Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Benefits Could Get Their Biggest Boost in 40 Years.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security Benefits Could Get Their Biggest Boost in 40 Years.

Quote:
Now a report from The Senior Citizens League predicts another bump is coming in 2023 that could raise benefits by 8.6%, the biggest increase since 1981.

Impacting roughly 70 million Americans, this year's increase raised the average benefit for a retired worker to $1,658 per month, according to the Social Security Administration.

If the prediction by TSCL, which advocates for older Americans, is accurate, beneficiaries could see another increase of about $143 a month in 2023, bringing their check to approximately $1,800.
https://www.cnet.com/personal-financ...you-might-get/

Seems kind of early to be predicting this but I thought it might be of interest.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

We're more than half way thru the calculation period (3rd Quarter of 2021 -- 3rd Quarter of 2022) and the inflation trend is not moderating much, if at all.
azxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, but will the increase be enough to fill up my F-150's 36 gallon tank at $6 per gallon for regular?
TheWizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It's probably trivial and easy enough to figure out, but I'm sleepy (and dopey) since it's almost bedtime.

Wondering if the inflation adjustment effects the payback period between taking early vs. waiting until 70. With high inflation, in one case I'm getting 8.5% of $4000 vs 8.5% of $2000 (for sake of easy discussion). Of course that interest then compounds, so does "the wait until 70" pull ahead over time compared to "take it early"?
Old 05-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHawk View Post
It's probably trivial and easy enough to figure out, but I'm sleepy (and dopey) since it's almost bedtime.

Wondering if the inflation adjustment effects the payback period between taking early vs. waiting until 70. With high inflation, in one case I'm getting 8.5% of $4000 vs 8.5% of $2000 (for sake of easy discussion). Of course that interest then compounds, so does "the wait until 70" pull ahead over time compared to "take it early"?
The percentage increase due to inflation applies to your current benefit amount, no matter when it was taken...
Old 05-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The percentage increase is compounded. So over 15-20 years it can really add up.
IMHO, if you can do it, taking SS at 70 is a great way to insure against portfolio failure and/or excess longevity.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
Ok, but will the increase be enough to fill up my F-150's 36 gallon tank at $6 per gallon for regular?
I recently got a "truckette", a Ford Maverick Hybrid. I've been averaging 42 MPG so far.

As a result, my F150 isn't being used as much.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
https://www.cnet.com/personal-financ...you-might-get/

Seems kind of early to be predicting this but I thought it might be of interest.

It is always fun looking forward to more money. I have my expense optimization lists made out now with ideas to try to lower our personal inflation rate this year. If we can get more from AA next year and have lower expenses, that works for me.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #9

Will an increase like this mean that the SS haircut happens even sooner, and/or will be even larger?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxracer View Post
We're more than half way thru the calculation period (3rd Quarter of 2021 -- 3rd Quarter of 2022) and the inflation trend is not moderating much, if at all.
It will be based upon the third quarter of this year compared to the third quarter of last year. Potentially it could significantly decrease before then. I suspect it will decrease from what it is now but I imagine there will be a substantial increase for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Will an increase like this mean that the SS haircut happens even sooner, and/or will be even larger?
You are making an assumption that there will be one. Is it possible? Sure. Do I think it is very likely? Unknown. There are many, many other options that would obviate such an action.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:19 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The percentage increase is compounded. So over 15-20 years it can really add up.
IMHO, if you can do it, taking SS at 70 is a great way to insure against portfolio failure and/or excess longevity.
That was my thought as well. Not sure if it would make a big difference, but there is detailed analysis on this topic and it never seems to include any inflation scenarios.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:36 AM   #12

Quote:
I am currently in the window, and thinking the same thing.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:20 AM   #13

The related question is, what will the Medicare Part B increase be, and how much will it impact the SS increase?

Remember, for 2022 SS went up 5.9%... but Medicare Part B went up 14.5%. Just remember, if on Medicare, to look at the net.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #14

Do/can they reduce the payment amount if inflation goes down?
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper;
The related question is, what will the Medicare Part B increase be, and how much will it impact the SS increase?

Remember, for 2022 SS went up 5.9%... but Medicare Part B went up 14.5%. Just remember, if on Medicare, to look at the net.

Remember the large increase was because of the expectation that new Alzheimerís drug would be approved by Medicare. Since itís not fully approved, the next increase will hopefully not be as high. Call me an optimist.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
Do/can they reduce the payment amount if inflation goes down?
No.
But they keep track of CPI-W across the ups and infrequent downs.
So the next increase will be offset by the CPI-W recovery, if that makes sense...
Old 05-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
It will be based upon the third quarter of this year compared to the third quarter of last year. Potentially it could significantly decrease before then. I suspect it will decrease from what it is now but I imagine there will be a substantial increase for next year.....

If we had zero inflation between now and the end of September, the Social Security COLA increase for 2023 would be 6.0%.

CPI-W average 3Q 2021 = 268.421

CPI-W as of April 2022 = 284.575

SS increase for 2023 = CPI-W average 3Q 2022/CPI-W average 3Q 2021

Assuming zero increase from May through September 2022=> 284.575/268.421 = 1.06

Theoretically, we could see deflation between now and the end of September, but that seems unlikely, so I think it is safe to say the COLA increase will be at least 6%. If inflation averaged 5% (year over year) from now to the end of September, the COLA would be 7.8%

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10526.pdf
Old 05-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If we had zero inflation between now and the end of September, the Social Security COLA increase for 2023 would be 6.0%.
I would gladly give up any and all of a SS increase to see low or zero percent inflation.

One more point on when to take SS. If you start at 62, after a period of time you are locked in to that decision. If you delay taking SS, you can always turn it on later, at 63, or 65 and 4 months, or 67 and two months. It's not a binary choice. There are at least 95 more points in the future where you can change your mind and start taking SS.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're not yet 62, this has no impact on your expected benefit, right?
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
If you're not yet 62, this has no impact on your expected benefit, right?
Wrong.
Your expected benefits will increase by similar amounts...