Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Signup
Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security Signup

Hey all! My dear wife signed up for social security early last month and still hasn't been approved. It says 2-4 weeks for most people but we are now beyond the 4 weeks. Has anyone recently applied to start social security and how long did it take?
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW is in the same boat:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (56.9 KB, 99 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:44 AM   #3
Administrator

My birthday was in January, meaning my first month of SS eligibility was February and the earliest I could get the first check was March.

I applied on-line for social security on 12/6/20. On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship, which I did that day. They returned it on 2/16/21. I received my first deposit on 3/11/21, which was the first time I knew that my application had been approved. The actual approval letter that I received in the mail is dated 3/14/21, and it never showed as approved on the computer before the money arrived. In fact, it never even showed that anyone was reviewing it, only that it had been received (i.e. - step 1 in the bar graph.)

Hope that helps.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship

Just curious; do you have to be a US citizen to collect SS?
george76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by george76 View Post
Just curious; do you have to be a US citizen to collect SS?
Not necessarily. If there is any specific question, you can always ask them at ssa.gov which is the source.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My birthday was in January, meaning my first month of SS eligibility was February and the earliest I could get the first check was March.

I applied on-line for social security on 12/6/20. On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship, which I did that day. They returned it on 2/16/21. I received my first deposit on 3/11/21, which was the first time I knew that my application had been approved. The actual approval letter that I received in the mail is dated 3/14/21, and it never showed as approved on the computer before the money arrived. In fact, it never even showed that anyone was reviewing it, only that it had been received (i.e. - step 1 in the bar graph.)

Hope that helps.
It's funny/odd that they needed your passport... I would have thought they would have some linkage with the State Department to confirm that you had a passport. Right hand unaware what the left hand is doing I guess.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Submitted my application March 16th and was approved April 5th. Standard. Sorry it's taking so long.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It's funny/odd that they needed your passport... I would have thought they would have some linkage with the State Department to confirm that you had a passport. Right hand unaware what the left hand is doing I guess.
I would have thought so, too. Since I was not born here, over the course of my life I have needed to prove my citizenship to the Department of Defense, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (DOE), the State Department, and, perhaps most egregiously, the Social Security Administration itself (when I got a social security card at the age of 16). That's not even counting the state governments and private employers who also have required proof of citizenship. It is an annoyance.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would have thought so, too. Since I was not born here, over the course of my life I have needed to prove my citizenship to the Department of Defense, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (DOE), the State Department, and, perhaps most egregiously, the Social Security Administration itself (when I got a social security card at the age of 16). That's not even counting the state governments and private employers who also have required proof of citizenship. It is an annoyance.
Same here except for SS I had to go in person and take every document in my possession to prove citizenship..passport itself wasn't sufficient. Come on now, how did I get the passport if I'm not a citizen 😫..it does make you wonder about all the big brother is watching you hype.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bogie, I would give it a while longer. But if it drags on too long i suggest you contact your Federal congressman. I had a SS issue I could not get resolved, I contacted my Congressman and he was able to resolve the problem in one day.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
DW is in the same boat:

Same here. I applied March 1st and am still waiting.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #12

I applied 3 months before I wanted to start. My status never changed to approved until the week before my first check hit my account right on time. Some people get immediate notification, others like me just wait and wait. I never did get the "official" letter in the mail. Personally, I wouldn't worry. Lots of people see this kind of delay but get their checks on time.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I applied 3 months before I wanted to start. My status never changed to approved until the week before my first check hit my account right on time. Some people get immediate notification, others like me just wait and wait. I never did get the "official" letter in the mail. Personally, I wouldn't worry. Lots of people see this kind of delay but get their checks on time.
I applied 1/15/2021. The myssa.gov site says it's been received and is being processed. It's 4/14/21 so obviously not 2-4 weeksScreenshot_20210414-193604_Chrome.jpeg
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah, but gayl, you are not most people!
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #15

At least they acknowledge that they received it. I think that the amount keeps going up each month (or quarter) until they start sending it
Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
At least they acknowledge that they received it. I think that the amount keeps going up each month (or quarter) until they start sending it
I think you get back paid from the date you applied to start.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I think you get back paid from the date you applied to start.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all for the input. At least I know it's not just me. Not sure what it is that needs to be verified. Seems like it should be almost automatic in the era of computer. It certainly didn't take this long to get my private pension.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW is in the same boat:
Unchanged as of today.. a week later... and 5 weeks after March 7.... so much for 2 to 4 weeks.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #20

I finally called the 1-800# and was given the # for Richmond. Left a msg there and a really nice rep called back. She gave me my analyst's #, told me my status inc amt I'll get, how to select withholding, and also stated that they're still WFH!!!! Hence the delay. Hope she's right. Cha-ching

So for those who are waiting more than 4 weeks: try calling to get the analyst's office's phone number.