Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Solo 401k tax question
Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Solo 401k tax question

I have a retirement small business (sole proprietor) and recently opened a solo 401k plan. I know that I can as a business contribute up to 25% of the net profit (plus the $17500)

But assume that I will invest only 5.5k total this year into retirement.

My question is this: Aside from the social security savings, and the fact that I could ultimately put more aside, is there a tax advantage to making my small (5k this year)contribution as a business, versus doing a traditional IRA contribution?

It seems pretax income IRA deduction (I take a salary), or a deduction from the business earnings which reduces income by 5K, has the same net effect. What am I missing?
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe that you would be able to make withdrawals prior to age 59 1/2 that are free of the early distribution 10% penalty from the 401k if leave "your employer" at age 55 or greater. This provision would not be available with the IRA option.

There was a discussion of the 401k "age 55 rule" as applied to solo 401ks at this thread.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Is anyone aware of a "guidebook" on how to fully utilize a solo 401k? Not just the advantages presented in the sales pitches, but the forms and procedures required to deal with the IRS, for example if you want to make an in-kind withdrawal, where are the forms & instructions to report the transaction, and make the tax withholding payment?
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

You mentioned social security savings. 401k contributions never lowered my social security taxes when I was working. Only the transit check allowance lowered both taxes and social security taxes.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
You mentioned social security savings. 401k contributions never lowered my social security taxes when I was working. ...
Agreed. Social Security/Medicare contributions are calculated before the payroll subtraction of your pre-tax 401k contributions.

Payroll HSA contributions, on the other hand, are deducted before SS/Medicare contributions are calculated.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I have a retirement small business (sole proprietor) and recently opened a solo 401k plan. I know that I can as a business contribute up to 25% of the net profit (plus the $17500)

It seems pretax income IRA deduction (I take a salary), or a deduction from the business earnings which reduces income by 5K, has the same net effect. What am I missing?
As a sole prop you can contribute up to about 19% of you net profit (plus the 17500) to a Solo 401k.

The contribution from the business would reduce your payroll taxes, whereas the IRA contribution wouldn't. Also, there are many differences between 401k's and IRA's (early withdrawal rules, protection from liability claims, etc.).

To me it looks like the 401k contribution is the better choice.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

+1 on using 401k to avoid FICA taxes. I give myself and wife a 2:1 match saving me boatloads in taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote