Social Security Statements Now Available

2B

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's now possible to get an online version of the social security statement we used to get in the mail every year.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/

They've added a section where you can see the total social security and medicare payments you and your employer made. Since a good half of my working life was at the much lower contribution rates, it looks like I'm getting a good return on my SS money unless the government decides I'm too "lucky" and cuts my benefits.

Nice link. Thanks for the heads up. I tried, couldn't set up an account. Something about my name being incorrect. Oh well, I'm sure it will get worked out.

Awesome.

I'm surprised it took that long for them to set this up. Should save millions in postage and printing (if they adopt a no paper statement kind of thing like the banks, enticing people to opt out of receiving the hard copy to be able to access it anytime.)

My DW got one of the "Your Social Security Statement" things in the mail last week. She had not done anything to request it. I thought they quit mailing them out 2 years ago. She does turn 60 this summer and that may have something to do with why it came.

It's a well-done website IMO. When you create an account they ask you some questions to confirm your identity. The questions seem to be based on the info in your credit reports. Some of the questions are tough. They asked me what year I opened a particular credit card account. Who remembers that?

My DW got one of the "Your Social Security Statement" things in the mail last week. She had not done anything to request it. I thought they quit mailing them out 2 years ago. She does turn 60 this summer and that may have something to do with why it came.
Actually, they started to send them out again due to the response that the then current calculator did not show contributions.

DW received hers two months ago, and she turns 64 this month (don't tell her I told you :D ).

Just signed up... only took about 5 minutes. Great system and well written website/interface. Awesome to be able to look back at earning history.

It's a well-done website IMO. When you create an account they ask you some questions to confirm your identity. The questions seem to be based on the info in your credit reports. Some of the questions are tough. They asked me what year I opened a particular credit card account. Who remembers that?

luckily my questions were easy... two of them were "none of the above," which was obvious because I'd never even heard of the lenders. :)

"Something about my name being incorrect. Oh well, I'm sure it will get worked out."

I had to use random characters, otherwise it thinks you are spelling a "name"

Now I'm thinking it was an address issue. SSA must have a previous address. I need to establish an account with my old address, then update it. Try again tomorrow...

I got one of the mailed reports last week. I didn't request it.

I noticed this one had an extra page on when to take SS, maybe my age (I'm over 60) triggered it.

Why would the SSA know who I took house and car loans with:confused:

Signing up for an online statement will not work if you reside overseas (requires a USA address), I guess I should be expecting a statement in the mail soon.

I have accessed other features of my account (online) in the past, so all in all it is a great site.

Next time I am in the USA, I might try to go into the office and sign up, hopefully that will work.

Worked perfect for me and my wife. I thought the site was well done. I am a records freak so I like having a yearly statement in PDF form every year.

Didn't work for me- I don't have a middle initial but the system seems to require one...

I have an ex-coworker who didn't have a middle initial, which completely exploded the megacorp benefits and email systems. He refused to let them make one up for him too. Not sure how they finally worked it out, but it was fun to listen in on his phone calls with them.

Thanks for mentioning this. Been wanting to confirm my earnings were reflected correctly as they weren't on my last paper one.

Looks like I've managed to retain 33% of my qualified ss income. Probably a useless statistic, but given the age, seems appropriate.

Ditto here. DW is not looking forward to this 60 thing.

DH had 2009 earnings posted way too low the year they quit sending these. Had to have this corrected. Now that we got back online to view again, 2010 earnings only reflect about one month rather than one year of work. So THANK YOU for posting the link- we can get this fixed now. Three year window to do so.

We are encouraging DD and hubby to be sure to get in the habit of reviewing their statements annually as well.

Didn't work for me- I don't have a middle initial but the system seems to require one...

Long ago in the military, there was a similar requirement on many bits of paperwork. Those without one were required to fill that blank with "NMI" (No Middle Initial"). You might try that, just for grins.

This isn't exactly on the topic but related.

I'm 61, still working but ready to pull plug. My history is a little strange in that of 41 years of working 15 of highest earning were non-SS. So I'm guessing my "average" is subject to still going up (I've exceeded the max for last 15 years, did prior to that did but was not SS). So if I plug in the estimate for retire at 66 with current salary, it gives me $2218 a month. I'm assuming it assumes I'll keep working until then for the average. If instead I plug in "0" for last years salary, it gives me $1983 a month. So am I correct in assuming that if I stop earning now, and wait until 66, my benefit will be something like the $1983? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom