Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security and Medicare Timing
Old 08-31-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security and Medicare Timing

My DW will turn 65 next April and will quit her j*b in March. Employer health benefits will last through March and she will begin Medicare on April 1st. She would like to start SS sometime around April too, but can be flexible. Since Medicare part B premiums are taken from SS, will there be a problem in starting them both in the same month? I assume when she signs up for Medicare in January (to begin in April), she will need to pay the first quarter part B premiums, right? Will the payment methods get messed up by either SS or Medicare?

Other than SS dollars increasing on a monthly basis, is there any benefit/penalty in taking SS before or after her 65th birthday month?

Just trying to make all of the transitions as easy as possible.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Might be worth your time to put both your information into https://opensocialsecurity.com/ and digest what it suggests.
SevenUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
Might be worth your time to put both your information into https://opensocialsecurity.com/ and digest what it suggests.
I've done that and have the proper strategy - my DW takes SS at 65 and I wait until 70. I'm just questioning the issue of how to pay part B premiums.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You could start both SSB and Medicare at the same time for starting 65 with reduced SSB. You don't need to pay Part B as it is the default for applying both together (will be deducted from SSB). You can actually start the app 4 months before as it is allowed for SSB/Medicare app, which is probably recommended as SSA local office still operates as appointment only mode. You could also delay your Medicare app for upto 3 months without penalty, but you have to figure out how to cover the gap...
xlf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
My DW will turn 65 next April and will quit her j*b in March. Employer health benefits will last through March and she will begin Medicare on April 1st. She would like to start SS sometime around April too, but can be flexible. Since Medicare part B premiums are taken from SS, will there be a problem in starting them both in the same month? I assume when she signs up for Medicare in January (to begin in April), she will need to pay the first quarter part B premiums, right? Will the payment methods get messed up by either SS or Medicare?

Other than SS dollars increasing on a monthly basis, is there any benefit/penalty in taking SS before or after her 65th birthday month?

Just trying to make all of the transitions as easy as possible.

I signed up for SS in June of 2021, with first payment in July 2021, and started Medicare on August 1, 2021. My July payment only had taxes withheld. My August check also had Medicare withheld.
DW hadn’t started SS yet, so we have hers automatically withdrawn from our checking. Everything went flawlessly.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If you decide to way on claiming the SS benefit, the medicare part B is easily paid once a month by sending them a check or, as we do, using an automatic bill pay system.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

No problem starting medicare and SS the same month. The first two medicare monthly premiums will be withheld from the first SS payment (since medicare is paid in advance). That was how it worked for me when I applied for both to start at age 65.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote