Social Security Signup

Haven't applied for SS yet but did for DW 2 years ago. We didn't have to provide any proof of citizenship. Hrmmm

As an aside, I recently turned 65 and my military retired ID expired at that age so had to get a renewal. On-line said bring 2 forms of photo ID that weren't expired (military ID was expired by 2 days) so I took passport, DD214, SS card (on-line said SS card was an acceptable ID) my concealed carry and also my covid vaccine card (just cause it is stored in my passport). You would think my ID that was 2 days expired would prove whatever they needed, but there is the great bureaucracy for ya.

Hmm, were you born in the US, because I said I was not born in the US:)

Hmm, were you born in the US, because I said I was not born in the US:)

Just to understand, they had no idea where I was born, never came up. Did you have to list place of birth on your application ? Forgive me if I missed something. My point, while not well made, was I don't see what your birth place has to do with SS. You pay in 40 Quarters and are over 62 give me what I paid for. That is my take :)

Just to understand, they had no idea where I was born, never came up. Did you have to list place of birth on your application ? Forgive me if I missed something. My point, while not well made, was I don't see what your birth place has to do with SS. You pay in 40 Quarters and are over 62 give me what I paid for. That is my take :)

They do ask where you were born, perhaps you forgot you answered that question. As to your other questions I can't help you.

They do ask where you were born, perhaps you forgot you answered that question. As to your other questions I can't help you.

Yes, I was asked where I was born. I’m pretty sure they already knew that information, so maybe it was a verification of who I am. I was surprised how much information he already had.

Yes, I was asked where I was born. I’m pretty sure they already knew that information, so maybe it was a verification of who I am. I was surprised how much information he already had.

Height, weight, belt and hat size. I was kinda intimidated. YMMV:facepalm::cool:

Got a letter saying my first SS deposit will be July 14. Medicare starts coming out in August and we hit the first tier of IRMAA. Our total cost for Medicare Part B, Plan G and our Part D plans will be $1,000 less per month than we’ve been paying for Medical insurance.

It goes to whether you were working legally in the US. If you are a citizen, you are legally working here. If you were born here, you were a citizen from the start . If you were born elsewhere, you need to prove that you are actually a citizen because your parents were citizens and met the requirements for their foreign born children to be citizens. Otherwise, you need to be a naturalized citizen.

If you are not a citizen, you can only work in the US if have permanent legal residence (i.e. - a green card) or a visa entitling you to work here. If you did not have a green card or a work visa, you were not legally entitled to work in the US and therefore cannot collect social security for that work.

That's why, when you tell them you were born in another country, they ask for proof of citizenship, a green card or work visa.

I called the main SS number this past Wednesday morning, got to talk to a live person in 10 minutes, I was shocked I expected to be on hold an hour. I had to answer a bunch of questions to prove who I was, including where I was born. I have an appointment to get a call from the local SS office in about 6 weeks. Overall a good experience

It goes to whether you were working legally in the US. If you are a citizen, you are legally working here. If you were born here, you were a citizen from the start . If you were born elsewhere, you need to prove that you are actually a citizen because your parents were citizens and met the requirements for their foreign born children to be citizens. Otherwise, you need to be a naturalized citizen.

If you are not a citizen, you can only work in the US if have permanent legal residence (i.e. - a green card) or a visa entitling you to work here. If you did not have a green card or a work visa, you were not legally entitled to work in the US and therefore cannot collect social security for that work.

That's why, when you tell them you were born in another country, they ask for proof of citizenship, a green card or work visa.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Are you here legally (born here, naturalized, green card etc.)? Are you legally entitled to collect SS?

UPDATE: I applied 4months ago on March 1st and have been on step 2 ever since. I called the 800# for SS. I was on hold for a total of 2 minutes!!!!

She told me the delay was because I filed so early. She said you can file up to 4 months early which I did but that delays it. I said ok when is the best time to apply. She said 2 months is the time to apply. I was told in 2-3 weeks I would get a letter from SS telling me of my approval and the amount of my monthly benefit. Also My Social Security account will be updated.

Last edited:
Per mySocialSecurity:
"A representative in SALINAS CALIFORNIA started reviewing your application on April 21, 2021. For most people, this review takes 2 to 4 weeks."

10 weeks+ and still waiting...

NEW UPDATE: I applied 4months ago on March 1st and have been on step 2 ever since.
Finally got approval after 2 calls to SS help desk then a call to our local SS office. I applied on March 1st so it took 4.5 months.

I guess you just have to keep on top of it and be patient.

No idea whether "in person" application is still available (due to Covid) but I do recommend this route as you sit with a real "person" who has access to all the details. Any surprises can likely be worked out during your "session." As mentioned earlier, my meeting went very smoothly and the process was easy. Getting the appointment (4 years ago) was also easy. Based on Covid, I guess YMMV.

No idea whether "in person" application is still available (due to Covid) but I do recommend this route as you sit with a real "person" who has access to all the details. Any surprises can likely be worked out during your "session." As mentioned earlier, my meeting went very smoothly and the process was easy. Getting the appointment (4 years ago) was also easy. Based on Covid, I guess YMMV.

I had a telephone appointment in June and was approved the same day. He had everything available and I just had to answer some simple questions. My first deposit is tomorrow.

In person SS appointments are still closed in my area due to Covid (and I think everywhere). I called the national 800 number and set a phone appointment with my local office to apply for my age 70 SS benefits. The phone appointment is 2 months out. Things are taking a very long time at SS these days.

In person SS appointments are still closed in my area due to Covid (and I think everywhere). I called the national 800 number and set a phone appointment with my local office to apply for my age 70 SS benefits. The phone appointment is 2 months out. Things are taking a very long time at SS these days.

It always seems to take that long Covid or no Covid. The difference is you used to be able to do walk ins and wait, that's no longer an option.

Was there some reason you couldn't do it online, since you are already in the system for Medicare it should be pretty simple.

DW applied online via the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in April and had her final phone interview on July 1st. It would have been 2 weeks earlier but we were away on holiday. The initial interview was in June when a call came in while we were walking on the Cleveland Way on top of 500’ SS cliffs. Just as the initial call came in a freight train started passing and we were unable to move away as we were stuck between the line and the cliff edge. It was quite funny really because after the train passed and she started talking to the guy it was obvious that he was working from home as a young child was screaming in the background.

The main interview on July 1st was scheduled so we were home and it all went well. The guy was very familiar with the UK equivalent of SS where only the portion of the pension due to work is applied against WEP, which in DW’s case is only 9 years, the other 21 years being voluntary contributions. I checked the progress online a couple of days ago and it states that there is a still a couple of weeks estimate to when she can expect payments, back dated to the initial application in April.

When you reach the age that you desire, you have to sign up. I assume the SSA long-term financials folks would prefer that we never signup. ;)

You're probably joking but this isn't true. MY DH actually got a letter a few months before he turned 70 telling him he should file and clearly saying there is no financial benefit in waiting after his 70th Bday.

You're probably joking but this isn't true. MY DH actually got a letter a few months before he turned 70 telling him he should file and clearly saying there is no financial benefit in waiting after his 70th Bday.

Yep, I got one of those as well. I recall thinking they should just hope that folks forget.:angel:

It always seems to take that long Covid or no Covid. The difference is you used to be able to do walk ins and wait, that's no longer an option.

Was there some reason you couldn't do it online, since you are already in the system for Medicare it should be pretty simple.

I could not do the online system because I was a victim of SS fraud a few years ago so my online account was locked. I may still have to go to the local SS office--they are making appointments for exceptional circumstances and I may be one of those.

Back
Top Bottom