Software to track stock sales and taxes

Davidhelp

Recycles dryer sheets
I am looking for software to track stock sales and taxes as they happen during the year so I am not surprised at the beginning of the year when I do my taxes.

Any idea for software?

Seems like something easily handled in excel (or Google docs online spreadsheet)

Are you doing just a few sales? ...dozens? ...hundreds? ...more?

The budgeting software I've been using for 30 years does it, as do most programs in that category. You might not want to invest the time in getting going on an application like that, though, as it's a lot more than you're looking for.

Fidelity provides year to date tax info for taxable accounts. I then plug the data into Dinkytown’s 1040 estimator.

I log into Schwab and open the Realized Gain/Loss page.
I look at All Brokerage Accounts or a specific one.
I see totals for Long Term Gain/Loss as well as Short Term.
In my income estimate spreadsheet I use .15 or .25 and see what tax I should plan for.

+2

Fidelity does it well, the data is easy to access, clear and straightforward. Vanguard also does it, but not so easy or straightforward.

Vanguard has a summary table in the tax section but does not list the details, only the next gains/losses. Detail would be nice but not essential for my purposes in mid-year. By December/January the actuals are booked and I have a little time to finalize my Q4 estimated payment, if necessary.

For Vanguard, if I select Cost Basis for my brokerage account holdings, I can select the Realized Capital Gains tab and see all of the details on this year's sales.

As others have already mentioned, your broker should make that available to you. I'm guessing Fidelity is like most others. Just click on tax info YTD.
29143-albums233-picture2682.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom