Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Statements Updated For 2023
Old 11-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security Statements Updated For 2023

Just wanted to let everyone know that your SS statement on the My Social Security website has been updated with your new benefits for 2023.

For those who have been stating no benefit increase when you turn 61 that is clearly incorrect. My wife was 61 in March 2022 and her now verified benefit has increased by 8.9% which my understanding is the average wage increase previously mentioned in another thread.

Nice to see the actual increase reflected in the yearly numbers.
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks
Old 11-18-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the heads up. I'm 60 and my estimated benefit also rose by 8.9% between statements generated in March 2022 and just now in November 2022. I was not expecting that. But I'll admit that even though I keep reading on how it works, I can't seem to grasp how it actually works.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

i am receiving my SS and it rose the 8.7% stated.... a nice 190....
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks! The monthly deposit that I will get after Medicare is subtracted is exactly the same to the penny as what I was figuring.

YAY!!
Old 11-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm 60 and my estimated benefit also rose by 8.9% between statements generated in March 2022 and just now in November 2022. I was not expecting that. But I'll admit that even though I keep reading on how it works, I can't seem to grasp how it actually works.
Average Wage Index increase through age 61.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #7

Mine will be the exact amount I calculated.
This is my first year receiving SS- is the increase effective in December to be received in January? Did I interrupt that correctly?

With the recalculation of my SS due to 2021 earnings and the COLA my benefits went up $220/month. Not bad for someone subject to WEP.
Irishgirlyc58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
Mine will be the exact amount I calculated.
This is my first year receiving SS- is the increase effective in December to be received in January? Did I interrupt that correctly?
On the page where I found out the increased amount, it said:
$xxxx.xx next payment before deductions

Next Payment Date: December 14, 2022
The amount they quoted for my next payment was the increased amount. So, it sounds like the increase is effective in December. But my memory tells me I never got the increases until January. Hmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
With the recalculation of my SS due to 2021 earnings and the COLA my benefits went up $220/month. Not bad for someone subject to WEP.
Terrific!!
Old 11-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you ... great info ....
wdwwildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
it sounds like the increase is effective in December. But my memory tells me I never got the increases until January.
Trust your memory (after all, we've been relying on it for a long time ).

That was a very poorly worded notice. The increase will be in the January payment.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. I Just checked. The numbers on the SSA.gov site now matches my manual calculation done a few weeks ago.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #12

What will I do with all that extra money?
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
On the page where I found out the increased amount, it said:
$xxxx.xx next payment before deductions

Next Payment Date: December 14, 2022
The amount they quoted for my next payment was the increased amount. So, it sounds like the increase is effective in December. But my memory tells me I never got the increases until January. Hmm!

Terrific!!

Yeah- they make it look like people will receive the increase in December but in actuality itís the benefit increasing in December to receive in January.
Honestly, if I was ever to take another job I would want it to be to clean up SS wording on benefits. After 35 years in social services/ public assistance programs it drives me bonkers how bad the wording is. I bet their customer service reps get inundated with calls because of it.
Irishgirlyc58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
What will I do with all that extra money?
Ha ha!
Old 11-18-2022, 09:12 PM   #15

Thanks. My estimate was 0.32 off. It is confusing that it says "
Quote:
x,xxx.xx next payment before deductions

Next Payment Date: December 20, 2022

Payments are made on the 3rd Wednesday of every month
Surely it is wrong. The 3rd Wednesday is Dec 21st, not the 20th!

For me, being born in the 20's of my birth-month, it should be on the 4th Wednesday. I have been receiving spousal and getting it on the 3rd Wednesday. I assumed it was due to DW receiving hers on the 3rd Wednesday. I guess I'll just sit back and wait to see what hits the bank account.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Anyone rerun their numbers at OpenSocialSecurity.com? It used to recommend I claim at 69 and 11 month, IIRC. Now it says 67 and 11 months.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Thanks. My estimate was 0.32 off.

They always round down to the nearest whole dollar. https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...le%20of%20%241.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:09 PM   #18

My webpage says: $xx26.90, not $xx26.00. I am familiar with the rounding down. I thought it was for the PIA and subsequent increases were penny for penny, or at least rounded to the dime. It is very confusing when I have them take out for Medicare premiums, Part D premiums and a certain % for taxes. What I do know is the bank deposit for both me and DW is in full dime increments. What is, is.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:59 PM   #19
Administrator

It's all the extra deductions and taxes and such. The basic monthly SSA benefit before taxes and deductions is in whole dollars. I have no deductions at all. 1.087 times my current monthly payment leaves about 30 cents. My new monthly amount takes that 30 cents and still pays me in whole dollars.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Anyone rerun their numbers at OpenSocialSecurity.com? It used to recommend I claim at 69 and 11 month, IIRC. Now it says 67 and 11 months.
Probably due to an increase in the discount rate used. The rate they use is hidden unless you choose the checkbox at the top. The rate they use is for 20 year TIPS, which have risen probably since the last time you ran the tool.

A higher discount rate makes it beneficial to claim earlier, I think.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote