running). If not, this would be a much more common occurrence.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
go pull samples STAT from the pumps if they have not completely pumped them out. Document. If there is even a trace of diesel left in the regular tank, it becomes a slam dunk in court.
Yes, get a sample (from the same pump if possible). If it contaminated with diesel, and the receipt says gasoline, you'll have additional evidence. A time/dated photo of the sample container being filled would help.

How you pursue further action is up to you of course.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Document and file a small claims action. I would not waste time contacting the BBB - they are worthless. I would not hire an attorney. You can consult with one, but they are going to want a retainer -$2500 or a large settlement which this one likely will not produce unless it becomes a class action.
Word of warning, if you contact the media and you are proven wrong for some reason, the station owner can sue you for slander and libel. Doesn’t mean he will win, but if you drive business away from the station, he has damages.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote