Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
For those that wait to take SS at 70, do you still have to sign up? Or is it automatic?
When you reach the age that you desire, you have to sign up. I assume the SSA long-term financials folks would prefer that we never signup.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #42

I had my telephone appointment on Wednesday, June 2 and I see they approved it! I think the telephone appointment is the way to go.

IMG_3450.jpg
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I had my telephone appointment on Wednesday, June 2 and I see they approved it! I think the telephone appointment is the way to go.

Attachment 39150
I think you're right!! That's really impressive. If the approval happens immediately like that, I'm definitely going to go that route when I apply in 4.5 years.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:23 AM   #44

Quote:

Attachment 39150
Dashman, how did you get the telephone appointment? Did you call the national 800# to do it? Any advice on the best day/time to call the 800 number? I need to start the process to start my SS at age 70 in a few months. Thanks
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:29 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow. DW applied online nearly 7 weeks ago...still waiting...
Old 06-05-2021, 04:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Dashman, how did you get the telephone appointment? Did you call the national 800# to do it? Any advice on the best day/time to call the 800 number? I need to start the process to start my SS at age 70 in a few months. Thanks

Yes, I used the National 800#. My advice is to call when you have plenty of time to wait on hold. I called late in the day and they came on the line minutes before their published closing time, or nearly an 1 1/2 hours of waiting. They were very helpful and I have no complaints about the people. The person who called me for my appointment was from my local SSA office. If you can find their direct number, that may be better.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I applied online about 3 months prior to desired start date. Five weeks later got a call from the local SS office to verify a few details and at the end of the call they gave me the date/amount of first payment (a couple of months away). The process was fairly painless, and the person handling my case was very helpful/efficient.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Same here except for SS I had to go in person and take every document in my possession to prove citizenship..passport itself wasn't sufficient. Come on now, how did I get the passport if I'm not a citizen 😫..it does make you wonder about all the big brother is watching you hype.
Haven't applied for SS yet but did for DW 2 years ago. We didn't have to provide any proof of citizenship. Hrmmm

As an aside, I recently turned 65 and my military retired ID expired at that age so had to get a renewal. On-line said bring 2 forms of photo ID that weren't expired (military ID was expired by 2 days) so I took passport, DD214, SS card (on-line said SS card was an acceptable ID) my concealed carry and also my covid vaccine card (just cause it is stored in my passport). You would think my ID that was 2 days expired would prove whatever they needed, but there is the great bureaucracy for ya.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Haven't applied for SS yet but did for DW 2 years ago. We didn't have to provide any proof of citizenship. Hrmmm

As an aside, I recently turned 65 and my military retired ID expired at that age so had to get a renewal. On-line said bring 2 forms of photo ID that weren't expired (military ID was expired by 2 days) so I took passport, DD214, SS card (on-line said SS card was an acceptable ID) my concealed carry and also my covid vaccine card (just cause it is stored in my passport). You would think my ID that was 2 days expired would prove whatever they needed, but there is the great bureaucracy for ya.

I wonder if itís easier for those with a RealID driverís license. I had to bring proof of citizenship when I renewed my driverís license a couple of years ago to be able to use it for airline flights. Could the SSA tap into those records?
Old 06-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #50

Quote:
I wonder if itís easier for those with a RealID driverís license. I had to bring proof of citizenship when I renewed my driverís license a couple of years ago to be able to use it for airline flights. Could the SSA tap into those records?

Funny strange, when I got my RealID driver's license couple years ago, I had to wait at DMV and then there was a mixup with passport had my name as JR but it wasn't on my old license or my military ID so I had to go home and get my birth certificate to match the JR.

For my military ID, I didn't give them my drivers license. Due to Covid they took all my docs and went back to the office while I was in waiting room, so not sure which of my docs they used. Just happy to get my ID renewed so I can get back on base for commissary/PX and the Class VI (liquor store).
Old 06-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Hmm, were you born in the US, because I said I was not born in the US
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #52

Quote:
Hmm, were you born in the US, because I said I was not born in the US

Just to understand, they had no idea where I was born, never came up. Did you have to list place of birth on your application ? Forgive me if I missed something. My point, while not well made, was I don't see what your birth place has to do with SS. You pay in 40 Quarters and are over 62 give me what I paid for. That is my take
Old 06-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just to understand, they had no idea where I was born, never came up. Did you have to list place of birth on your application ? Forgive me if I missed something. My point, while not well made, was I don't see what your birth place has to do with SS. You pay in 40 Quarters and are over 62 give me what I paid for. That is my take
They do ask where you were born, perhaps you forgot you answered that question. As to your other questions I can't help you.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #54

Quote:
They do ask where you were born, perhaps you forgot you answered that question. As to your other questions I can't help you.

Yes, I was asked where I was born. Iím pretty sure they already knew that information, so maybe it was a verification of who I am. I was surprised how much information he already had.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I was asked where I was born. Iím pretty sure they already knew that information, so maybe it was a verification of who I am. I was surprised how much information he already had.
Height, weight, belt and hat size. I was kinda intimidated. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #56

Got a letter saying my first SS deposit will be July 14. Medicare starts coming out in August and we hit the first tier of IRMAA. Our total cost for Medicare Part B, Plan G and our Part D plans will be $1,000 less per month than weíve been paying for Medical insurance.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
It goes to whether you were working legally in the US. If you are a citizen, you are legally working here. If you were born here, you were a citizen from the start . If you were born elsewhere, you need to prove that you are actually a citizen because your parents were citizens and met the requirements for their foreign born children to be citizens. Otherwise, you need to be a naturalized citizen.

If you are not a citizen, you can only work in the US if have permanent legal residence (i.e. - a green card) or a visa entitling you to work here. If you did not have a green card or a work visa, you were not legally entitled to work in the US and therefore cannot collect social security for that work.

That's why, when you tell them you were born in another country, they ask for proof of citizenship, a green card or work visa.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #58

I called the main SS number this past Wednesday morning, got to talk to a live person in 10 minutes, I was shocked I expected to be on hold an hour. I had to answer a bunch of questions to prove who I was, including where I was born. I have an appointment to get a call from the local SS office in about 6 weeks. Overall a good experience
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It goes to whether you were working legally in the US. If you are a citizen, you are legally working here. If you were born here, you were a citizen from the start . If you were born elsewhere, you need to prove that you are actually a citizen because your parents were citizens and met the requirements for their foreign born children to be citizens. Otherwise, you need to be a naturalized citizen.

If you are not a citizen, you can only work in the US if have permanent legal residence (i.e. - a green card) or a visa entitling you to work here. If you did not have a green card or a work visa, you were not legally entitled to work in the US and therefore cannot collect social security for that work.

That's why, when you tell them you were born in another country, they ask for proof of citizenship, a green card or work visa.
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Are you here legally (born here, naturalized, green card etc.)? Are you legally entitled to collect SS?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

UPDATE: I applied 4months ago on March 1st and have been on step 2 ever since. I called the 800# for SS. I was on hold for a total of 2 minutes!!!!

She told me the delay was because I filed so early. She said you can file up to 4 months early which I did but that delays it. I said ok when is the best time to apply. She said 2 months is the time to apply. I was told in 2-3 weeks I would get a letter from SS telling me of my approval and the amount of my monthly benefit. Also My Social Security account will be updated.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote