Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security and minor children
Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Social Security and minor children

I've read until I'm blue in the face but can't find a clear answer:

I've been on Social Security for five years; my son is turning 18 in April.
Will my payment be increased by the amount he's been receiving when he is no longer eligible? I know his eligibility can be extended until he graduates from HS in June. (No unusual circumstances here; a happily married couple w/ a son).

Everything I receive (and more) is going to funding his college education anyway, so the question is whether it's worth the hassle of filling out forms to have his account receive the money directly.

My impression is that the payment to minor children is over and above what I receive -- so we should submit the papers -- but a friend told me otherwise. And his payment increased when my daughter became 18.

Hope someone can clarify this.

Skip
skipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why don't you call the SSA or go into the local office and ask? Your case may be unique to you and answers you get here, or any other non SSA forum, may be worthless. The phone number or office location is available at Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Always good advice

I appreciate your good thoughts and good advice.

But there's nothing unique in our situation. This is just a simple question -- and I prefer spending a couple minutes posting to a long wait on the phone or a trip to the SS Office.
skipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry, I can't help at all, but I have my own question.

Under what circumstances do minor children get social security? I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipl View Post

But there's nothing unique in our situation. This is just a simple question -- and I prefer spending a couple minutes posting to a long wait on the phone or a trip to the SS Office.
I doubt you will find your answer here my friend. The SS payments members on here know about are the ones that vest at 59.5
landonew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipl View Post

Middle of the week, middle of the month, you can usually get through to the SSA national phone number OR the local office - no need to go the office most of the time.

I will venture a guess to your question: No! Also, why would someone's (you say a friend) payment increase when YOUR daughter became 18?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Sorry, I can't help at all, but I have my own question.

Under what circumstances do minor children get social security? I've never heard of such a thing.
Benefits For Children

I too was surprised when I first heard about this.

skipl: I haven't seen the form mentioned here but it doesn't sound like that much of a hassle for the benefits gained.
Have you called SS? Some places these days have this feature where you can have them call you back so you're not tied to the phone.......very convenient if you're going to be at home anyway.........don't recall whether SS can do that.

If your child is a student
Three months before your child's 18th birthday, we will send you a notice that benefits will end at age 18 unless your child is a full-time student at a secondary ( or elementary) school. If your child is younger than 19 and still attending a secondary or elementary school, he or she must notify us by completing a statement of attendance that has been certified by a school official. The benefits then will usually continue until he or she graduates, or until two months after reaching age 19, whichever comes first.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your benefits will not increase when your child is no longer eligible. There is a limit on how much can be paid in family benefits so if you have a number of children their benefits may decrease as the number of kids increase. However, your own benefit will not change because you have kids or don't have kids.

See my signature.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonew View Post
I doubt you will find your answer here my friend. The SS payments members on here know about are the ones that vest at 59.5
There are plenty here who collect or plan to collect SS.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote