Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Decision
Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security Decision

I've been using various SS Optimization tools and have decided that the strategy we will use for me and my wife is for her (lower lifetime earnings) to claim at age 62 and for me to claim at FRA (66 & 4 mos). The tools showed me that the highest lifetime income strategy is for her to claim at age 65 and for me to wait until age 70, but the difference over approx. 28 years (longevity estimate) is $48,000. Given the vagaries of time, health and Government idiocy, I can't see waiting that long.

Am I crazy?
Retiredmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And they’re off!!!

Just kidding major, sounds like you’ve researched adequately and made a decision. About all any of us can do.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #3

I wonder if there are more threads on this topic or on "Should I have an umbrella policy"?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredmajor View Post
I've been using various SS Optimization tools and have decided that the strategy we will use for me and my wife is for her (lower lifetime earnings) to claim at age 62 and for me to claim at FRA (66 & 4 mos). The tools showed me that the highest lifetime income strategy is for her to claim at age 65 and for me to wait until age 70, but the difference over approx. 28 years (longevity estimate) is $48,000. Given the vagaries of time, health and Government idiocy, I can't see waiting that long.

Am I crazy?
Nope. Optimal or best claiming strategy is dependent on lots of variables, including your opinions on life expectancy, rates of return, government cutbacks, etc.

You've thought about it, done some math, and made a call. I think you're ahead of 80% of the population.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - you may be ahead of 80% of the population, but you are wrong....

....Just kidding, you won't know you are wrong until 28 years from now, then you will say, Wish I had waited, where's the marshmallow. ??

Seriously, what you have done is what I need to do, time to figure this thing out. I might start a thread
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - Did you pay to use a tool ?
A list of which tools you used would be helpful for others.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #7

I used the OP's strategy. My late wife claimed at 62, and I claimed at FRA.

She passed away at 68, so we got 6 years of her SS.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

OP- DO you have Long term insurance or can you self insure if one of you is in a nursing home for a number of years? If not, you may want to consider waiting until 70 to maximize income for the survivor.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

If you scroll thru this and get to page 11, it might help you decide on what might be best for your situation. Just another tool. It's all a crap shoot, but every year you wait beyond FRA, your SS check goes up by around 8%. I'm not expecting my investment returns to be quite that high ..... hopefully, but ....

https://jpmorgansmartretirement.com/...455_JP-GTR.pdf
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/delayret.html
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
the difference over approx. 28 years (longevity estimate) is $48,000. Given the vagaries of time, health and Government idiocy, I can't see waiting that long.

Am I crazy?
As long as you understand you are leaving an estimated $48,000 on the table and are fine with that, then No - you aren't crazy.

We all get to make our own informed decisions. They don't have to all be optimal.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 AM   #12

Just for grins, did you put both scenarios into FIRECalc and look at the difference?
Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #13

48K over 28 years is nothing to me. . . YMMV. You really never know what is the right thing since you can't predict the future.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck5 View Post
This is a link about Delayed Retirement Credits.

"Social Security retirement benefits are increased by a certain percentage (depending on date of birth) if you delay your retirement beyond full retirement age."

Simple to understand, and you can compute a table that is tailored to your specific year.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey folks....thanks for weighing in. I'll try to address the questions asked: I didn't pay for a tool. I used 2 free tools OPENSOCIALSECURITY and the one from FINANCIAL ENGINES. I'm aware there are some tools I can pay for and I might try one, just because I over think most things!.

We do not have Long Term Care Insurance but I'm looking into it. I do have substantial Life Insurance on me, the higher earner. Given our financial situation, my wife would be in great shape should I pass on before her.

I have used Firecalc with MANY variations, including taking SS at every point from age 62 -70. Every output has us at 100% with variations in how large our estate would be at the end. But every variation has us solid at 100%. I love Firecalc!

And here's the other thing, I can choose to wait past my FRA if I want when that time comes. My plan isn't etched in stone. Obviously, she'll have started her SS, but I can wait if I want.

Eventually, our combined SS plus my pension will cover 100% of our expenses, leaving our nest egg for travel, fun and helping our kids.

Major
Retiredmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

"Eventually, our combined SS plus my pension will cover 100% of our expenses, leaving our nest egg for travel, fun and helping our kids."

Work out a plan for LTC, not that you have to buy any, just ensure that there will be money available, if needed.

When you've "won the game", is there really any need to worry about playing another inning?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Hey folks....thanks for weighing in. I'll try to address the questions asked: I didn't pay for a tool. I used 2 free tools OPENSOCIALSECURITY and the one from FINANCIAL ENGINES. I'm aware there are some tools I can pay for and I might try one, just because I over think most things!.

We do not have Long Term Care Insurance but I'm looking into it. I do have substantial Life Insurance on me, the higher earner. Given our financial situation, my wife would be in great shape should I pass on before her.

I have used Firecalc with MANY variations, including taking SS at every point from age 62 -70. Every output has us at 100% with variations in how large our estate would be at the end. But every variation has us solid at 100%. I love Firecalc!

And here's the other thing, I can choose to wait past my FRA if I want when that time comes. My plan isn't etched in stone. Obviously, she'll have started her SS, but I can wait if I want.

Eventually, our combined SS plus my pension will cover 100% of our expenses, leaving our nest egg for travel, fun and helping our kids.

Major

I've used both of those and found the Financial Engines version to be a bit flaky. First time the numbers were just flat wrong and I left feedback to the FE end-of-session survey saying the same, which earned me an invite to a conversation with an FE rep. Latest attempt at it is "better", numbers are closer but their simple rounding throws numbers way off over 20+ years of compounding (which would make your 48K difference even smaller).
Opensocialsecurity gets a little fancy with applying a statistical probability of death at each iteration based on which life expectancy table you chose, but its numbers make more sense (and show more detail) than FE does.
I see creating a when-to-take SS spreadsheet is in my future...
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #18

I ran the numbers also and the wife is starting to collect this month, age 62, and I'll wait until at least FRA. I had the larger income so it makes sense for me to wait. Longevity doesn't run in her family but you never know.
jfn111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are doing something similar. Wife claimed at 62, her earnings are a bit more than half of mine. I plan on claiming at 70. This gives me a few more years for doing ROTH conversions. If I decide to claim earlier, that is still available. The crossover point for her claiming breakeven, is around 83(?) which happens to be the average mortality age for men aged 62. (If I remember correctly) So, my delaying is longevity insurance for her, as she will receive the larger benefit that I have when I pass. If we both live past 83, I am OK with that!

There are very few wrong answers with SS claiming strategies, but there are also some very strong opinions.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It appears the most common SS strategy employed is the lower earning spouse taking it at 62 and the higher one at 70.
Everything else is up for grabs.