Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As you may notice, I did not utter the dreaded "W" word in this post (as I did back in 2007), so maybe this time it will keep going up, and up, and up! How's your portfolio doing?

My new Tesla Model X is getting more and more paid for - so I'm not complaining. And I guess the W-word is the one I make when I push the acceerator in my car?
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with the rest that say good and happy with the market. However after taking the longer term perspective, the recent quarter and the preceding quarter are just part of the larger overall market returns. I do admit the past 5 years has been a nice runup, no complaints there.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My new Tesla Model X is getting more and more paid for - so I'm not complaining. And I guess the W-word is the one I make when I push the acceerator in my car?
That's it!

I really should go buy that new Highlander that I have been thinking about. I really don't need a new car so I keep procrastinating. Plus, there are several other models of SUV that seem pretty wonderful, too.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Dow Leader retires at the top of hs game.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/02/davi...-retiring.html
Interesting fellow. Also responsible for choosing SP index funds. Based on his books, listed below, sounds like his investing philosophy matches well with many of us: (from Wiki)

Blitzer is the author of Outpacing the Pros: Using Indices to Beat Wall Street’s Savviest Money Managers, (McGraw-Hill, 2001) and What’s the Economy Trying to Tell You? Everyone’s Guide to Understanding and Profiting from the Economy, (McGraw-Hill, 1997).
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Dear lawd!20190402_115641.jpeg

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread doesn't count as a jinx without that snail on a turtle graphic (or whatever it was).
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #47

Quote:
That's it!

I really should go buy that new Highlander that I have been thinking about. I really don't need a new car so I keep procrastinating. Plus, there are several other models of SUV that seem pretty wonderful, too.

I've been wanting a Dodge Charger for years now, but kept procrastinating. But, today I started smelling a slight hint of antifreeze, in my 2003 Regal. It goes in the shop on Wednesday. Hate to say it, but there's a part of me that's hoping for some major repair, to FORCE me to ditch it, and upgrade.

Of course, the moment I do that, the market will crash and I'll whine about buying a new car at the wrong time!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Of course, the moment I do that, the market will crash and I'll whine about buying a new car at the wrong time!
If you take money out, and then the market crashes, doesn't that make you a genius?
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
1987 - Down 22% in one day! I was in the market!
I remember exactly where I was that day. And the panic. TG for DH. He said "time to buy more."

We have 2 more years to sit back, watch and wait. Leaving portfolio alone until then.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
If you take money out, and then the market crashes, doesn't that make you a genius?

I hadn't thought of it like that. Yeah, I guess if I put a big down payment on it, or paid cash, and the market crashed right after, I'd count myself lucky.

But, what's probably going to happen, is that if I pay cash for something major like that, the market will then skyrocket. If I finance, the market will drop, so I can whine about the monthly payments all the way down...
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I just sold 6 covered call contracts on various shares I own.

If the market goes up again, I will sell more, and at higher strike prices.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Just the way I look at it. What I mean is that the year/economy/market was going along quite well until October. Then the Fed made statements and the market tumbled, in my view, needlessly. I don't see the Oct/Dec drop as a real reflection of the market's/economy's health or potential, just an artificial downdraft caused by some poorly timed statements.

Had the Fed made those comments in April of '18 we'd have had time to recover, as evidenced by our current surge/compensation.

Again, YMMV. Just my personal perspective.
Got it. So you blame the Fed's statements. And that's "artificial".
Interesting. Thanks.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Might buy an Apple Watch.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Wh....

Wh......

Wh.........

No, I can't say it. Not until I've decided to drop my AA to 40/60 or less.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Exactly!!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I've been wanting a Dodge Charger for years now, but kept procrastinating. But, today I started smelling a slight hint of antifreeze, in my 2003 Regal. It goes in the shop on Wednesday. Hate to say it, but there's a part of me that's hoping for some major repair, to FORCE me to ditch it, and upgrade.

I found myself staring longingly at the Toyota dealership as we drove by today. You know, the one where they have about a billion shiny, brand new Highlanders parked, waiting to go on a test drive....

But you know, this is stupid. I don't even need a new SUV in the first place, and also six months ago I thought I wanted a Murano.

Instead of going on a test drive, I went and got a safety inspection sticker for my Venza (they call them "brake tags" here). The one I had would be expired before the end of the month.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

If this is going to be your last car why a highlander ? I would buy the Toyota Supra that I drooled over in my younger years and drive it for a year or two before I bought a sensible car .https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehi...4KXg&gclsrc=ds
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #58

Made me look. The IRA at Vanguard is at an all-time high right now. DW wants recessed lighting in the kitchen. So maybe we should spend some money on nonessential stuff. Better that than have it all pass to heirs.

And it will make DW smile. That is never a bad thing.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And it will make DW smile. That is never a bad thing.
"Happy wife, happy life." Isn't that what they say?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I found myself staring longingly at the Toyota dealership as we drove by today. You know, the one where they have about a billion shiny, brand new Highlanders parked, waiting to go on a test drive....

But you know, this is stupid. I don't even need a new SUV in the first place, and also six months ago I thought I wanted a Murano.

Instead of going on a test drive, I went and got a safety inspection sticker for my Venza (they call them "brake tags" here). The one I had would be expired before the end of the month.
A solution that works for me is when I feel really flush I buy some modestly costly thing that satisfies the urge to splurge. Or I take DW out for a dinner. Anything to satisfy that emotion.

For me it might be an Apple 4 watch as our son got me a Fitbit Versa (for a gift) but the band fell off after 2 days and cannot get it back on. So I could return the Fitbit and trade up to the Apple for a modest amount.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote