Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Cap?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Social Security Cap?

Is there a cap on how much Social Security Income you can receive back monthly when you are 62 or older when you take it? For example: Someone worked more than 35 years and maxed out how much was paid in each of those 35 years?

I have a friend who says he will get $2200. in SS benefits at 62? Is that possible?
Worried in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. There is a monthly/annual and household max based on dependants. Check at the SS website. I know I won't be getting that much, but I quit contributing at 50 and that is ok with me.

Also, the SS calculator factors in COLA. How old is your friend?
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is a SS cap, according to 2008 Social Security Changes: Press Office, of $2,185 per month (2008 figure).

For a decent explanation of how a benefit is figured, see Social Security Statement: How Your Benefit Is Figured

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

There is no direct cap on retiree benefits. However, since the income on which SS tax and upon which benefits is capped, their is an indirect cap.

The $2185 is for a retiree at normal retirement age (about 66 for those retiring now) who has earned the maximum taxable income for 35 years.

Someone retiring at 62 will get a reduced benefit (by a factor of 25%). So no way is an individual retiring at 62 going to get a $2200 benefit.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The quick calculator on the Social Security page shows me getting $2485 in inflated dollars at age 62. I am 50 now. Todays dollars $1619 I'm sure it presumes I will work every year till then.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringMyFinances View Post
There is no direct cap on retiree benefits. However, since the income on which SS tax and upon which benefits is capped, their is an indirect cap.

The $2185 is for a retiree at normal retirement age (about 66 for those retiring now) who has earned the maximum taxable income for 35 years.

Someone retiring at 62 will get a reduced benefit (by a factor of 25%). So no way is an individual retiring at 62 going to get a $2200 benefit.
I thought the income cap had on SS had only been around since 1994 (?), so someone who had work history before that could exceed the $2185 number. I don't really know, though.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
social security