Social Security Disability

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
BIL is 68 and was planning to retire within a year. He had said it would be tight but he thought he could swing it. He had a mild stroke last month and is going through rehab now. He’s single and a wreck emotionally but expected to make a full recovery. We’re all thinking he should retire NOW and not go back to work. A family member said he should apply for SS disability now while he is in rehab. My initial research suggests that he does not qualify for SS disability because he is already beyond FRA. How does this work? Thanks.

I hesitate to say this since regulations change, but that is exactly the way it used to be and probably still is.

A person that is receiving social security disability automatically goes to unreduced retirement benefits at full retirement age.

I give well wishes to your bil.

I’m not sure about all the qualifications for SSD but I do know that mine was the same as my FRA (I’m 62). So, if he’s 68, it seems like he would get more just by going on regular SS. Nothing to qualify for with that and he’s over FRA.

I hesitate to say this since regulations change, but that is exactly the way it used to be and probably still is.

A person that is receiving social security disability automatically goes to unreduced retirement benefits at full retirement age.

I give well wishes to your bil.
+1
It still is.

Best wishes for a good recovery to your BIL's health.

I think your interpretation of the rules is correct. Best of luck to a speed recovery for your BIL.

JDARNELL

OP, my brother had a life threatening and life altering stoke 6 years ago. He has no one else in his life but me and DW. Even his long time GF died on him. He is severely disabled.

I've learned a lot about strokes, rehab, benefits, SNFs, guardianships, etc. More than I ever wanted to know. Been through all the horror stories.

PM me if I can help in anyway.

Other posters are correct about SS disability and FRA. He's already at the max.

Last edited:
Just curious, Can one get both Disability and FRA or just the FRA?

If you're suddenly disabled, you can get your FRA level benefit regardless of age.

That's the disability benefit: getting the FRA level at any age. If you're over FRA age, there's no advantage bc it's the same thing.

Just curious, Can one get both Disability and FRA or just the FRA?

One or the other,
and really Disability (I believe) is simply a way for people under the age of FRA to get the FRA amount.

A method gov't has so person is not punished for becoming disabled by having to wait to claim at age 62 or forced to take earlier than FRA.

<edit> posted same time as Marko ..

Thanks to all. The system seems pretty fair. I am confident BIL will recover and have a good quality of life. Being single he is freaking out and leaning on DW for emotional support. It’s really really tough being sick without a partner. It’s a big family but several individuals have health issues right now. Fortunately I likely won’t be expected to do much. I am willing but not a volunteer….counting my blessings.

Back
Top Bottom