Solar photovoltaic on the house as an investment

Unless really new technologies are found, we cannot count on scaling up existing devices that we are currently using. Is it that bleak?

It's an opportunity! :LOL:

I do think we will find alternatives that provide base power (new nukes, something else?). If wind and solar get cheap enough (relative to other sources), and we develop alternative base power that can ramp up/down fast, we might just 'waste' the excess wind/solar. It could be cheaper to just use 60% of it, rather than try to use 100% by storing it (which will probably waste 20% of what we stored in the process!).

Another hypothetical big-picture view to see just how BIG an issue we are facing to try to make solar fit. Very round numbers for convenience, but they actually work pretty well:

Recall the saying "It takes money to make money"? Well, it takes energy to save energy! A solar panel requires a lot of energy to produce, and it takes about two years for it to produce enough power to make up what it used. And...

since we saw that the US only gets ~ 0.4% of its electrical power from solar PV, let's imaging we want to really scale up, to where solar is really making a difference, and get to 40% in ten years. That means 100x the amount of panel production as we have today, so let's put in 10X per year.

It gets interesting - for year 1-10, we need to dedicate 8% of our electrical power to produce the panels, which are adding 4% points of overall generation each year. So we are negative for two years, and go step-wise from 4% solar net in year 3, 8% in year 4, finally up to 32% overall solar power in year 10. We get the full 40% for years 11 through 25, and then we start all over!

So 40% maybe is not such a crazy high target number, as it takes 11 years to get there even at a very aggressive rate. So our average solar savings is still somewhat small overall (edit/add: ~ 14% for years 1-10, and 29.6% average over the 25 years). And as we get to these overall numbers (remember, that 24/7/365 average!), that sounds we will have an excess at the daytime peaks (that 40% is compressed into daylight hours), which means storage/waste, so 40% installed capacity won't get you to 40% overall offset.

Hmmm, do we dare run $'s?

Let's see, if the 20GW current installed capacity figure is correct and in-line with the 0.4% production number (if that is correct - this source says closer to 0.22% from solar 29 ∕ 13010 ≈ 0.0022290546) ....

Our 10x installed capacity increase for 10 consecutive years means we install 200GW, at a conservative $1/watt (I imagine this kind of demand would cause shortages which would drive up prices, but let's be kind), is $200 Billion per year (plus up front energy costs the first two years), times 10 years $2 Trillion (did I get my decimals and money/SI units correct?).

Perspective? Oh boy... In 2013 the total US consumption of electric energy was 4113 Terawatt hours (TWh) (or million mWh or billion kWh)

so at a rough average of $0.10/kWh, we currently spend ~ 4113 x 10^9 kWh = $411.3 Billion per year? So even with my conservative $1/W installed (likely 2x that), we are looking at increasing our energy spending by at least 50% for ten years, probably more like double or more. It would start to get offset in year three, but could we really muster up that kind of up-front expenditure? What effect would it have on the economy?

And is doing far less really doing much at all (environmentally)?

OK, my brain officially hurts, off to something else.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I don't know what the Iowa Hill project will cost, but it won't be cheap. That is all going to be completely underground, the generator and the upstream 'lake'; none of it will be dectectable from above ground that there was anything built there. 400 megawatts of generation is a HUGE plant. What a cavern they are carving out of the mountain. Then a lake built under ground above it!! I think the lake above will be built, then covered.

I can't imagine a battery stack that could stand a 400 MW draw. That would be a site to behold.
There is a process called the Sabatier process that can be used to convert Hydrogen into methane (proposed for use in some plans for mars missions). If you took extra solar energy and used it to split the water, and then made methane from CO2 and the Hydrogen you have a pre-built distribution network. Put the plants near current natural gas storage facilities and the distribution would be very low cost. Note that this process would be very low in net Co2 emmissions. Wikipeida says there is a demonstration plant in Germany. Of course if you did this big time, you would make the middle east which has lots of sun a real energy hub. (put the plants on the shore of the ocean.

This article capsulizes some of the things I've been talking about:

The economic limitations of wind and solar power - Vox

I've been saying that once renewables get near peaks, it's going to be harder for them. They need back-up and/or storage, and/or some power is wasted, so their costs will go up. They need to re-coup their investment, even if the fuel is free, so they will need to charge more for the energy they are able to sell.

Jenkins and Trembath propose a "rule of thumb": "It is increasingly difficult for the market share of variable renewable energy sources at the system-wide level to exceed the capacity factor of the energy source."

Capacity factors (average energy delivered divided by nameplate energy delivered) are in the 10's-20's for solar, 30's-40's for wind. But they say this is a very rough guide, subject to many variables.

They also address what I pointed out on the fallacy of some of the high renewable %'s reported from places like Denmark and Iowa. These places connect to neighboring grids that source/sink any dips/excess, but these high % figures are based on renewable generation divided only by their local grid - not a real world number at all. And of no help when your neighbors bring on renewables (and if they don't, that average number drops based on that math).

Iowa is not actually 29 percent wind-powered

... One often hears about places where wind or solar is providing some startlingly high percentage of energy. These figures can be somewhat misleading. For instance, Iowa is said to get 28.5 percent of its electricity from wind. And that's true in terms of markets and accounting: 28.5 percent of the power contracts signed by Iowa utilities are with wind generators.

But Iowa does not have its own grid; it is part of the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) grid region, which includes all or part of 13 other states. The electrons on the MISO grid cannot be divided into wind electrons and coal electrons. Every load (user of electricity) on the grid is, physically speaking, consuming the same mix of energy. Currently the MISO grid gets 5.7 percent of its energy from wind and, thus, so does Iowa. ...

-ERD50

This article capsulizes some of the things I've been talking about:

The economic limitations of wind and solar power - Vox

I've been saying that once renewables get near peaks, it's going to be harder for them. They need back-up and/or storage, and/or some power is wasted, so their costs will go up. They need to re-coup their investment, even if the fuel is free, so they will need to charge more for the energy they are able to sell.

Capacity factors (average energy delivered divided by nameplate energy delivered) are in the 10's-20's for solar, 30's-40's for wind. But they say this is a very rough guide, subject to many variables.

They also address what I pointed out on the fallacy of some of the high renewable %'s reported from places like Denmark and Iowa. These places connect to neighboring grids that source/sink any dips/excess, but these high % figures are based on renewable generation divided only by their local grid - not a real world number at all. And of no help when your neighbors bring on renewables (and if they don't, that average number drops based on that math).

-ERD50

You have to love progressive states such as mine in MO. They are attempting to build wind farms in Kansas and neighboring states and are wanting to transmit the power back east for use. Unfortunately for them the lines have to go through MO and they are showing little interest in accommodating the rights to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom