Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Social Security Signup
Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Social Security Signup

Hey all! My dear wife signed up for social security early last month and still hasn't been approved. It says 2-4 weeks for most people but we are now beyond the 4 weeks. Has anyone recently applied to start social security and how long did it take?
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,159
DW is in the same boat:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (56.9 KB, 99 views)
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:44 AM   #3
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,562
My birthday was in January, meaning my first month of SS eligibility was February and the earliest I could get the first check was March.

I applied on-line for social security on 12/6/20. On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship, which I did that day. They returned it on 2/16/21. I received my first deposit on 3/11/21, which was the first time I knew that my application had been approved. The actual approval letter that I received in the mail is dated 3/14/21, and it never showed as approved on the computer before the money arrived. In fact, it never even showed that anyone was reviewing it, only that it had been received (i.e. - step 1 in the bar graph.)

Hope that helps.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship

Just curious; do you have to be a US citizen to collect SS?
george76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 18,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by george76 View Post
Just curious; do you have to be a US citizen to collect SS?
Not necessarily. If there is any specific question, you can always ask them at ssa.gov which is the source.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My birthday was in January, meaning my first month of SS eligibility was February and the earliest I could get the first check was March.

I applied on-line for social security on 12/6/20. On 2/8/21, they called me and asked me to send my passport to prove my citizenship, which I did that day. They returned it on 2/16/21. I received my first deposit on 3/11/21, which was the first time I knew that my application had been approved. The actual approval letter that I received in the mail is dated 3/14/21, and it never showed as approved on the computer before the money arrived. In fact, it never even showed that anyone was reviewing it, only that it had been received (i.e. - step 1 in the bar graph.)

Hope that helps.
It's funny/odd that they needed your passport... I would have thought they would have some linkage with the State Department to confirm that you had a passport. Right hand unaware what the left hand is doing I guess.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: North Central MA
Posts: 48
Submitted my application March 16th and was approved April 5th. Standard. Sorry it's taking so long.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #8
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It's funny/odd that they needed your passport... I would have thought they would have some linkage with the State Department to confirm that you had a passport. Right hand unaware what the left hand is doing I guess.
I would have thought so, too. Since I was not born here, over the course of my life I have needed to prove my citizenship to the Department of Defense, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (DOE), the State Department, and, perhaps most egregiously, the Social Security Administration itself (when I got a social security card at the age of 16). That's not even counting the state governments and private employers who also have required proof of citizenship. It is an annoyance.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I would have thought so, too. Since I was not born here, over the course of my life I have needed to prove my citizenship to the Department of Defense, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (DOE), the State Department, and, perhaps most egregiously, the Social Security Administration itself (when I got a social security card at the age of 16). That's not even counting the state governments and private employers who also have required proof of citizenship. It is an annoyance.
Same here except for SS I had to go in person and take every document in my possession to prove citizenship..passport itself wasn't sufficient. Come on now, how did I get the passport if I'm not a citizen 😫..it does make you wonder about all the big brother is watching you hype.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 3,307
Bogie, I would give it a while longer. But if it drags on too long i suggest you contact your Federal congressman. I had a SS issue I could not get resolved, I contacted my Congressman and he was able to resolve the problem in one day.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW is in the same boat:

Same here. I applied March 1st and am still waiting.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,505
I applied 3 months before I wanted to start. My status never changed to approved until the week before my first check hit my account right on time. Some people get immediate notification, others like me just wait and wait. I never did get the "official" letter in the mail. Personally, I wouldn't worry. Lots of people see this kind of delay but get their checks on time.
__________________
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Diablo Valley (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I applied 3 months before I wanted to start. My status never changed to approved until the week before my first check hit my account right on time. Some people get immediate notification, others like me just wait and wait. I never did get the "official" letter in the mail. Personally, I wouldn't worry. Lots of people see this kind of delay but get their checks on time.
I applied 1/15/2021. The myssa.gov site says it's been received and is being processed. It's 4/14/21 so obviously not 2-4 weeksScreenshot_20210414-193604_Chrome.jpeg
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Undisclosed
Posts: 338
Ah, but gayl, you are not most people!
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Diablo Valley (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 2,164
At least they acknowledge that they received it. I think that the amount keeps going up each month (or quarter) until they start sending it
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
At least they acknowledge that they received it. I think that the amount keeps going up each month (or quarter) until they start sending it
I think you get back paid from the date you applied to start.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Diablo Valley (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I think you get back paid from the date you applied to start.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Thanks to all for the input. At least I know it's not just me. Not sure what it is that needs to be verified. Seems like it should be almost automatic in the era of computer. It certainly didn't take this long to get my private pension.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW is in the same boat:
Unchanged as of today.. a week later... and 5 weeks after March 7.... so much for 2 to 4 weeks.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Diablo Valley (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 2,164
I finally called the 1-800# and was given the # for Richmond. Left a msg there and a really nice rep called back. She gave me my analyst's #, told me my status inc amt I'll get, how to select withholding, and also stated that they're still WFH!!!! Hence the delay. Hope she's right. Cha-ching

So for those who are waiting more than 4 weeks: try calling to get the analyst's office's phone number.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medicare easy pay and social security signup madsquopper Health and Early Retirement 2 11-14-2019 11:08 AM
No cap on Medicare B late signup penalty? ncbill Health and Early Retirement 3 02-14-2018 09:01 PM
ACA Signup Pain on healthcare.gov sengsational Health and Early Retirement 34 11-27-2017 11:33 AM
Healthcare.gov Signup after Move? NoMoreJob Health and Early Retirement 9 07-02-2014 03:50 PM
Were you successful in the ACA signup Refresher Health and Early Retirement 304 05-29-2014 05:52 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.