Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security File & Suspend
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Social Security File & Suspend

I always hear this talked about on the radio, but never paid too much attention to it since I'm single and didn't see the benefit. If this article is accurate, then it seems like a good option in the event of failing health after FRA but before age 70.

Social Security loophole’s huge windfall opportunity - MarketWatch
Nunyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for sharing the article. Never thought about the use for unmarried individuals, but it sounds like it opens up some flexibility in a person's retirement plan.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

However, the Obama 2015 budget does away with file and suspend. So far this idea has not gained traction.
Brooks Saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

By the time many of us get to claim SS, new laws may be in place and that may change the game quite a bit. But till then, people on the threshold of SS will find the following article from Black Rock helpful. I found that the strategy for "Married Couple - Intermediate Difference in Benefits" would work for me. But that is still a few years away, so my reading on this subject may be for naught.

http://www.blackrock.com/investing/l...ager-va-us.pdf

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Saddle View Post
However, the Obama 2015 budget does away with file and suspend. So far this idea has not gained traction.
I think the chances of Congress ending File and Suspend would be quite small, at least in the near term.

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote