Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Per mySocialSecurity:
"A representative in SALINAS CALIFORNIA started reviewing your application on April 21, 2021. For most people, this review takes 2 to 4 weeks."

10 weeks+ and still waiting...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 05:16 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

NEW UPDATE: I applied 4months ago on March 1st and have been on step 2 ever since.
Finally got approval after 2 calls to SS help desk then a call to our local SS office. I applied on March 1st so it took 4.5 months.

I guess you just have to keep on top of it and be patient.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No idea whether "in person" application is still available (due to Covid) but I do recommend this route as you sit with a real "person" who has access to all the details. Any surprises can likely be worked out during your "session." As mentioned earlier, my meeting went very smoothly and the process was easy. Getting the appointment (4 years ago) was also easy. Based on Covid, I guess YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
No idea whether "in person" application is still available (due to Covid) but I do recommend this route as you sit with a real "person" who has access to all the details. Any surprises can likely be worked out during your "session." As mentioned earlier, my meeting went very smoothly and the process was easy. Getting the appointment (4 years ago) was also easy. Based on Covid, I guess YMMV.

I had a telephone appointment in June and was approved the same day. He had everything available and I just had to answer some simple questions. My first deposit is tomorrow.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
In person SS appointments are still closed in my area due to Covid (and I think everywhere). I called the national 800 number and set a phone appointment with my local office to apply for my age 70 SS benefits. The phone appointment is 2 months out. Things are taking a very long time at SS these days.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In person SS appointments are still closed in my area due to Covid (and I think everywhere). I called the national 800 number and set a phone appointment with my local office to apply for my age 70 SS benefits. The phone appointment is 2 months out. Things are taking a very long time at SS these days.

It always seems to take that long Covid or no Covid. The difference is you used to be able to do walk ins and wait, that's no longer an option.

Was there some reason you couldn't do it online, since you are already in the system for Medicare it should be pretty simple.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #67
Administrator

DW applied online via the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in April and had her final phone interview on July 1st. It would have been 2 weeks earlier but we were away on holiday. The initial interview was in June when a call came in while we were walking on the Cleveland Way on top of 500 SS cliffs. Just as the initial call came in a freight train started passing and we were unable to move away as we were stuck between the line and the cliff edge. It was quite funny really because after the train passed and she started talking to the guy it was obvious that he was working from home as a young child was screaming in the background.

The main interview on July 1st was scheduled so we were home and it all went well. The guy was very familiar with the UK equivalent of SS where only the portion of the pension due to work is applied against WEP, which in DWs case is only 9 years, the other 21 years being voluntary contributions. I checked the progress online a couple of days ago and it states that there is a still a couple of weeks estimate to when she can expect payments, back dated to the initial application in April.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
When you reach the age that you desire, you have to sign up. I assume the SSA long-term financials folks would prefer that we never signup.

You're probably joking but this isn't true. MY DH actually got a letter a few months before he turned 70 telling him he should file and clearly saying there is no financial benefit in waiting after his 70th Bday.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You're probably joking but this isn't true. MY DH actually got a letter a few months before he turned 70 telling him he should file and clearly saying there is no financial benefit in waiting after his 70th Bday.
Yep, I got one of those as well. I recall thinking they should just hope that folks forget.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It always seems to take that long Covid or no Covid. The difference is you used to be able to do walk ins and wait, that's no longer an option.

Was there some reason you couldn't do it online, since you are already in the system for Medicare it should be pretty simple.
I could not do the online system because I was a victim of SS fraud a few years ago so my online account was locked. I may still have to go to the local SS office--they are making appointments for exceptional circumstances and I may be one of those.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote