Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Tax Withholding Question
Old 07-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Social Security Tax Withholding Question

I've been retired 5 years, and just started taking Social Security. I figured it would be convenient to have taxes withheld going forward, so I won't have to pay quarterly taxes anymore.

But I think only Federal Taxes are withheld, and not state Taxes.

If I have to pay state taxes quarterly, it may not be worth it..

Does anyone do this, and just pay the state taxes separately?
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #2

Most states don't tax Social Security payments, so it's probably not worth their while to set up a withholding scheme.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Even you can for IRS tax, the max of withholding is 22% and has to be done with paper form sending to local SSA office. You cannot do it like changing DD bank on the SSA website.
xlf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't know that was even possible. I do tax returns for 4 different people collecting SS and no FIT withheld for any of them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I didn't know that was even possible. I do tax returns for 4 different people collecting SS and no FIT withheld for any of them.
It's simple to set up when you first start collecting, but cumbersome to change later.
Quote:
You can have 7, 10, 12 or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld.
No other options.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I helped MIL set this up after decades of no withholding. I thought we did it in her online account.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

I selected the option to withhold Fed Income tax (10%) on my SSA application. That was ignored and no tax was ever taken out. I have subsequently had to change my State pension withholding three times to achieve what I calculate as necessary.

I first went from Single 2 to Single 1, then from Single 1 to Single 0, and finally went with Single 0 + $60.00 additional monthly.

My State Pension still uses the old method of Marital Status and exemptions for now.
JJ577274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #8

State tax withholding can be tricky.
My military pension makes it easy to change withholding online for federal, but I can't withhold at all for state. The reason is that a state has to set up a formal agreement with the military to handle this, and my state has not done so. My guess is that this is part of the reason Social Security won't do it -- they don't want to open a can of worms where they will withhold from some states but not others.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It's simple to set up when you first start collecting, but cumbersome to change later.
No other options.

I was able to download and print the form from social security, which has to be mailed in (No uploading or online changes allowed)

You can use the same form to stop withholding
Old 07-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I was able to download and print the form from social security, which has to be mailed in (No uploading or online changes allowed)

You can use the same form to stop withholding
When you see the withholding take effect, please let us know how long it took for them to process it.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:56 PM   #11

I do my Federal withholding through my pension. It's a state pension, but they won't withhold for state! Since my state taxes are low, I just pay it in a lump in March using their on-line site.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:01 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When you see the withholding take effect, please let us know how long it took for them to process it.

The rep I spoke with yesterday, said if I mailed it this week, the change should take place for next months payment.

My payment is the 4th Wednesday of every month...we'll see..
Old 07-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #13

I opted to have 10% taken out when I started SS and that seems to work out very closely for us. My former employer in MD will withhold taxes on the pension for MD but I didn't really expect them to do all the weird calculations for all the other states that have income taxes, and they won't. So since I have to send in quarterly payments for the pension anyway it is little additional bother to include SS with it too.

Fortunately WV's governor is working on eliminating the WV income tax altogether, perhaps even starting with a 10% cut this year. It'll probably happen about the same time we move out of WV for a CCRC in PA.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #14

I started SS withholding earlier this year. I mailed in the form and it did not happen in the first month after submitting, but it did in the second month.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I started SS last November with first payment in December. I must have blown past the withholding part when I applied so had to send in the form after I was approved near the first of November. My first check in December had the proper 12% withheld as requested so it didn't take too long. My payment is 2nd Wednesday each month.
5Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
No other options.
set up quarterly payments on EFTPS. takes me maybe 15-min once a year.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:09 AM   #17

I have max Federal tax withheld from my SS payment.
SS isn't taxed in MA, so that's a non issue.

But since SS withholding isn't finely adjustable, I tweak the withholding on other income streams, in 1% increments, to get overall amount where I want it for the year...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

I withhold taxes from SS. I have state taxes. I don't have to worry about state taxes (yet), because my income isn't high enough to have to prepay state income taxes. (this may change after I start RMDs from my IRA) I love withholding the taxes from SS because I don't have to worry about being penalized for not prepaying federal income taxes. I withhold 12% at this time, which is enough for my income level. I'll increase that when my income increases from RMDs (if 22% is enough). This is convenient for me, so I recommend it. It may not be satisfactory for everyone.

The one drawback to this is that it takes a couple of months for the SS Administration to start the withholding OR to effect any change. So plan for that.
Bpollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
set up quarterly payments on EFTPS. takes me maybe 15-min once a year.

+1 for EFTPS. I would rather manage my withholding.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
+1 for EFTPS. I would rather manage my withholding.
I never had SS withhold. I did it through my pension. Then pension admin became incompetent (or I did) so now I just do monthly EFPTS.