Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I am 60 1/2 and have always planned on taking it at 62. I won't "make any money" on waiting till I'm 80. Like they say, there are no guarantees. If I live to 85 or 90 I doubt I'll be griping about "OH crap, man! If I had waited till 70 I'd have x thousand extra dollars now!" Then die the next day.
+1 I also "took the money and ran" at 62. Get grandfathered-in a much as possible against ch-ch-ch-changes.

Plus there's that 2034 thing that folks here were sweating about last week.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

When they last fixed SS in the 1980s, it was with a combination of increasing payroll taxes, raising the retirement age for younger people, and making SS benefits partially taxable for some recipients. But everybody on this thread seems to assume that the next time around, the fix will simply be a big across-the-board cut. What am I missing? How is it different this time?
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

We have much less confidence in the ability of Congress to actually do something today than we would have in the 1980s. If they do nothing, then the inflow will be ~25% less than promised benefits and benefits will be reduced.... most likely across-the-board to all beneficiaries.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

^ +1. And it's an easy metric to prepare for a "worst case" that is reasonably possible.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

What if the new tax plan included a repeal of the tax on SS benefits? Now that might change some opinions both on electing at 62, and the repeal of medical itemization. So much CAN change, including future benefit rules, so take what you can, if you are able!

Even though our taxed benefits are dipping 85% in the current 28% bracket, it feels right to get what you earned. Who knew the benefit for itemizing home ownership costs would possibly become so worthless.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
This. Times 10. Far better to delay taking SS early ( as long as you don't really need it) than taking it early only to find that you live a long life and are in danger of running out of money. Better to leave money on the table than be broke at age 90. Some may argue that by taking SS early, one's portfolio can continue to grow. But what if you DO take SS early and at the same time we have a devastating long term bear market. Then your portfolio takes a huge hit AND you have a smaller SS benefit.
Your SS is a guaranteed annuity from Uncle SAm. Sure....they may cut benefits, delay COLA's , etc. but for most of us at or near retirement age SS will always be there.
It is possible to take SS at 62 and leave enough buffer to not have to worry about running out of money. I don't see that the options are mutually exclusive unless the retirement plan doesn't have much padding or margin for error.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It is possible to take SS at 62 and leave enough buffer to not have to worry about running out of money. I don't see that the options are mutually exclusive unless the retirement plan doesn't have much padding or margin for error.
Sure, getting 1800/month, for example, by taking at 62 may be enough to not worry, but 3000/month taking at 70 is usually better longevity insurance, don't you think? It could mean the difference between flying first class on vacation vs. coach. You're not running out of money either way, but first class sounds more comfortable, especially at old age.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the things you might consider is the applicability of the longevity calculator used. IMHO, the best are flexible calculators that take into consideration a number of important parameters. Abaris has a calculator that gives me a life expectancy of 93 or 94 (depending on whether or not I include the 3 months I smoked as a teenager.) That's a lot higher than what I'd get from SS which lumps me in with the entire population. Now they may be wanting to sell annuities but their methodology seems sound. That makes delaying SS much more attractive for me.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
62-70....Iíve decided to take it at 66, King Solomon would be proud.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #110
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
85 year old Dad just complained last week that he's sorry he took his at 62 instead of waiting.
That's interesting.

Virtually everyone makes a decision (early, FRA, late) and is happy with whatever decision they have made.

This is the first time I've heard of someone being unhappy. Ever.

Has he said what his reasoning was in starting at 62? And why he feels unhappy about that now?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #111
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
When they last fixed SS in the 1980s, it was with a combination of increasing payroll taxes, raising the retirement age for younger people, and making SS benefits partially taxable for some recipients. But everybody on this thread seems to assume that the next time around, the fix will simply be a big across-the-board cut. What am I missing? How is it different this time?
I don't think folks are predicting that's what will happen with "the fix".

Instead, they are predicting what will happen if there is no fix. In 2034 there will be across-the-board cuts for all SS recipients - unless legislation is enacted to "fix" it.

I'm betting that there will indeed be a fix before then.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

The government kind of expects me to take my SS at 62 because that's when they cut my FERS supplement off that I get for retiring early as a Fed LEO. So, I guess that's what I'll do.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I don't think folks are predicting that's what will happen with "the fix".

Instead, they are predicting what will happen if there is no fix. In 2034 there will be across-the-board cuts for all SS recipients - unless legislation is enacted to "fix" it.

I'm betting that there will indeed be a fix before then.
Yes indeed. Things get fixed and there are many future issues to worry about. I'm guessing there is much pressure to extend the system for a generation or more. Extending things makes humans feel comfortable.

Seriously, in 2042 there's a huge issue with most major computer systems. Much bigger than Y2K! The TOD clock expires. Let's focus. 😂
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok mine and DH SS benefits are equal. He's 64, I'm 63. I've decided to start mine next year. He can get spousal on mine at FRA as his birthdate was 10 days before the cutoff. His will grow til 70. That gives us the best of both worlds unless we both live over 90. I've run the numbers with using the bridge strategy and looks like we are good either way. Only problem I have is that filing for SS will make me feel old and I'm not!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #115

My wife will take hers at age 62. That will save us about $5000 per year in self employment taxes. (Once you are drawing SS, income from CRP contracts is no longer earned income, therefore no SE tax on the payments.) I plan to take mine at age 70, so as to increase the survivor benefit for her. But the option is still open for me to take it earlier if situations change.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I agree it's extremely unlikely for them to say "You've been collecting, so you'll keep getting the same amount, but this other person chose to delay, so we'll cut their benefit 25% (or more)".

But that's exactly what they have done with Medicare premiums.
With the Hold Harmless law, if you are collecting SS, your medicare premium is capped and your net (SS minus medicare) will not be decreased.

But if you are not collecting SS, your medicare premium is not capped.

This is effectively the same thing as what you deem unlikely.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetodream View Post
If a person starts SS @ age 62, I find it hard to believe a law change would further reduce said amounts for those who are already receiving SS payments.
Yes! This is actually the point of my starting this thread. Up to now there haven't been changes for a long time. My fear is that politics have fundamentally changed and now there may be changes to SS. I have no idea what those changes will be. I just think that taking the risk of applying now preferentially (maybe) protects me from all or some of those changes by already being in the system.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Probably true, but based on history changes will be based on your age, regardless of starting benefits or not. I don't know where this idea comes from that starting benefits at 62 is more likely to preserve your benefits than a 62-year-old that hasn't started collecting.
It is true that past discussion about changes in SS benefits have focused on age. I remember proposals that would exempt those 55 and older. The question I proposed and worry about (a little) is has politics has fundamentally changed? Would any changes to SS now be applied differently. Consider attempts to repeal the ACA. Members of Congress seem to be very willing to vote to take away health care benefits and protections that people already have. Has the politics of not taking away benefits changed? And will that extend to any changes to SS if they come?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
IMO, this is a conservative way to increase your retirement spending. Let's take and example of 62 yo a retiree with $1 million saved and SS of $25k a year at their FRA of 66.

If they take SS at 62 and use a conservative 3.5% WR, then their inflation-adjusted spending can be $53,750 ($35,000 from portfolio and $25,000*75% or $18,750 from SS).

Alternatively, they carve out 8 years worth of age 70 benefits into a separate fund of $264,000 to provide $33,000 a year for ages 62-70 since their age 70 SS benefit will be $33,000 ($25,000 * (1+(8%*4))). They have $736k left and at a 3.5% WR that is $25,760... add the $33,000 and the total is $58,760.

So with some minimal financial engineering they have increased their retirement spending by 9.3%!

(I'm assuming that the $264k side fund earns the inflation rate so the $33,000 a year can be increased for inflation, but even if you bumped the $264k up a little bit to consider inflation more explicitly, it is still a winning strategy.)
Interesting! I'll look into this.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
But that's exactly what they have done with Medicare premiums.
With the Hold Harmless law, if you are collecting SS, your medicare premium is capped and your net (SS minus medicare) will not be decreased.

But if you are not collecting SS, your medicare premium is not capped.

This is effectively the same thing as what you deem unlikely.
That's seems a lot different, unless there's some history I don't know about. You know going in about the Hold Harmless law, and can choose at any point to start taking SS and take advantage of it. If you decide to wait until 67 to take SS, at that point you get the advantage of Hold Harmless. You didn't lose that benefit for good just because you failed to take it by a certain date and they changed benefits underneath you.

This is different from them permanently chopping the future benefits of anyone not yet taking SS even if they are eligible, and keeping the current benefits of those who have started taking it.

Admittedly I'm still learning about Hold Harmless, so please correct any misconceptions I've made.