Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I finally called the 1-800# and was given the # for Richmond. Left a msg there and a really nice rep called back. She gave me my analyst's #, told me my status inc amt I'll get, how to select withholding, and also stated that they're still WFH!!!! Hence the delay. Hope she's right. Cha-ching [emoji765][emoji383]

So for those who are waiting more than 4 weeks: try calling to get the analyst's office's phone number.

Will they pay from your application date in Jan?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Will they pay from your application date in Jan?
In my case, I'm not positive. I'm under GPO (I had the wrong offset) so we decided that my birthday is better in the long run. But each case is different.

My new start date is the 19th ..... let's see what happens.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my case, I'm not positive. I'm under GPO (I had the wrong offset) so we decided that my birthday is better in the long run. But each case is different.

My new start date is the 19th ..... let's see what happens.

You made the change not them? I wonder if the GPO was part of the delay?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You made the change not them?
Yes. GPO can be confusing and it turns out that the pension board needs to respond as well.

I also selected 22% withholding
Old 04-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Yes. GPO can be confusing and it turns out that the pension board needs to respond as well.

I also selected 22% withholding
I'm wondering - when you applied online, were you able to specify your desired withholding rate at that time? Was it a simple online selection, as opposed to having to fill out a Voluntary W4 withholding form?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I'm wondering - when you applied online, were you able to specify your desired withholding rate at that time? Was it a simple online selection, as opposed to having to fill out a Voluntary W4 withholding form?

Thanks
Here's the form:
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...axwithold.html
I filled it out and dropped it off at the local office. If they don't get it in time for the 1st check then at least it'll be there for the subsequent ones
Old 04-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #27

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2021, 12:30 AM   #28

Well this thread is enlightening lol. We are not SS-ready yet...and not for another 4 years or so for DW and 10 years for me. Sounds like a lot of things our gov't does...not very professional/efficient. I guess in defense of them, they are probably dealing with thousands and thousands every day with the boomers in full bloom right now.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Update after 62 days since they acknowledge they started working it. There has been no update on the status. When I check online it says it takes 2 to 4 weeks for most people but as stated, it's been over 2 months.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Bogie, at this point I would call my Congressman and get his or her help. I had a Social Security issue that I could not resolve, called my Congressman and he got it resolved in a couple of days. Squeaky wheel.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Update after 62 days since they acknowledge they started working it. There has been no update on the status. When I check online it says it takes 2 to 4 weeks for most people but as stated, it's been over 2 months.

Same here. I applied March 1st and still am at step 2. I'll be patient and keep checking. My 1st check should arrive in August.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
You are still early in the process I applied Aug 1 (birthday in Nov). My status did not switch to approved until Dec - one week before I got my first check.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

DW applied about March 7 and it was approved when I checked late last week... so about 8 weeks for approval. She should get her first check next week.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:15 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

It's been 4 years, so things probably have changed. They said "give us a 3 months heads up AND make an appointment ahead of time." I didn't want to do it on line so I made the appointment for - you guessed it, 3 months ahead. IIRC all I needed was an SS card, I think, maybe a birth cert. AND marriage certificate (all 'certified') and my DL. They KNEW WHO I WAS when I talked to them. "We have quite a dossier on you Ko'olau!" They told me to the day when my first amount would arrive in my bank acct. and they were right and to the penny. It was harder to make the appt. than to do the deed as they were "ready" for me when I came in.

They may try to convince you to take a one-time payment which will move your retire date BACK several months. I suppose if you need the money it's okay, but understand that will lower payments - forever - going forward. They pushed that at me pretty hard for some reason. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #35

Done when expected. Should see next month
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Screenshot_20210514-130117_Chrome.jpeg (51.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I have an appointment to sign up in early June. Tried online, but keep getting errors. Most likely because I recently signed up for Medicare. After rethinking and talks with DW, decided to apply for SS now and DW (same age) will wait a few years more since hers will be higher. We turn 65 in August.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Are the local SS offices open yet?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Are the local SS offices open yet?
No idea. I waited on the phone an hour to make a telephone appointment in June. He did tell me the call will be with a person fro my local office, but I don't know if they are actually in the office.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally got the back payment for social security and the normal monthly payments start june 9. For others wondering how long it takes, for us we filed on Jan 3 to start in March. We didn't hear anything from social security until 5/24. They asked a couple of questions and the back payment was deposited on 5/26. Yeehaw.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #40

For those that wait to take SS at 70, do you still have to sign up? Or is it automatic?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote